ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Picacho Peak + ASU game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/13/2004, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Picacho Peak + ASU game Reply to topic Reply with quote

Today my cousin Rob and I decided to go to hike Picacho Peak. I picked him up from his work around 11 and we grabbed a bite to eat and were off on the 10 towards tucson. We got on the Hunter Trail around 12:30 and made good progress on it, not stopping until we hit the peak. The trail is a steady climb then you loose a few hundred of those precious feet you just climbed to have to go up again. The are a few sections with cables set up because the trail gets real steep. The views from the top were great. Does anyone know what the mountain w/ the towers on top is directly to the east of Picacho? We made it to the top in an hour and took a 15 minute break. We made it back down in 45 minutes with a few slips from all scree on the trail. Overall it's a real nice 4 mile hike thats only an hour or so away from town. Afterwords we showered at his place and then went to the ASU game ans they beat the crap out of Washington State 45-28. ASU also retired Pat Tillmans number during the half-time ceremony. There was also a fly-over before kick-off with some helicopters.
-TIM-
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/13/2004, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Does anyone know what the mountain w/ the towers on top is directly to the east of Picacho?
That'd be Newman Peak, the highpoint of the Picacho Mountains. It's actually due north of Picacho Peak.
tempe8

PostPosted: 11/13/2004, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Picacho Peak + ASU game Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Does anyone know what the mountain w/ the towers on top is directly to the east of Picacho?

The only peak of any size with towers on top, that's close to Picacho is Newman Peak...but it is perfectly North of Picacho, not East. I've wanted to climb up Newman, it looks a little taller than Picacho, but I've never heard of any documented trails. It doesn't look too difficult to just bush whack up though.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/14/2004, 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Newman_Peak_8520.asp
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2004, 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah that must be it. I though that I-10 was running N/S at that point but it's more like a NW/SE so just across the freeway would be north. I may give that one a shot sometime. Thanks,
TIM
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/14/2004, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have done Picacho! It was fun! It was one of my earliest hikes. I actually did that one with Glen. It was the one and only time I have hiked with Glen. He is a strong hiker! Very enjoyable hike.

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/14/2004, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was a real pleasure Diane. You are a strong hiker and a wonderful trail companion. Your enthusiasm is something I will not forget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: