ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Barnhardt & Brodie Seep Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Barnhardt & Brodie Seep Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

Barnhardt is always a great trip, we added a loop past Brodie Seep to make it a bit more interesting today. There was much discussion as to the distance, but TOPO can only offer an estimate because the trail from the Barnhadt-Divide junction southwest to the Brodie Seep-Divide junction is not on the topo maps. So substituting a likely contour line, it offers a few close estimates. TH to Divide-5.34, probably consistent with the FS sign showing 6 miles, knowing that TOPO reads low on trails with lots of tight switchbacks and curves. The loop from the Barnhadt-Divide junction thru Chilson camp past Brodie Spring to Divide Trail to Barnhadt-Divide junction reads 4.38, again probably a bit low given the switch backs. I'm going to say 15.5, anyone with a GPS track on this is welcome to correct that. Gain (gross) is over 3,400 ft.

It was a wonderful day, the hills are green yet, some water in the drainages, the waterfall was running although not gushing, and the temps and breezes were accommodating.

We had lunch at Chilson camp, took a few pictures, rested briefly, and decided to add the Brodie Seep loop. Nice views to the west from the Divide trail, then back down Barnhardt.

We encountered a mountain biker at the falls coming down, took a minute to grasp what was wrong with that picture-no bikes allowed in a Wilderness!

We went to Rye for dinner. The consensus of the group was thumbs up, it was a great top off for a great day. The Rye burger, super size, hit the spot, but as I've said here before, the spot is an easy target after a hike. Check it out.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope you guys pointed it out to that Mountain Biker that he was there illigally!?

I'll keep Rye in mind for the next time I'm in that area (Wed), sounds great.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

We encountered a mountain biker at the falls coming down, took a minute to grasp what was wrong with that picture-no bikes allowed in a Wilderness!

This seems to be happening more and more. I remember Nighthiker posting something about seeing tracks somewhere in the Supes. Last weekend, we saw a lot of tracks on our way back from Black Top Mesa, along the Dutchman. The tracks weren't there on our way in, or we just didn't notice them. I wonder if it's ignorance of the rules, or lack of respect for them. Earlier this year, Victor and I had a mountain biker call to us "Hikers off the trail" as they came up on us in South Mountain Park. Funny, I always thought they were supposed to yield to hikers, not the other way around... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, great write up! Sounds like a great hike!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 4/18/2004, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, I believe its lack of respect. Surely they read the signs as the rest of us do. I just about stopped hiking SM for that reasons. Can't tell you how many times I came close to being run over by Bikers whipping around boulders. Then they expect the hiker to jump to the side (which I always do in order to stay unharmed). It's this "I do what I want" generation (now I'm sounding like an old fart - no comment Tom! Laughing )

The other problem - not enough Rangers nor enough people speaking up. I think just rolling over and giving in only reinforces that they can do as they want. Twisted Evil
GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Leva

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to own and ride a small horse who was known at the stable where I boarded as the "900 pound pit bull" ... she had an unusual streak of aggression for a horse.

We were minding our own business in one of the mountain parks when a bike rider whipped past us and yelled, "F____ horses!"

That mare lunged after the guy on the bike and the only reason she didn't take a chunk out of his back was I knew her well enough to yank her head aside as soon as she started to move. As it was, I'm sure he heard her teeth click together. Smile

Leva
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would have let her go and just shrugged my shoulders. Twisted Evil
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is justifiable to shoot a biker in the wilderness area, eh? Maybe its time for the old fat man to start packing heat again.....

PS- Sean, any water coming out of the pipe in the wooden box at Chilson. When we were in the Mazzys three weeks ago, we pumped at Bear, saw some at Fisher, Windsor was really skanky, orange and green sludge. THe Payson Ranger told us Chilson had flat quit a couple years back.

We walked DOWN Barnhardt. First time I've ever done that. Everytime before I've gone down Shake Tree. Barnhardt gets little am direct sunlight which must help it stay green. -R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: