ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What's a good Sedona overnighter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 9:07 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Felecia, With so many of us taking offense to that post, it WAS offensive; and not the first such post from MikeinFHAZ. And no need to "Waist" anyone's time with e-mail replies.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Felecia

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 10:02 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

It is just sad that one can be so ridiculed for stating their opinions, making jokes, and giving suggestions - just because some people disagree. Guess that is the down side of typing, tone is very hard to decipher.
mike t

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 10:03 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Is there no room on this site for differences of opinion? While this site has tried harder and harder to be "nice" it has also become, ironically enough, intolerant itself of anyone that doesn't agree with the status quo (mikeinfhaz) or participate in group outings (sidhayes). I did not see the post from mikeinfhaz so I can't really comment but the beating sidhayes took some time ago for the simple crime of not coming out and "proving himself" was just as rude as anything one might like to read. Those involved should be ashamed of themselves and this attack on mikeinfhaz has the same smell to it. Where are the moderaters and administrators now?? I've noticed sidhayes posts very infrequently anymore, depriving us of his expertise and lifelong experience of exploring this state. I hope we do not also lose the voices of more members with their unique opinions and insights.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 10:15 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Felecia wrote:
Besides if you have ever hiked in that area you would know that about 75% of the hikers you see are GAY/Lesbians and that most of those are DAY hikers.

Just wondering how, exactly, you can tell that 75% are gay? My "Gaydar" is not even that good. Are they just making out all over the trails, or what?
Felecia

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 10:28 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Please, we all know it is not that extreme.
Also you know it is not that hard to identify ones sexual prefrence. Most people are open about their preferences so there are many ways you can observe from subtule touches to their hiking partner, hand holding, to the more extreme pride patches, shirts, hats etc. A lot of times people will tell about their partner in a very basic initial first conversation with a stranger.
Disclaimer:
My number is not cold hard statistics but is a guesstimate of what has been seen and experienced.
Not claiming to have amazing "Gaydar" powers or anything of the sort! lol
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 11:10 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Hey mike T, you just stated that you haven't even seen some of the other posts in question. Have you been chomping at the bit to see something like this occur here on AZH so you could "bash" back? Personally, I think the sidhayes anomaly is a bunch of BS. You are the only one that I know of who has actually even claims to know sidhayes. Makes one wonder. But, that is only MY OPINION.

Another OPINION I have, is that we should all drop this public bantering and go along our merry ways, or move it to PMs/e-mail etc.

One last OPINION for now; We are a pretty tight-knit group here at AZH, and this site is open to anyone who wishes to participate. You probably think this is impossible, but it's kind of obvious sometimes what a person's real intentions are. And when a large majority of the active members agree, separately and on their own accord, more than likely the general consensus is correct.

We don't twist arms to join AZH. We don't force anyone to be active in the forum, or group events. Sometimes tempers flare a bit, and things can get a bit misconstrued like any other community. This is a pretty peaceful place and entertaining to be around I'd say.
ck1

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 11:14 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

The reasoning and justifications for the comment in question seem absurd. The comment was an attempt at a joke. It wasn't a good joke, was insensitive, and lacked tact.

I really hate to believe that people think they can use the word "gay" pejorativly and not expect to be asked not to. It's insensative and rude.

As for my question regarding how one becomes a professional hiker...it was rhetorical

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/21/2004, 11:46 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Think Carol's original request has been answered....and then some, Shocked so let's go on to bigger and better things. Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: