ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chapter 11 for Popular Outdoors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Campmor has about the best website I've seen for hiking stuff, plus the take anything back.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Quote:
The recent rain and snow should improve the situation this year, he added. He said the company hopes to make more sales from its Web site, www.popularoutdooroutfitters.com

Have you all seen the website? It's pretty poor. I think they had better plan on a major revamp of that too.

I knew something was up with them. Glad they're keeping the Mesa stores open for now.

Tom, the funny thing is, I was trying to locate something on their website and everything was nearly blank so I emailed them a strongly worded letter and their response was that they were in the middle of re-working the site. Sure enough, a week or two later they had nearly all the same stuff up (same very unhelpful stuff).

Anyway. I won't miss them. I'd rather give REI my business anyway. The customer service at REI puts Popular to shame, and they have a tremendously larger selection of items. I say good riddance.
gonediesel

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Chapter 11 for Popular Outdoors Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been to a couple of Popular stores in Tucson and they are open and stocked. I'd rather shop at REI also. They seem to have better staff. Popular usually has slightly better prices it seems. As far as shopping on line, REI is great. Ship to the store for free and if you do not like the item they refund it right there. Recently though I bought some stuff at Campmor.com and they have awesome prices. My wife and I picked up all new ski gear. Columbia Titanium interchangeable 3-1 jackets were less than $100. We got 2 jackets, 2 board pants for just over $200. Going to try out the new gear tomorrow at Sunrise.
mike t

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess I just don't have the same luck as the rest with REI. Having only 2 locations is a pain, they are over priced, and at the Tempe store at least, I have only met 1 guy (Bill) that knew what he was doing. And to top it it off they seem to have an attitude like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'll give you that their return policy is top notch and REIOutlet.com is good in that those items at 33-50% off are closer to an appropriate value.

I will miss Popular (although I'm right in the middle of all the open stores) but I will give you that their website is awful. I have to admit as well that most of their staff are little more more than clerks with a few here and there that know what they are talking about. But at their much lower prices that is alot easier to take.

I also like Campmor alot. I have always gotten great service. (never had to return anything yet though) The only problem, and this goes for all the websites, is that some items you just want to touch first prior to purchase. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way the marketing world is heading though. Brick and mortar stores will have a harder and harder time competing with the low overhead of online short of the Wal-mart model.

Hopefully Popular can get through this somewhat intact.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like campmor also. The only problem with them is that if you don't know what you're after already it's hard to figure out exactly what the products are from the catolog alone.

The thing that justifies the prices at RIE (for me anyway) is the fantastic customer service/return policy. I'll grant that a lot of the employees have a bit of an attitude (especially if you're not a member, but they have all those informational comparison sheets that virtually render the employees useless (until you have to check out). I guess the number of locations has never been an issue for me since I live right by the tempe store. But I could certainly see how that would be a problem for some, especially those outside the phoenix area.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Popular was quite good for me and I will miss them if they close. Since living in Arizona I have shopped Del Rays in Phoenix, Yellow Front, Petersens in Mesa, Larada's Army/Navy Surplus in Tucson, Populars orginal location in the west valley and the Hiking Shack.
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/24/2005, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hit Popular on Power and Baseline for shoes today on the way home. The racks were empty and I walked out very disappointed.
I just ordered them from REI on line.

(REI is an hour drive so it's easier to get them delivered...)

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
Hit Popular on Power and Baseline for shoes today on the way home. The racks were empty and I walked out very disappointed.
I just ordered them from REI on line.

(REI is an hour drive so it's easier to get them delivered...)

Yeah, I recently hit the Warner/Alma School store after hearing rumors from folks at work of possible "going out of business" status but prior to the chapter 11 news. They had a sign that said they weren't closing, just re-arranging, but it didn't look healthy in there at all. I hope they get it sorted out. Competition is a good thing.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:

How empty is empty? I haven't been there for a month. Does it look like they're closing too?

I always did like the store over by McKellips and Recker better for some reason. Seemed much more professional.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uh-oh - Just stopped by the Populars at McKellips and Recker and the one at Power and Rte 60/Baseline. Both were closed and have signs saying they are permanently closed.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya know, at least they could have had a 'going out of business' sale, or something.

Crap.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe wrote:
Uh-oh - Just stopped by the Populars at McKellips and Recker and the one at Power and Rte 60/Baseline

Joe, I think you are turning into a gear-aholic Laughing what could you possible need? (besides don't you have an order from Campmor on the way???)
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, at least I know I'm a gear-aholic.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and admitting you have a problem is first step towards help.

Of course if ever there were a problem to let run rampant it might gear-aholism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: