ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trash or treasure?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard there was set of keys on one of the boulders beside the road to Carney Springs for a couple weeks, but they were gone yesterday.

Joe Sixpack left about 4 oranges with of peels up Siphon Draw, was able to bend over and pick up a bunch of it yesterday, but dang it hurt.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I find something that could have been left by someone, I either leave it or place it conspicuously on a bush or rock. I have carried a lot of trash out of the Supes and also two packs. One was a small daypack that had two empty water bottles in it. It was on one of my favorite lesser hiked trails so I watched it. When it was still there a month later I packed it out. The second pack was a fully loaded (45 pounds) backpack. There was a note at the trailhead about a lost backpack. When I found it, it was faded except where the straps were shading it from the sun. I packed that out and called it's owner who was very pleased to get it back. I'd never just grab a backpack and take off. That's life and death out here and besides, the owner might be armed! Bang
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I Was in thunderbird park last summer, off trail and about 1/4 way down from the top, on a very steep side of a hill, i found a pair of rollerblades and a backpack ( empty ) . I thought it was kinda spooky and was hoping to not find a body. I check every now and then, its all still there.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:53 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wallet etc.; take with you and send it to them by ID, anything else just leave there.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk wrote:
I Was in thunderbird park last summer, off trail and about 1/4 way down from the top, on a very steep side of a hill, i found a pair of rollerblades and a backpack ( empty ) . I thought it was kinda spooky and was hoping to not find a body. I check every now and then, its all still there.

Now that would make me wonder. A lot. Maybe the police should know about that stuff.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now that would make me wonder. A lot. Maybe the police should know about that stuff.

I agree.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My sisters friends found a body in the woods once near our house. In case your wondering I didn't have anything to do with that Laughing . On the trail if I find garbage that can be packed out in a pristine area I usually will. If I find stuff in a busy area such as First Water I usually leave it.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We found a pack with a sleeping bag, undies, and emty bottles in it at Tilted Mesa on the Nankoweap Trail last weekend. We looked around for a body, but not too hard. From the looks of it, we speculated that someone just didn't feel they could carry it anymore, it was certainly not a complete pack. I thought about carrying it out, but not for long.
overrocked

PostPosted: 3/8/2004, 9:26 pm    Post subject: trash or treasure Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found a real cool pair of sunglasses, but I lost my bandana. Crying or Very sad Now when am I going to learn a knot that won't let me lose the durn thing while it's drying on a loop. Evil or Very Mad It's just knot long enough to do a triple fishermans
samiam

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When i was in junior high i was in a hike group from school and my leader always said a good hiker comes out with more trash than he goes in with if you know what i mean. He would always give us some kind of reward for the most picked up.I remember picking up so much stuff on the first water trail,about a wal-mart bag full,mostly wrapers and ziplocks...I havent been ther in 20 years and dont know if it has changed but i know the next time i take a hike im going to use those same rules i learned way back then. Ohh also i run a motor grader for a living was that blade still good? naww just kidding.the old timers used to use them for erosion and such. I dont know if i would wanna carry that around to long Laughing I seen alot of good advise on this subject, This a really good site i cant believe i didnt find this a long time ago. Wink Also about the cigarett butts? thats kinda defeating some of the perpous isen't it Question
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple of times I had misplaced (well really I dropped them), one a valuable hat , and another a good pullover and actually hiked back in the next day and found them, LOL Laughing
I have found alot of personal items, sometimes I take them out , sometimes I don't.
vls01

PostPosted: 6/13/2004, 10:42 am    Post subject: Trash or Treasure Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ditto on all of you saying don't touch the poop in a pouch. I have found that laying on the ground here in Michigan, and wonder of wonders, the nice owners had picked it up on the way out of the hiking area. I guess if they are responsible enough to pack the pooches poop, then they are responsible enough to pack it out on the way back.

There are nice people wherever I roam.
Kim

PostPosted: 6/16/2004, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i met a guy that lives near south mtn that says he's the one who called the city to have them put the dog poop bag pole near the trail entrance near his house. he said he packs it out on the way back. Before that I always wondered if people got the sign messed up, because it says "degradable bags." I wondered if people thought they were biodegradable. never seen a bag sitting there for a really long time.

cig butts and cits is my pet peave.

i found a box of skinned possums once in the woods in MASS when I was a kid. I had heard that people used to do satanic rituals in those woods.
samiam

PostPosted: 6/17/2004, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

they do alot of satanic skinning in oklahoma to,i found a dog coon and cat skinned on the side of the road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: