ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
PARSON SPRINGS THIS SUNDAY, the 11th......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 9:06 am    Post subject: PARSON SPRINGS THIS SUNDAY, the 11th...... Reply to topic Reply with quote

PARSON'S SPRING DAYHIKE

Date: Sunday, April 11
Leader: Dave Brunstein
Phone: 480-239-3439
Length: 6 miles R/T
Rating: Easy
Elv. Change: Min
Meet at: Denny's parking lot, Bell Road and I-17, 7:30 am
Carpool: 210 miles R/T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This beautiful hike follows the crystal clear Parson's Creek up Sycamore Canyon to a popular swimming hole with cliff diving. Large Sycamore and Cottonwood trees provide shade throughout the hike and several small springs create a lush riparian area with varied flora and fauna. Expect several creek crossings. Remember water, a camera, a swimsuit, sun protection, and a lunch.

From the USFS...."The hike up the Parsons Trail is a pleasant stroll along a cool, clear desert stream set in a magnificent red rock canyon. Sycamore Canyon is a place sufficiently unique to have been one of the first areas protected as wilderness in Arizona. The trail leads through the lower reaches of this wilderness through a riparian area rich in plant and animal life. Colorful cliffs that are a unique mix of dark columnar basalt, red sandstone, and buff colored limestone enclose the lush green of the oasis. The trail leads 4 miles to a large pool called Parson Springs where this considerable stream springs to the surface from the underground course it has followed through the majority of the canyon. Up canyon from this point surface flow only occurs during snowmelt and after summer monsoons. The limestone layer just above the streambed is riven with small caves. Flat ledges of red sandstone extend to the water's edge. Songbirds flit through the tall cottonwoods and thick mesquite bosques. At a number of points additional springs flow from the canyon walls through gardens of columbine and watercress."

Joe Bartels photo

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was told this area is closed for Bald eagle nesting protection until June. May want to check on that! Sad

what i do
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 4:42 pm    Post subject: eagle closures Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know of no closures in this area of the canyon at this time. I think the Parson Spring area is open year round.
Quote:

Areas Along the Verde River Closed to Protect Bald Eagles

CAMP VERDE Ariz—The Forest Service will close two bald eagle breeding areas along the Verde River to the public on December 1, 2003. The closure is expected to last through June 30, 2004 when nesting season ends and fledglings are independent. The special closures are necessary to reduce human disturbances to the eagles during their nesting season in the Verde Valley. The possible consequences of people disturbing nesting eagles include abandonment of eggs and loss of young.

The one closure area lies north of Clarkdale. It is the two-mile section of the Verde River and adjacent National Forest lands in the vicinity of Sycamore Creek downstream to the rapids/powerline crossing. The other area is south of Camp Verde. It is the two-mile section of the Verde River and adjacent National Forest lands in the vicinity of the "Verde Falls" downstream to below Sycamore Canyon. Road closures include Forest Road 9709R from its junction with FR 574 and parts of FR 500 south of Cottonwood Basin.

River rafters may pass on the river in the closure areas but are restricted from stopping, taking out watercraft, or delaying their passage through the area. Signs are posted along the river to mark the closure boundaries.

Common uses of the area such as hunting, target shooting, fishing, hiking and off-road vehicle use are prohibited. Violation of the closure is punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 6 months or both.

Eagle watchers will be stationed at the closure areas to protect nesting eagles and to monitor the eagles' activities for the Arizona Bald Eagle Nestwatch Program. Protection of these breeding areas occurs annually through the cooperation of the Arizona Game and Fish Department, Coconino and Prescott National Forests, and the public.

This area usually includes the Verde Canyon area that the Verde Canyon Railroad uses but I see that they're in full schedule. A call to to the Prescott Ranger (928-443-8000) and or Coconino Ranger districts (928-527-3600) may be in order to get the full disclosure on area closues.

GTG
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually, I think the Sycamore Canyon area is closed.

http://www.gf.state.az.us/w_c/eagle_closures.html

Bald Eagle Closures

Bald Eagle Closures Begin in December. Recreational activities are being temporarily limited at 13 locations near Arizona waterways beginning in December in an effort to protect nesting bald eagles.

Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists say bald eagles start rebuilding nests in December in preparation for laying eggs. Land and wildlife management agencies enact the seasonal breeding area closures from December through June at locations on Tonto Creek, the Salt and Verde rivers, as well as Alamo, Pleasant, Becker, Lynx and Luna lakes.

Arizona rivers and lakes have become some of the state’s favorite outdoor recreation areas. These areas are also where resident bald eagles nest, forage, and roost. Driscoll cautioned that “Human activity near active bald eagle nests can cause the breeding pair to leave their eggs uncovered, leading to a failed breeding attempt.”

Driscoll says Arizona rivers and lakes where eagles nest, forage, and roost have become some of the state’s favorite outdoor recreation areas. “Human activity near active bald eagle nests can cause the breeding pair to leave their eggs uncovered, leading to a failed breeding attempt.”

At many nesting sites, observers from the Arizona Bald Eagle Nestwatch Program monitor the breeding area daily to protect the breeding attempt, educate the public, and identify situations where intervention may be needed to save nestlings in life-threatening situations.

"With the public’s help and cooperation, we can all take responsibility for ensuring that Arizona bald eagles breed successfully,” Driscoll says.

Closures include:

Verde River
- Sycamore Canyon and Verde River – No foot or vehicle entry but boating through is allowed from Dec. 1 to June 15. Please contact the Coconino National Forest, Sedona Ranger District, for more information at (928) 282-4119.

- Camp Verde - Below Beasley Flat – No foot or vehicle entry, but boating through is allowed from Dec. 1 to June 15. Please contact the Prescott National Forest, Verde Ranger District, for more information at (928) 567-1108.

- Mule Shoe Bend - Boating is allowed but no stopping on the river or landing on the shoreline from Dec. 1 to June 30. Please contact the Tonto National Forest, Cave Creek Ranger District, at (480) 595-3300

- Below Horseshoe Dam near Davenport Wash – Depending on bald eagle activity, there is no vehicle or foot entry on the southwest side of river from Dec. 1 to June 30. Please contact the Tonto National Forest, Cave Creek Ranger District, at (480) 595-3300.

- Below Bartlett Dam and Needle Rock Recreation Area– No foot or vehicle entry but boating through the area is allowed from Dec. 1 to June 30. Please contact the Tonto National Forest, Cave Creek Ranger District, at (480) 595-3300.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just spoke with Roger @ the USFS/CNF - Sedona Ranger District, and Parson's Trail is OPEN.
Now that we've settled THAT, who's going HIKING?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good! glad to know the area is open, I recall its beauty from a September 02 trip. Maybe you'll luck out and see some Eagle activity!

what i do
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:
I just spoke with Roger @ the USFS/CNF - Sedona Ranger District, and Parson's Trail is OPEN.
Now that we've settled THAT, who's going HIKING?

Embarassed Guess I'm misinformed as usual! Rolling Eyes

It's a nice hike, Enjoy! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: