ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MSR Trekker Insert
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice shelter! That looks ideal. Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, awesome photo's per usual. Your rig is slightly different than mine and looks a bit more versatile with the fly. Mine is an MSR Bughut and sets up with a set of regular poles. In any case you will get great pleasure stargazing without having to worry about rattlers crawling in your bag to warm themselves on cool nights. I may have to look into you new setup.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well you got me going on this Kent. I have been trying to figure out something like this for a while now. As you can sort of see this whole thing sets up with four trekking poles or some trees is you happen to be around any. The mesh tent uses two poles. I like to sleep bug free as I have had a scorpion crawl across my face in the night before. I brushed it off without getting stung. Shocked "The rest of the night I repeated the mantra, you don't bother them, they won't bother you". Mr. Green

This set up is so small that I carried it in my daypack not even remembering it was there today. When I saw the tortoise I thought of Nighthiker and how he woke up with one in bed with him.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
"The rest of the night I repeated the mantra, you don't bother them, they won't bother you". Mr. Green

This set up is so small that I carried it in my daypack not even remembering it was there today. When I saw the tortoise I thought of Nighthiker and how he woke up with one in bed with him.

Okay, you guys are starting to convince me, that I shouldn't be sleeping out on my tarp. I'm hoping a mantra works, that's what I did in Havasu Canyon, as I was falling asleep with no sleeping bag and on top of my bivy. I just asked that all bugs and wild life respect my boundaries and leave me alone for the night. They did. I would NOT be a happy camper if something decided to crawl in bed with me. Mary
mike t

PostPosted: 10/18/2004, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
Glen, I have a new Gregory G-pack, it's an anti gravity pack
Mary

Does that mean it floats? I could be interested in that. Laughing No wonder Gregory packs cost so much.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/18/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got mine on sale at campmore, the best $69 I've ever spent! My last pack cost me over $300. It feels like it floats compared to my old pack. Mary
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/18/2004, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got a Campmor catalogue in the mail today. I think I'll curl up with it tonight and see what is inside.
doug

PostPosted: 10/20/2004, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For any body that likes this tarp set up they may want to check out campmor's web page the 2003 insert is $70, the fly is $90. I don't know if they changed much but it is still a good looking set up.
doug

PostPosted: 10/20/2004, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary,
I have a Gregory Z-pack the larger form of the G. I went to it from a old Kelty that was a hefty 7# 12 ozs. Next step is to a bivy from the the 3.5 # tent, looking at the Black Diamond Lightsabre at 1.4#. The goal is 25# for five days with 10# of water and still eat good and not be lacking in comfort.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/2/2006, 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Below I have copied and pasted (from IGO's REI tent forum a couple weeks ago) what I thought about a very similar tent on a recent hike to Havasupai. Please keep in mind that the user of this tent was a novice backpacker, and that the campsite was already pretty full with three other tents, and that he really didn't know how to set it up correctly. However, there is no getting around the fact that not only does it take up a lot of room and have all those guy ropes for your friends to trip over, but it could never be set up in one of those really marginal small campsites one sometimes settles for. It really does use a lot of space. The MSR Missing Link is just like what you showed in the photo, but with fabric instead of all the netting. Here's what I wrote then:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"While we're on the subject of tents, I saw one I'd never buy while I was at Havasupai. It's called the MSR Missing Link. It's a sort of tarp shelter, weighs about 3 lbs, sleeps two. You need trekking poles (How I hate that pretentious yuppie ecotour word, "trekking!" Let's call them hiking poles, shall we?) to set it up, and lots of guying out with cords. Sort of a tarp/tent. So far so good....

Here's what I didn't like about it. It takes up about 5 times as much room in the campsite as a normal tent because of all the guy wires, which unsuspecting friends will (and did!!) likely trip over. It sags desperately. It has a high profile, very un-aerodynamic. It looks as though you'd have to use about 100 feet of cord to get it to stand up to even a 30 mph wind (let alone a real storm.) You'd have to tether it out all over the place. Also, you have to either bring two hiking poles or find some other way to set it up, using trees, etc. Assuming there are trees and a very large flat spot in the same place! And places to pound a lot of stakes in, etc., etc.

I'm sure someone is getting good use out of this tent, but the one I saw was being used by a novice backpacker, and after talking to him I realized he had no clue what he'd have to do to keep that tent upright if an actual storm came up. Plus he hadn't bothered to bring any hiking poles and had to beg a pair off someone else to set it up!"_________________
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/2/2006, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just now noticed how old most of the rest of this discussion was, from 2004! My goodness, they can just resurrect themselves, can't they! Well, I stand by what I said before--ok shelter if you have lots of room and set it up correctly, and if you're in the habit of using two hiking poles. Jury's still out on the 50 mph wind--will this shelter remain standing?
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/2/2006, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen that is way cool... I really like that tent and tarp. Man I gotta stop looking at this stuff you guys get. Michelle stop looking....

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 5/3/2006, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I just now noticed how old most of the rest of this discussion was, from 2004! My goodness, they can just resurrect themselves, can't they!

Heheh, the infamous "necropost"
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 5/3/2006, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the resurrecter has been 86'd Mr. Green a bit of spam it appears

I am glad I kept the images up on my imageevent account though. I have used the Henry Shire's tarp tent more than the insert but we always take at least, a 5x7 silnylon tarp on trips where it may rain. Lounging under a tarp is so much more appealing than in a tent durning the afternoon hours or when cooking, reading or working on some project.

It is nice having several types of shelters to choose from depending on what the trip entails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: