ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
For all you fishermen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 9:00 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice, I was just in Durango not that long ago. I caught 3-20 inch steel head trouts. Stayed at my friends place out there. Great country.
ck1

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This past summer I spent 10 days at a fly-in fishing camp in Canada. Now fishing isn't my forte, but I know what I'm doing. After a day out on the lake, my buddy and I didn't catch a thing, so I went out that night with one of the 12 guys we were with...this guy taught me how to fish for the type of fish in our lake (walley/northern)...anyway...he used a thrift store fly rod to land HUGE northern! I was amazed...I always figured that fly rods were for "smaller" fish, obviously I was wrong...this guy was landing more fish than any of us...

"The Journey is the Destination"
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cK1, you would be amazed how large a fish you can land with a fly rod. Heard of Tarpon? Marlin?
Yes its true in Florida it is not uncommon to catch a 45" 25lb. Tarpon. My wifes (soon to be anyway) daddy lives there! You know where Im headed this summer!
also noteworthy
red drum, redfish and mahimahi, wahoo and snook all insanely fast swimmers

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple of years ago we rented a house on the beach just south of Pancea, Florida at a place called Alligator Point. I would go wade out to my thighs in bathtub warm saltwater right in front of that house with my fishing rod. I was using 8 lb test spinning gear and got myself into the middle of a school of Spanish Mackeral. The largest I caught was 25" and it just burned the line off my reel. I thought it was going to spool me. Good thing I tied on a 20 lb leader of florocarbon. They have a row of needle teeth top and bottom. They went airborne in the fight several times. Some ran so far I could not belive it was my fish out there. That was fun. I got into some Redfish at another location nearby.

Some folks were fishing for shark off the beach but no bites. Shocked

You have fun out there!
DoFear

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Diawa minicast, It works rather well for backpacking. It's not like my Shimano reels but who would be crazy enough to take that kind of equipment on a backpacking trip.

My brother and I do a lot of bass fishing since he has his Skeeter boat. It's nice to do 55+mph on the water, but I like the idea of fly-fishing. It seems more of a stalking technique.
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 10:57 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah yes, Florida; the place to be. I'm in the process of buying my 30 ft boat and sailing the Gulf of Mexico aimlessly while fishing 24-7; It's going to be great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: