ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Favorite AZ eats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Favorite AZ eats Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't think of anything more I hate after a hike than to stop somewhere to eat and find out 1st hand that the food sucks! So I'm going to list a few of my favorites and I hope others will too (maybe we can start some kind of food review database). Tucson- El Charro 311 N. Court Ave. & Mi Nidito 1813 S. 4th Ave.. Payson- Bee Line Cafe on east side of AZ 87. Jerome- Haunted Hamburger. Flagstaff- Weatherford Hotel in downtown & Burritos Fiesta next to Bookmans (best green chili tamales). Globe- Chalo's Casa de Reynoso, past downtown on US60 (has a small glass atrium), blows Guayo's away. Happy eating Smile
Glitter

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's a good topic! Let's see-Flagstaff-Pasto off of Aspen or Racha Thai which is a block from there. Tucson-El Cubanito, right across from Wildcat Stadium. Payson-The Knotty Pine, east side of 87. Strawberry-The Strawberry Lodge of course. Globe/Miami-The Burger House, it's the first thing you see on the left coming into Miami. Superior-Dos Hermanos, on your right, can't miss it. Safford-The Pima Freeze, just outside of Safford. Springerville-The original Los Dos Molinos. And for drinks you have to stop at the Crystal Palace in Tombstone.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I second the BeeLine Cafe. Chocolate Malts to die for, especially after logging 15 miles.
Fountain Hills has a good Sushi joint. (forgive the fact that no sushi joint in this state is fresh fish)
another good cheap eats is Mike&Rhonda's in Flag

what i do
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Murphy's in Prescott. (Ummmmm.... Prescott Red!!) The Manzanita Inn in Cornville. I know CatValet will second both of those. Wink
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sedona~~~Coffee Pot Restaurant 2050 W Highway 89A

Payson~~~Mad Dawg & Mels 407 W Main Street

Mesa~~~Red, White & Brew 6740 E McDowell

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 11/18/2004, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Paris...Rome...London...Frankfurt.......ROCK SPRINGS Wink
( just off I-17 in downtown Black Canyon City.) I know several of us have been there. Good homestyle grub and world famous pies.
Saw a diddie on the Azhighways magazine show about the piemaker lady...she cranks out about 15,000 pies a year!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 11/19/2004, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, Mike is right. Also, Gurley Street Bar & Grill in Prescott, Dara Thai and Busters (especially the prime rib and the crab cakes) in Flagstaff, La Fiesta in Douglas. The Mexican place at the corner of 191 and 70 in Safford is pretty good.
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/21/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll second Gurly St in Prescott.
I'll add Dam Bar and Grill in Page
The Red Onion - Heber/Overguard) I've heard rumors they closed or changed names?)
Troyas (spelling?) in Sedona is amazing.

PostPosted: 11/22/2004, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whereveriroam wrote:
Jerome- Haunted Hamburger. Globe- Chalo's Casa de Reynoso, past downtown on US60

I'll second these two... And add one or two here, maybe more when my memory functions better.
For breakfast on the way up the I-17 in the vicinity of Black Canyon, the 4 B's. With good homestyle kitchen fair, there is nothing like their 3 stack of pancakes that measure nearly 2 feet wide when you are trying to carbo load on your way to the trail!
Also in Flag, the little bakery in the same complex as Desert Mountain Sports, just south of the Target complex. Ok, so it isn't really a meal, but the bread is very good. Buy a couple loaves as it makes a good snack on the drive home as well as it freezes well to have later too! Particularly the cherry chocolate they used to make only on Saturdays.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/28/2004, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cave Creek/Carefree - Uncle Louie's
grrlscout

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of Coffee Pot in Sedona, as long as you get there early or during the week. Otherwise, the wait is excruciating.

I'm kind of a brewery junkie, so I stop at one in one in every town - Oak Creek Brewery (by Basha's, not ToLockYour Pocket), Jerome Brewery (in addition to HH), Prescott Brewery, Flagstaff Brewery.

Though, some of those are better for the beer than the food. For example at that OKB location, there is no kitchen, but German snacky things and sandwiches. I'm so bummed that the Apricot Wheat is almost gone. Sad

I've always wanted to go to Beeline Cafe, thanks to the reviews posted here. But I haven't made it out that way lately.

And I'll have to try Murphy's in Prescott. Murphy's in Cottonwood kinda blows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are 3 more that are good in the Show Low/White Mountain area. I'll also endorse Glitters recommendation of the original Los Dos Molinos in Springerville, be warned the food is VERY flavorable and hot but this place is not for people who don't like it hot. The staff is friendly at the Springerville location unlike they are at the Central (PHX) and Mesa locations. The 2nd one is La Casita which I believe is a sister store to Chalo's in Globe, it's located on 260 in Show Low on the way to Lakeside/Pinetop. It's across the street from Walmart and the hospital but is hard to spot since it's set back from the road. A good reference is it's just to the west and in back of Walgreens. The 3rd one is Licano's (formally The Pink Pony) in Show Low, it has an American and Mexican menu and is located on the east facing side of US60 between the 2 intersections of 260 in the heart of Show Low. I tried several other places in Pinetop and Lakeside but was not impressed. I'll try and find some other good eats in this area, stay tuned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: