ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
backways for a 4x4 wheels beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
fendleroc

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 10:02 am    Post subject: backways for a 4x4 wheels beginner Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,

I've never been driving a 4x4 but I'd like to rent one because it's the fourth time I visit the southwest and want to go a little further.

So on my fourth time trip, I'd like to do the cottonwood road, the burr trail up to notom, hole-in-the-rock and go to sublime point on grand canyon north rim.

Is it possible to do it without any experience in 4x4 driving?

Thanks a lot
Louis
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sure, those are all ok places for a learner. Four wheel high range will cover much of your needs. Low range is for the knarly stuff. IMO, the biggest problems newbies have is thinking that 4x4 is a Sherman Tank. You still have to watch your clearance and suspension.

Another key issue is posi-traction. A vehicle with posi-traction is applying power to both wheels on an axle. You would be surprised how many vehicles do not have posi, and are not really full four wheel drive. Ask if the rental has posi and how to turn it on. Keep the shiney side up!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since were on the subject of 4x4'ing 4 Dummies, I wouldn't mind taking out my new toy to some new places.

Does anyone know of any fun places up in the N. Phoenix area to explore?

Maybe Lake Pleasant, Cave Creek, Bartlett Lake Area. I've heard of FR42 or trail 42 that i think is up by Lake Barlett but don't have any info on it at all. I heard it was pretty good for the newbee's.

TIM
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If its been recently bladed you do not need 4wd for Cottonwood Canyon road, The Burr trail or Hole in the Rock , except for the last 6-8 miles to the end of that road.
If any of those are really muddy, then may the force be with you even with 4wd.

Also if you rent a 4wd vehicle doesn't mean it is enabled; some car rental companies disable the 4wd capability as they do not want any gonzo off roading. The Death Valley chat boards have brought up that subject more than once.

Off road basics, do not straddle large boulders, drive over them, use a slow and steady approach, except deep mud or sand which I will not get into here. Best thing is to always get out and take a little walk, make sure you can navigate your vehicle in and out of where you are going. Off road tow bill for a rolled vehicle in Death Valley---$2000.00 The farther out you are, the more you pay.

The areas you mentioned above are good roads, so should not be a problem if dry.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have the time go to the mesa ranger district and get a permit for the bulldog offroad area. The permits are free and the roads in the bulldog area are fairly regularly patroled by the forest service. The roads are not maintained so they are four wheel quality, but the area is also well enough traveled by seasoned off-roaders and rangers should you need help.

Remember, the only thing a 4x4 really gets you is the ability to get stuck further from help. Do not go alone. Do not go with only one vehicle. Make sure you have the necessary supplies to stay in the truck should you get it stuck far from help. Let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back and where they should send help if you do not make it back at your scheduled time. Do not leave the vehicle. This is the surest way to NOT get found.
Abe

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Does anyone know of any fun places up in the N. Phoenix area to explore?

TIM

Tim, when you get a chance, the Senator Highway from Prescott to Crown King, then down to Black Canyon is a nice week-end jaunt. Plenty of side roads to explore.
Dean

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone here been on the 'Flint Trail' from Hite to Hans Flat in Canyonlands? I'm interested in the Land's End area and I have a Tacoma 4WD vehicle.
I did find this reference to the Flint Trail and it seems to be pretty complete but I'm curious if anyone here has had the experience to travel this road.
http://www.utah.com/offroad/flint_hill.htm

Thanks

Dean
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been up and down the Flint trail a couple of times but its been a few years. You should be ok in your vehicle, it may be tight on some of the corners. Make sure you have clearance, and take all supplies for several days to a week for driving out in that country.
The rangers used a CJ7 Jeep, a few years back added a Chevy Blazer kind of thing that made it ok up and down that to Hans Flat. You could also try calling the ranger station there and asking about trail conditions.
Dean

PostPosted: 3/1/2005, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks RedRoxx, good to find someone who has been on that road.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/1/2005, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I went and checked out FR42 today out by Lake Bartlett. I read that the trail is rated pretty easy but it was challenging enough for me as a beginner. Of course going against common sense and any advice I've ever read I went alone. Ok not really I did have my wife and my dog (who BTW doesn't like windy roads or bumpy 4x4'ing, 3 times. Sad ), but only had one vehicle. There were really only 3 spots that gave me much of a problem, had the Jeep on teeter-tottering on two wheels at one point. It felt like I was in a cartoon and I had to jump out of my seat and crawl to the back of the truck to keep it on the ground. Funny because at the point the dog also ran up front with us too.

Some nice wildflowers out there and the cholla are still glowing. The lake was colorado river brown and didn't look to appetizing to swim in. Water levels were a lot higher than when I was there last year.

All in all it was great to be outside on such a wonderfull day!
PageRob

PostPosted: 3/3/2005, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cottonwood Canyon Rd., at least at the south end, has a big sign across the middle of it saying that it is impassible. I saw some earthmoving stuff when we were driving back from Kanab on Sunday (I think, it was getting dark) so they may be regrading it...

PostPosted: 3/5/2005, 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim,

Head up to sedona when you get a chance with that Jeep. Trails of varying levels. Broken Arrow is fun and not too long for those that get cr sick. No need to worry about going alone up there. Lots of other vehicles. Watch out for the Pink Jeep tours. Most drivers are pretty rude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: