ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
State sues land developer in 'moonscaping' of desert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 11:21 am    Post subject: State sues land developer in 'moonscaping' of desert Reply to topic Reply with quote

I say we tie this guy up for the rabid cougar of Spur Cross to eat,

From today's Arizona Republic -
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0215johnson15.html
Quote:

State sues land developer in 'moonscaping' of desert

Mary Jo Pitzl
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 15, 2005 12:00 AM

State officials on Monday filed a 10-count lawsuit against a housing developer, alleging "unprecedented" damage to land, archaeological ruins, waterways and wildlife in southern Arizona.

Five state agencies joined in the suit against George Johnson, owner of Scottsdale-based Johnson International. Attorney General Terry Goddard said the suit is an attempt to redress an "unprecedented despoliation of Arizona's heritage."

Those losses include:

• Destruction of parts of seven Hohokam archaeological sites that date back more than 1,200 years.

• Blading of about 270 acres of state trust land without permission.

• The death of 21 desert bighorn sheep from diseases caused by Johnson's goat herd.

• Destruction of more than 40,000 native plants on state trust lands.

• Land clearing that resulted in the unlawful deposit of potential pollutants into Los Robles Wash and other tributaries of the Santa Cruz River.

All but one of the charges involve activities at La Osa Ranch, a tract of desert in southern Pinal County that Johnson wanted to turn into a 67,000-home development about the size of Tempe.

Johnson has since scrapped those plans and sold the land to developer Conley Wolfswinkel and the Wolfswinkel Group.

The 10th charge stems, officials say, from water-quality violations in fall 2001 at another Johnson development called South Fork, on a tributary of the Little Colorado River in Apache County.

Goddard, at an afternoon news conference, said five state agencies joined in the suit to make a powerful statement that they take the violations seriously.

"We are not talking about a few feet here and there. We are talking about moonscaping 270 acres over a period of many weeks, knocking down saguaros, filling in creeks and washes used by wildlife and destroying priceless archaeological sites," Goddard said.

"The last thing I or the Attorney General's Office wants to do is to allow a blatant violation such as this to be written off as a cost of doing business."

Johnson's attorney, Lee Stein, lamented that the state felt the need to go to court, given that Johnson and the state had been talking for a year about how to fix the problems caused by the land clearing. He said the work was accidental, although he could not immediately answer why Johnson had bulldozers rolling on land that he said was a working ranch.

Johnson has said his actions are a part of farming activities, which provides exemptions from certain state rules, including water-discharge guidelines.

But Goddard said state officials don't buy that explanation.

"It was a deliberate action in violation of a wide number of state laws," he said.

The lawsuit was welcome news to environmentalists, who objected to what they saw as Johnson's cavalier approach to land development.

"That makes my Monday!" said Jenny Neely, Southwestern representative for Defenders of Wildlife.

"It's a long time coming. Some of the scars he inflicted on the lands down there are hard to bear."

The civil suit does not seek a specific amount of compensation but asks the court to triple the damages for trespassing on state lands, seeks $70,000 to recoup the cost of treating the infected bighorn sheep, asks for a minimum of $15,750 for the 21 sheep that died due to blindness caused by the infection and asks for penalties of up to $25,000 a day for each violation of water-quality statutes.

The suit was filed in Maricopa County Superior Court.

Reach the reporter at maryjo.pitzl@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-8963.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: State sues land developer in 'moonscaping' of desert Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I say we tie this guy up for the rabid cougar of Spur Cross to eat,

GTG

You got something against rabid cougars? Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like he is trying to give the cougar a snack if ya ask me I'd say GTG has a good idea!

I want to shine!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That guy's not good enough to get eaten by cougars.

I say we make him run naked and barefoot through a cholla field, then let him spend a few days in august in the middle of his "moonscape" just to see how long it takes for dehydration to finish him off. Then we feed the cougar all his contractors, who should have known better than to work for that scum.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh the plot thickens! Ok Matt you are in charge ot torture around here from now on!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Sounds like he is trying to give the cougar a snack if ya ask me I'd say GTG has a good idea!

Think the guy'd give the poor cougar heartburn!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Chuckle

I want to shine!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/15/2005, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been complaining for quite some time, longoverdue and their are many others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: