ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt San Jacinto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike t

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mt San Jacinto Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I know it's not AZ, but I think there is some interest amongst members about this hike, so I thought I would post up.

This trip was supposed to happen a year ago but my partners and I never got the training in to our satisfaction so we set our sites on this year. Saturday, November 6th became the target. After a few concerns about the weather, it appeared Mother Nature would smile on us, and we ended up with perfect conditions.

This trip entailed the ascent from Palm Springs to the Aerial Tramway from the Desert Museum trailhead. All told, an elevation gain of 8400 feet over a bit more than 11 miles. I had a borrowed Garmin Forerunner 201, but experienced some trouble with it along the way. Both my partners had very close measurements of 11+ miles with their various instruments. I will pass that info on after I speak to them next. I mention this because articles vary widely on the actual length of this trail from 8 to 12 miles. We did not go the additional 6.5 miles up to the summit.

I will post a few pics in the gallery but in all I did not take many. Our focus on this trip was a race against the clock(and ourselves). I had hoped for a 6 hour or under time but came in at 6:20:14. (something to eat at me over the next year) Some can beat 6 hours, a very few can beat 4 hours, but for a comfortable pace I would guess 10-12 hours would be the norm.

The trail starts up abruptly from the back corner of the Palm Springs Desert Museum, climbing steeply for the first mile or so. Vegetation is typical low desert stuff, the trail rocky with big steps in spots similar to Camelback or Squaw Peak. Through miles 3-6 the trail is steep with intermittent level portions to catch your breath and a brisk pace is possible through here if desired. Around mile 7-8 though the trail steepens again and our first snow was encountered. Mile 8-9 was where I fell apart as far as time and conditioning went. Snow was the issue from mile 9 to the top. Considerable care was needed in terms of foot placement and route finding was a little iffy in places. Fortunately for me, I was the last of our trio, so I had fresh tracks to follow. Topping out into Long Valley was quite a relief to say the least, although there is still a bit of hike still ahead to the actual tram station, you know that you are almost there.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds great, this one is definitely on my list. To go from the bottom all the way to the top is known as the Cactus to Clouds hike. I hope to get this done next year sometime, may actually be able to do it now that my main hicking buddy is moving to CA. Thanks for the report.
-TIM-
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't have though there would have been that much snow there. Is there a consensus as to the best time of year to do it? Is there plenty of parking at the trailhead, I had read somewhere that there isn't any, or do you have to shuttle cars from the tram station? Getting myself confused here Confused
sidhayes

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The best time for the year to climb it is in October, before snow falls and after the summer heat has ended. There is plenty of parking at the trailhead and nearby. We took the aerial tram down and took a taxi back to the start. Started at 6:30 am and back to the trailhead at about 2:30. None of us wanted to go to the summit on this day. Too much snow and I was too tired.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/8/2004, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sid you sure do seem to pop-in when some big hikes get done. Thanks for the Oct info, what about spring time, late Apr or May?
-TIM-
sidhayes

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis, some do it in April and May. It depends on the melt off of the snow that accumulated all winter. All of us would like to climb it again. Meanwhile, we are thinking about another hike to do that is challenging. Any ideas?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Meanwhile, we are thinking about another hike to do that is challenging. Any ideas?

Wish I could tell you one but I think your the expert here when it comes to challenging hikes. I would love to go with you sometime, but I could never keep up with your kind of pace.
-TIM-
sidhayes

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your welcome to go Davis, we all go at our own pace and meet up along the way or at the end.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/9/2004, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just shoot me a PM next time you have something in mind, if it's something I can tackle then I'm all for it, I have no problem catching up with you at the end.
-TIM-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: