ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lower Barks Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Lower Barks Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photo set at

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=544&TNI=250

Got Friday off at the last minute and was going to join Cactuscat and dcornelius , for an outing. As it turned out they both ended up with other commitments, so I was on my own. I decided I would do something close and short, so off I went to the Peralta Trailhead, with Lower Barks Canyon as my destination. I had done this off trail hike before as a group hike and really enjoyed it. I had also spotted some things I wanted to explore further so thought today would be a good day.

I departed toward the Lower Barks drainage and was surprised to see water still running down it upon my arrival. I expected the pools to still be full of water, but wasn’t expecting running water. This made for some interesting navigation.

I took a couple of side trips on my way up the canyon. One to an old mine I had spotted, high on the hillside. It was a tough bushwack to get to the old shaft. I followed the shaft into the mountainside about 300 ft before I started to disturb bats, with the light from my headlamp. I wasn’t to comfortable in an area about four foot wide and five foot tall with bats swarming around my head so I turned around. I have no idea how much further back the shaft went.

My other side trip included a fairly hairy climb that I really shouldn’t have done, but I got to a point to where I was committed and had no choice but to continue. The views at the top were worth the climb though.

I really enjoyed my trip up the Canyon with the sound of running water all around me. There were several locations where the running water would just disappear underground then reappear further on down the canyon. There were numerous large pools (swimming holes) complete with their own minature waterfalls. I spent a lot of time sitting by one of these pools, reflecting on hiking, the things I’ve seen and experienced and the friends I have made as a result of hiking. I also took the opportunity to enjoy the cool (cold) water.

The weather was great and I had a great time, but this was one of those hikes you really like to share with others because it is such a rare experience to see with running water. Hopefully it won’t be another five years before it is like this again.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I could have joined you - I'd love to see it with running water. You'll have to take me into that mine sometime, sounds cool!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So could I, last min trip I went out to First Water and did Garden Valley Loop, was thinking about hiking Barks Canyon but left for First Water instead, had to go to town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: