ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Greatest American
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 4:26 pm    Post subject: The Greatest American Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Discovery Channel and AOL launched a contest today asking "Who is the Greatest American?"

Here's how they state their criteria:
Quote:
When you think of the Greatest American, what single person - living or dead - comes to mind as its best example? Someone who seized opportunities, saw things in a different way, or stood out in a crowd? Someone who demonstrated determination, vision, and hard work? this person could be an inventor, explorer, entertainer, entrepreneur, or athlete. He or she may have changed the way we think, work, or live. they may have challenged us, delighted us, or outraged us, and ultimately helped us define what it means to be an American..Who do you most identify as the Greatest American?

They then have a spot to note your top 5 choices in ascending order.

So - I'm curious to know (without trying to seem to Ameri-centric) who you would choose for your list of 5?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 8:25 pm    Post subject: mine are Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abraham Lincoln
Martin Luther King Jr.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Benjamin Franklin
Mark Twain

Runners Up -

Jackie Robinson
Thomas Edison
Theodore Roosevelt
Cassius Clay
My grandaddy Allred

Some obviously more important than others, some not only picked for their good qualities.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent topic Daddee!

My choices:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln
Thomas Edison
Alice Paul
Martin Luther King

RUNNERS UP (and some non-Americans)

Alexander Fleming (he discovered Penicillin)
Albert Einstein
Susan B. Anthony
Harriet Tubman
Ben Franklin

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Abe

PostPosted: 1/22/2005, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well after giving this some thought I may upset some folks and I may just be complicating it; however, after reviewing the names I am sure those who participate will answer likewise. And with the exception of a couple names thusfar mentioned, most I recognize from the history books and are those who have faced the challenges of the past, a past I have no part of, other than to perhaps carry on with the ideas they have layed down before me. I am afraid I live for the now or my lifetime. Therefore; here is my list and it will not add up to five:

1. The military men and women serving in Iraq.
2. The men and women serving in our military.
3. The men and women struggling daily in their lifes to make ends meet, take care of families, and do what is right as Americans.
4. Men and women who give unselfishly to help others either locally or internationally.
5. Ronald Reagan
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/22/2005, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/22/2005, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Hooli Crazy

Should we all dig out the little "pukey smiley" now, or what?
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/22/2005, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Moon
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish - the rules of the online voting actually say that the persons have to be American Citizens. The example they cite is that Arnold Schwartzenager is eligible but Mother Teresa is not. So I think that all your examples of runners up count except Flemming.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abe I couldn't agree more. Especially on #3 just the ordinary person doing what they can to raise a good family.

I would put Teachers up on that list too!
tempe8

PostPosted: 1/24/2005, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pat Tillman.

Maybe he doesn't come to mind at first when people talk about past presidents and such...but when you list off the criteria that Discovory channel made, he seems to fit the bill on several levels. I also agree with Abe to a certain extent, that many historical people faced challenges and made decisions relevant to their time in history...but it's hard for us to relate with them now.

Pat Tillman was in our history. He seized the opportunity, he chose to live by his own rules, to pursue what was noble and pure. He saw things in a different light and lived his life according to a higher code. In an age of style over substance, wealth over character, he made choices and sacrifices to serve our country that few of us could ever make. I'd argue that Pat Tillman challenged all of us during a difficult time in our nations history to look inside and ask ourselves hard questions about what it means to be an American and how we should be living our lives.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh please! A society that worships money would single out Pat Tillman as a hero. "He gave up a fine paying job to go fight the war" Tell me about the guys that are leaving babies behind! The guys who's babies are born while they are away and they didn't get to be there for their birth.

I agree with Abe... the American soldier who sacrifices to go over there is the hero. Not any one man who gave up lots of money to go... ask any of our new daddies here if they would give up their money before they gave up their child or the chance to be with them as they grow their first year in life and learned to crawl, walk and talk....

Now that I have stated that I will retreat and continue to think about he question at hand and see if I can come up with a suitable answer.

I want to shine!

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Oh please! A society that worships money would single out Pat Tillman as a hero. "He gave up a fine paying job to go fight the war" Tell me about the guys that are leaving babies behind! The guys who's babies are born while they are away and they didn't get to be there for their birth.

I agree with Abe... the American soldier who sacrifices to go over there is the hero. Not any one man who gave up lots of money to go... ask any of our new daddies here if they would give up their money before they gave up their child or the chance to be with them as they grow their first year in life and learned to crawl, walk and talk....

Now that I have stated that I will retreat and continue to think about he question at hand and see if I can come up with a suitable answer.

This was something I never really thought about until my son in law went into the Army. I think the general public is misinformed about the so called benefits and advantages of being in the military. I see the hardships my daughter, son in law and new baby are going through. It is a tough haul and I have a new found respect for the men and women in our military.

I have to agree with Abe and Diane.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are many "greatest Americans" among us. Not the least of which are those that literally saved the world through their sacrifice in WWII. Even in peace-time, the men and women that put on the uniform perform their duties in environments and situations that most Americans would find unacceptable. It's easy for us to forget those who protect our way of life as we prosper and become more affluent here at home. But there is a price for that prosperity and freedom. It's in the dedication and sacrifices made on a daily basis by those that serve our nation.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
There are many "greatest Americans" among us. Not the least of which are those that literally saved the world through their sacrifice in WWII. Even in peace-time, the men and women that put on the uniform perform their duties in environments and situations that most Americans would find unacceptable. It's easy to for us to forget those who protect our way of life as we prosper and become more affluent here at home. But there is a price for that prosperity and freedom. It's in the dedication and sacrifices made on a daily basis by those that serve our nation

Amen Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The beautiful thing about this topic is that it can be looked at in different ways. If you choose to look at those individuals who left their imprint on history (Lincoln, Roosevelt) or if you choose to look at those people whos acts are heroic but will not necessarily be remembered by name in the history books (U.S. Military personnel, fathers, mothers) - you are still looking at "the greatest American" in your eyes.

I also like that certain of you have decided to explain your choices - that makes it much more interesting for me to read; I then get to see your thought process, and it gives me a little insight into who you are.

When thinking of this topic I choose to consider it based on those people who have influenced American society as a whole, those individuals who have affected the perception of what it is to be American, and perhaps affected how the world stage percieves Americans. I also chose them because they have had some influence on me personally, either because I find them fascinating or find them a useful role-model. Here is my list (with accompanying explanations):

1. Joseph Smith (was the founding member of a religion that is uniquely American and has grown into a global community over 5 million strong - and a religion I participate in)

2. John Adams (a uniquely principled individual, a man who saw the larger picture of what America could become and always chose to live by the dictates of his conscience; his was ons of the first to truly percieve the position of strength that America must occupy)

3. Theodore Roosevelt (one of the strongest personalities to ever be president of America; our current "imperial" status and regulating forms of government are formed after his initial visions - he would be incredibly unpopular politically today)

4. Abraham Lincoln (the epitome of what it means to be wise rather than learned; shepherded our country through its most difficult time; rose to prominence almost by accident, and nearly entirely based on his strength of character)

5. Albert Einstein (I thought of many scientists, but his name actually envokes the concept of science; possibly the most recognizable character in science because of his revolutionary ideas [actually more evolutionary, but still...]; a man who recognized his own weakness, but remained true to his principles despite outside influences)

So, there you have it. Feel free to discuss/contradict/agree/mock/praise - whatever.

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: