ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Thompson Peak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Thompson Peak Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hiked Thompson Peak early this a.m. with a friend and watched a beautiful sunrise while seeing almost no one all the way to the summit.

Started at the Golden Eagle Trailhead since the Park doesn't want people hiking the fire/utility road. After .3 miles on Dixie Mine Trail you reach the Park gate where they want $1 deposited into the "IRON RANGER". Followed the trail a couple miles to junction with fire/utility road where the real climb begins.

Had to get back home quickly for family business so didn't spend much time enjoying the beautiful view or sites today. (always a next time)

On the way back we passed only a few people coming up the climb b/4 the junction/turn at Dixie Mine Trail. However, once on the Dixie Mine trail we encountered a Ranger leading 40 tourists to the Dixie Mine.

Quote:
The Ranger informed us the Peak is suppose to be off limits due to fallout from Sept 11. The Ranger says nothing is posted about this and there are no signs stating the Peak is off limits which isn't even part of the Park. Additionally, all research so far seems to indicate that the summit of Thompson Peak isn't off limits. Finally, we've been hiking and know others who hike the Peak very often since Sept 11 without any problems so be aware.

We were able to complete 9+ miles in just under 3 hours b/4 in got too hot. This is definitely a morning hike or night hike on warm days due to the steep grade. I even heard from someone today who started at 1pm and said it wasn't much fun due to today's warm temp's and said they'd hike it next time in the a.m.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man I wish that was a shorter hike....

9+ pushes my knees to the limit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: