ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
REI Clinics - January

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:45 pm    Post subject: REI Clinics - January Reply to topic Reply with quote

January Clinics

Denali National Park
Join Ike Waits as he presents a slide show of his travels throughout Denali National Park in Alaska. Photographs of Denali scenery, wildlife and hiking will be featured. Discussion will cover hiking and backpacking routes and conditions as well as logistics for travel in the park. Ike is the author and photographer of DENALI GUIDEBOOK to Hiking, Photography and Camping in Denali National Park,Alaska published in 2001. He lives in Alaska and has been hiking in Denali National Park since 1967.
January 7th @ REI Paradise Valley
January 8th @ REI Tempe
7:00pm to 8:30pm
FREE

Snowshoeing 101
There’s snow on the mountains and the weather is getting cooler. Winter is definitely on its way. Are you looking to get out there and enjoy the perfect winter conditions AZ has to offer? Try snowshoeing! During this clinic we will go over the different varieties of snowshoes and how to choose the one that will work best for you. We will go over different styles, brands, and techniques for enjoying this great winter sport, as well as cover the proper clothing that will help regulate your body temperature during highly aerobic activity yet still work for you when you are at rest.
January 14th @ REI Paradise Valley
January 15th @ REI Tempe
FREE

Get Ready to Hike the Arizona Trail!
Thinking about hiking the scenic Arizona Trail? Even talked about it with a few friends? Well 2003 is the time for action. This interactive session led by Dave Hicks will feature experienced Arizona Trail hikers who will help get you past the thinking stage and ready to set foot on the Arizona Trail. Whether you are planning to thru hike or tackle the Arizona Trail in segments, this presentation will give you lots of information about the 790 mile trail so that you'll be prepared for a Mexico to Utah adventure. There will be plenty of 1-on-1 time with the presenters, so bring your notepad and questions. Horse riders and mountain bikers will find this session helpful too.
January 21st @ REI Paradise Valley
January 22nd @ REI Tempe
FREE

Smoke That Roars
Author Robert Finkbine will be joining us to present a slideshow and discussion based on his new book Smoke That Roars. Robert has spent most of his life river rafting on the Colorado River and most of the great rivers of the United States. When not rafting he spent his time teaching high school history. This unique combination of adventure and insight make for a great work of literature that spends half the time reminiscing about the Colorado River, the Grand Canyon and the other half talking about the environmental issues that are becoming more and more critical. Join this old river rat for a great evening of river lore and talk of the future!
January 28th @ REI Paradise Valley
January 29th @ REI Tempe
FREE

"The Journey is the Destination"
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I took in the AZ Trail session, very good, with very valuable information. One hand out on water sources had to take him weeks to assemble, and he just gave it out free! I'm impressed. This was enough to spark my interests in doing it in chunks, say, week long treks or by segment.

I hear it is being digitized and will be available on maps or as GPS downloadable files.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went to the Tempe AZT presentation...thought it was informative...glad I stayed for the water info!

"The Journey is the Destination"
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had every intention of going...missed it anyhow! Embarassed
Colin, do you think I could get a copy of that water info sometime?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: