ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lookout Mountain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Lookout Mountain Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there a trail going up there? Just for the heck of it I wanted to hike up there real quick, to have done all these little mountains around my apartment in N Phoenix.
mike t

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes. According to "Day Hikes and Trail Rides in and around Phoenix" by Roger and Ethel Freeman (Gem Guide Books) there are several trails in the area. A couple of spur trails not detailed in the book, a 2.79mi circumference trail, a 0.54 540ft summit trail, and a 0.21mi access trail. Summit trail is identified as tr150 and circumference as tr308. They describe access as "Take 16th street and park at the trailhead. This trail starts from Circumference trail [308] at 0.1 mile." It also describes the circumference trail as leaving 16th st trailhead and heading SW, meeting trail 150 at 0.1mi.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great thanks, so looking at my atlas I see 16th street, as I'm looking I see Shadow Mountain, anything on that? I figure I live right there I might as well go up them. They are there to be done, even if only half a mile!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Used to live on the slopes of lookout mtn. Take 16th street south off of the Greenway Parkway and drive to the end. There is a water tank off to the east and the summit trail starts straight ahead, swithbacks to the sadle and follows the ridgeline to the summit. I have never done the circumference.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks kurthzone, it seems like the trails arent very long, I could probably do 'em all in one shot. By the way is there any type of fee, I would guess no but just to be sure.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
ck1

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Our first summer out here we did Lookout...took like 25 minutes...at a slow, slow pace...great views from the top...bees....another one nearby is just south of there....can't remember the name right now, don't want to go get the book...the mtns that surround the water reservoir...let me look it up..

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was training on it every week durring the early part of the winter until my knee was in shape enouph to go up Camelback. There is a trail that will lead you to all 5 points on Lookout. It would take me about 45 minutes to hike all 5 points. THere are trails all over the mountains. The little spire off to the side is a fun little climb.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just went and did the circumphrence trail and the summit trail. Nothing special and not very tough but there weren't many people so that was a positive.
-Ed Abbey
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you do all 5 points 2 times its a good workout to keep your legs in shape. Thats all I used the mountain for. Nothing special, just something close to home to keep me in shape.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/11/2003, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from a short stroll up N Mountain with my two dogs. It's a nice easy one to do with the dogs, mostly because my Shepherd has a complex about leading, he can never be behind, which makes him a pain in my rear for real hikes. Thats why I only will ever take him on a solo hike in the middle of nowhere. Cool
-Ed Abbey
k9hiker

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you do all of N. mtn or just the part that is mostly paved?

I like taking my dog up NM too, but sometimes I get dirty looks from other hikers becuase she's with me. I usually just smile and slip a poop bag in the pack as they walk by. Mr. Green
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/12/2003, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well we started at the Maricopa Ramada, went up the short trail part. Then it was mostly paved until where it looks like most people turn around at the end of the paved, but we went up the last little trail part and there was no one, so we relaxed for a bit at the top there. This was the first little hike for my black lab pup, he had fun. My German Shepherd loves to hike, but feels he must "lead" so he's a pain most of the time, unless I'm on a less traveled trail.
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: