ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I owe it to Hooli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 9:51 am    Post subject: I owe it to Hooli Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I may have my foot problem solved. Problems were being caused by wearing way to light trail runners and I believe I did something to the bones in my foot. After hearing what Hooli uses I dropped half a C-note on some orthopedic Birkenstock Blue Footbed insoles which have a weird lump up near the ball of the foot to support the metatarsal bones. I decided to try them out and went further than I had planned with no foot pain so I think that support is going to do the trick.

We did a trip to Page Wednesday/Thursday. I found some time to get out into it for a bit.

The terrain was really rough and undulating. I climbed up over all manner of sandstone structures. There was projecting features like the one below and deep canyons and ravines to explore.

The sand forms interesting patterns, both the petrified sandstone and the more recently (in geological time) worn off sand. The two together reflect the light in a strange contrast.

The sandstone can be very luminescent in indirect light but literally stunning in some oblique late day light as well.

All in all it was a great day out in a desert where I saw not one other soul all afternoon.

The thing to do would be to have a boat. I wonder how many supplies you could put aboard a small boat. Would it be possible to lay in enough for a month? The lake would provide plenty of water, you could anchor in a protected canyon and hike the endless variations of terrain. This was shot on the way out when some filtered sunlight broke through the overcast.

I believe the white band is about 80 to 100 feet high at this time. The water level is way down.

Oh and for all you interested in the food, we ate in the Rainbow Room over looking Wahweap bay. Not a bad meal and the view was stunning.

So Hooli, where do I send the check? Very Happy
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, your photo's are amazing, as usual. Thanks for posting.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent adventure Glen! Always look forward to your posts. I want to make it to Page in the worst way! One day I will...one day.

Glad to hear you are back in action! Pain is no fun out on the trail! I recently bought a pair of Super feet insoles and have not yet been able to try them out. Was hoping to do that this weekend but that's not gonna happen... Hope to get out next Wed though...

I want to shine!
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 9:59 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome pics! Looks like I'll have to make it there sometime.....
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I owe it to Hooli Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:

So Hooli, where do I send the check? Very Happy

Glen, just keep posting those awesome photos and I owe you! Very Happy
Glad to hear the Birkenstocks are helping. I'm certainly happy with mine and I agree, the metatarsal arch is the key.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great photos!

While in Page, the best place I've eaten is the "Dam Bar & Grill." Great food, service, and it's a pretty cool place. It comes highly reccomended by me.

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't forget Stromboli's Italian food. The Shrimp Marinara is to die for. Much of the town is shut down over the Winter low season but will really explode there about Labor Day. I really like the slow months the best but would go anytime I get the chance.

One place I really want to go into is Waterholes Canyon. It is a slot on Navajo land about 7 miles south of Page.

Glad you are enjoying some of this desert sandstone scenery and that sounds like a good deal Hooli.
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are amazing pics. Glen, how are you getting the color saturation so high??
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, I use a polarizer filter to cut glare and haze. It helps in color saturation. I work with the value levels of the image as well, paying attention to the histogram to make sure I have enough dark accents. That will also enrichen the colors.

Of course it helps to have colorful landscape.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen,

I can't even think of a proper adjective to describe the color, beauty and content of your photos. Outstanding is the best I can come up with and even that is lame. You should seriously think about publishing them.

Mr. Green
Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: