ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Australian lady looking for backpacking company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippy

PostPosted: 2/26/2003, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Australian lady looking for backpacking company Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi
I am a very fit 62 yr old lady living in Perth, Western Australia. I have hiked and backpacked extensively in Australia, Canada and the US. It is highly probable that I will be heading to the US at the beginning of May for 9 weeks (I have a son in MA) and as always would like to enjoy some great hiking etc in some of the areas which I have not visited to date. The major problem is finding a companion (male or female) of a similar age who is retired and available to go during this time period.
If anyone is interested I would love to hear preferably as soon as possible as time to make travel arrangements is running short.
Cheers from down under.
Marion.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/26/2003, 8:12 pm    Post subject: places to go Reply to topic Reply with quote

skippy, welcome to the site. There's a few of what you're looking for around here. There's usually a few different group hikes every month if that's your thing too. If nobody like you're looking for pops in sooner or later, I'll make some suggesetions for people to contact.

GTG
skippy

PostPosted: 2/26/2003, 8:35 pm    Post subject: reply Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks GTG.
I am interested in group hikes and multiday backpacks. Whatever is on offer. For me, the problem is to find out what/who is available and when so that I can make my travel bookings. Also would need to find some very reasonably priced accommodation (the $aus is NOT doing well against the $US!!!!).
My vague plan is to leave Perth around 1st May, do some hiking/backpacking and then spend approx 4 weeks with my family in MA returning to Perth approx 5th July.
Not sure if this kind of detail is helpful or not???????
Best wishes
Marion.
mike t

PostPosted: 2/26/2003, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Skippy, monitor this site for even a short time and you will see group hikes posted all the time. If that works for you, just come on up to AZ and you will be more than welcome to join us for anything that interests you. If you're looking for something smaller or more specific let us know and we'll have to get cracking. Many of us don't plan that far out because "hey, we're already here" but I understand how that does'nt work in your case. Hopefully someone here can help you with accommodation info. (not my area in the least) Good luck and welcome to the site.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/27/2003, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Skippy - hey - nice way to get you planning in advance! Excellent idea.

If you have not already done so - you may want to visit some of the other major forums that have message boards similar to this one. Throw out all the lines you can and see what comes back. I can almost all but guarantee that you will get a few responses that will meet your needs.

I'm not familiar with all the sites available, but in addition to our site here, also go and check out:

www.hikearizona.com

They have a pretty good message forum there as well, and some good folks that contribute to the site. If you solicit a request for similar sites from the members both here and there, I'm sure you'll quickly have your fill of hiking-centered sites that you can visit and get offers for hikes or partners or whatever. I personally am only familiar with the two sites I mention here - this one and HAZ - and I cannot recommend either highly enough.

Depending on your plans, I'm sure that others can recommend sites that also focus on other areas of the US besides Arizona (although - with all due respect to the other states - Arizona does have some of the best hiking in the world - especially around May Mr. Green ).

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
skippy

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been really inspired by the responses to date and have made the decision to come to Phoenix probably 2 - 19 May which would give me 3 weekends in case there are organised hikes planned.
Now I am hoping that some of you can give me suggestions re cheap/safe/clean accomodation and also that there are some of you who might like to hike with me and show the sites.
Ever hopeful!!!!!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just keep frequenting the site - and as the time draws closer you can probably pick up a lot more volunteers. You certainly won't lack for places to go though - we're all a little biased, but Arizona has some of the best hiking anywhere.

Looking forward to possibly hiking with you for a day or so.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: