ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
good hike in phoenix area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
foofoofunky

PostPosted: 2/20/2003, 5:09 pm    Post subject: good hike in phoenix area? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in Seattle, and am visiting my dad in Phoenix next weekend. My husband and I are really eager to do a hike, but aren't sure where to go. We'd love to see Sedona, but that's a bit of a drive. I'd like suggestions of something closer to Phoenix that isn't TOO difficult. My dad doesn't hike much, but is up for a mild experience.

You can name off some ideas, and I'll do the research to find where they are. Thanks for any help!

Lisa
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 2/20/2003, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey foofoofunky,

The Phoenix metro area is huge. Please be a bit more specific on the location you will be staying and people will be able to direct you from there to what u r looking for. ie will you be staying in Mesa, Tempe, Phoenix proper, Scottsdale, etc etc It can be over 70 miles from one corner of town to the other Laughing
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/20/2003, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The superstitions are really good for easy through difficult hikes.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/20/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, the Superstitions are the best! You could hike out of First Water Trailhead to either Parker Pass on the Dutchman Trail, or to Garden Valley on the Second Water Trail. Both are easy hikes with great scenery.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/21/2003, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with everyone that the Superstitions offer the best of all worlds. MANY hikes to choose from, you can basically manage the difficulty level of the hike very easily, trails are by and large well marked and easy to follow and some of the most spectacular scenery in the SW is to be seen out there. You really can't go wrong out in the Superstitions. Plus, if you're lucky, you may even see a little bit of a wildflower bloom out there next weekend.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/21/2003, 12:59 pm    Post subject: hikes and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
My dad doesn't hike much, but is up for a mild experience.

At that point I'd recommend the Squaw Peak Nature Trail, any of the trails from 32nd st and Lincoln. I believe they're trails 200, 200A, 8 and 8A.
Another good outing for beginners or seldom hikers would be the botanical gardens, Boyce Thompson Arborateum or the Phoenix Zoo. All have excellent walking paths.

GTG
foofoofunky

PostPosted: 3/4/2003, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

We went to Wind Cave on Sunday, and that was beautiful. It was sunny, too. Only problem was my husband getting attacked by a cactus. I guess you learn your lesson quick hiking in the desert. Monday we went to White Tanks and saw a small waterfall.

We wanted to go to Superstitions, but will save that for next time.

Lisa
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/4/2003, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cactus attacks are a common believe me.

Glad you had a good time.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/4/2003, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey - cactus attacks are really common. And you're right - after a couple of mishaps you learn your lesson. I haven't been "attacked" for years. Not since I got attacked by a cholla. Exclamation

Good to hear you had fun - maybe next time you can join some of us for a group hike.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So far I have not been attacked by one, but I did come inches from one on Pass Mountain ridgeline. I was looking at the view while hiking and looked back down to see where I was going in the nick of time. That sure gave me a scare. I quicly learned that here in the desert to stop when I want a view. Crazy

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been attacked by a prickly pear, and it wasn't the large needles, I was hit by the small buch of needles closer to the cactus. Man those things burn and there were like a dozen or so little needles in my leg..Ouch!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: