ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Eagle-watching in Arizona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 2/21/2005, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Eagle-watching in Arizona Reply to topic Reply with quote

I spent a season doing this back in 1997, and it was the greatest job in the world. If anyone wants to go see an eagle nest, there are a few near Phoenix, and I can give directions. The birds are sitting on eggs right now, so it's a good time.

Quote:
PHOENIX, Arizona, February 21, 2005 (ENS) - Eighteen people are sleeping in tents for four months so they can wake up at the crack of dawn to help protect Arizona's bald eagles.

The Arizona Bald Eagle Nestwatch Program began as a weekend volunteer effort by the U.S. Forest Service and Maricopa Audubon Society. Now 19 agencies are involved with the program to monitor bald eagle breeding areas under heavy pressure from human recreational activities.

"It's part of a program that has saved the lives of 44 eagle nestlings since it began in 1978," says James Driscoll, head of the Arizona Game and Fish Department Bald Eagle Management Program. "That's equal to 10 percent of all the eagles that have lived to fly on their own in Arizona since the program started."

The nest watchers protect the eagles while they're nesting and raising young, and they also help educate the public, so people don't disrupt the breeding process. Sometimes people pass by signs marking the boundaries of an eagle closure area.

"We let them know what we're up to and why we're out here," says nest watcher Steven Alsup. "Most people are really interested and didn't realize where they were. Usually, we tell them it's best if they go back out the way they came in, and we haven't had anyone give us too much of a problem about it."

This year's nest watchers began their four month tour of duty on February 4. They will watch nine breeding areas, most along the Salt and Verde rivers in national forests, on Native American lands, and in Maricopa County parks.

The contractors will spend dawn to dusk collecting data about the eagles' behavior and notifying rescuers of any life threatening situations for the birds.

Arizona has 42 breeding pairs of bald eagles. Last year a record 47 nestlings hatched. Biologists hope for a similar number this year, although large amounts of rain have washed sediment into the river systems, which could make it more difficult for the eagles to find food. Nest watchers will play a vital role in monitoring the situation.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/feb2005/2005-02-21-09.asp#anchor7
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/21/2005, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Scott, how lucky you are!!!! I read about this program a couple of years ago, I kept tryin to figure out how I could sign up for it and not lose my job, or my kids Rolling Eyes I even called Fish and Game to see if they had any openings for a 'weekend' relief person!! (they said no Shocked I begged, they still said no Crying or Very sad).

Very cool indeed!!! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/21/2005, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Scott, how lucky you are!!!! I read about this program a couple of years ago, I kept tryin to figure out how I could sign up for it and not lose my job, or my kids Rolling Eyes I even called Fish and Game to see if they had any openings for a 'weekend' relief person!! (they said no Shocked I begged, they still said no Crying or Very sad).

Very cool indeed!!! Ok

Understand Artist at Work 's kids called to sign her up for it......used her boss's cell phone to make the call.......they still said "NO!".
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/21/2005, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Understand Artist at Work 's kids called to sign her up for it......used her boss's cell phone to make the call.......they still said "NO!".

Say What? Are you trying to say they didn't WANT me??????? Shocked

Shush you...go practice putting your boots on the right feet!!! Rant

evenstar

PostPosted: 2/22/2005, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
evenstar wrote:

Kids figured they could really party while you are gone and Cave Trolls voted you out of the dungeon....said you are a disruptive influence Eek
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/22/2005, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Kids figured they could really party while you are gone and Cave Trolls voted you out of the dungeon....said you are a disruptive influence Eek

Nah Nah! Aww...who asked YOU anyway! Rolling Eyes

evenstar

PostPosted: 2/22/2005, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:

Uh.........You did Doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: