ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dragoons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Dragoons Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about this area? I can't seem to find anything. Mary
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heat spent some time there not too long ago, so I am sure he will share it with you. Try searching the Cochise Stronghold for a little history on the area. Last time we were in Tombstone, the Dragoons appealed to me from the distance...still trying to get there myself.
I feel a trip comin' on. Surprised
SJ
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've hiked the trail thru the Stronghold to the pass and over the top then back. It was nice with nice views and good bouldering everywhere. I think a little over 7 miles?? Horses use it too so expect some poop.

Developed campground on the east side, secluded car camping elsewhere.
Other than that--I'm clueless.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cochise was buried in the East Stronghold. There is a West Stronghold too, accessible from near St. David or from a side road off Middlemarch Pass Road. Very pretty scenic area. Start with a NFS Coronado map then zero in. There used to be a wolf run along the western edge which ran from the Mule Mtns up to Texas Canyon and from there up to hiking areas in the Galiuros which RedRoxx has described here. When researchers were looking for any trace of Mexican lobo still entering Arizona, this was one of the places they focused on. Probably not since the 60's but still a nice hope. Old time ranchers used "coyote getters" which used a .22 blank to shoot a poison pellet into the foot that stepped on them. Probably got and an occasional dog and maybe a wolf or two. Wolf is mucho smarter than Br'er Coyote at avoiding things touched by humans.

Between this area and the Chiricahuas, it is easy to see that Cochise had an eye for real estate, both defensible and aesthetic.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, this at least gives me a start! Mary
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The area on the west side of the Dragoons does not have much traffic as the south and east. Take not of the terrain, Mexican highland lots of walnut trees. Several years ago was a an old adobe ruin on the west side, visited council rock and look for white house ruin but lots of catclaw. I have a friend that has 20 acres on the west side adjacent to the national forest. Instead of driving farther south to Middlemarch, I can take Ranch road but it is private. Get a Coronado map to plan your access and a 7.5 USGS topo map to explore the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: