ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toe Nail Health....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 7:21 am    Post subject: Toe Nail Health.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

One thing I harp on when people are talking about the fit of boots, socks, etc. is "Keep the toe nails trimmed nice and close"; big step toward keeping them from turning black and fall of, rather painfully.
One thing "not to do"....don't walk into a wall, big toe first! I did early yesterday morning wandering around in the dark; had a little pain there walking around yesterday and now the nail on the left big toe's looking a little purplish. And don't laugh.....I'm Hooli, I get to do dumb stuff like that! Rolling Eyes So please keep your fingers crossed for me and pray the purple comes from my stomping grapes in my dreams last night.
Oh....and if you have any ideas for treatment that might head it off from becoming black and falling off I'd love to hear them. Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Toe Nail Health.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
.....I'm Hooli, I get to do dumb stuff like that! Rolling Eyes

I think that says it all! Laughing

evenstar wrote:
Oh....and if you have any ideas for treatment that might head it off from becoming black and falling off I'd love to hear them.

no ideas for treatment but some suggestions for the future:
1.) turn on a light
2.) learn floorplan of your house
3.) train one of those 'senjis to be a seeing eye dog

note to self: buy Hooli flashlight for his birthday

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last year sometime I smacked my little toe into a chair and broke it. I could barely walk for weeks after that. I had to request to be put on light duty at work, so they gave me the most boringest job alive, cleaning shelves.
That was one heck of a painfull experience.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

That was one heck of a painfull experience

Walking on the toe, or cleaning the shelves?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing Oops, Walking on the broken toe Laughing
Although cleaning was mentaly painfull at that, could not ask me to do anything more boring than that. Confused
At least i broke it in the summer when its too hot to hike, that would suck to brake it now when i'm triying to condition my legs back into shape.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Toe Nail Health.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
One thing "not to do"....don't walk into a wall, big toe first!

Hooli, you know I've always sided with you and refrained from the Hoolie bashing which must be getting old for you by now. But even I have my limits...

Which toe should come first?
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

One thing I harp on when people are talking about the fit of boots, socks, etc. is "Keep the toe nails trimmed nice and close"; big step toward keeping them from turning black and fall of, rather painfully.

I told my sister in law to cut her toenails before a canyon hike--she got a pedicure. Sure enough, she lost 'em. Now I tell folks to cut off all they can and do it a week before the hike so they can heal up if overzealousness causes them to bleed.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just did Pass Mountain Ridgeline on Tuesday and forgot to cut my toenails off. My toes were sore at the end of the hike. It was not to the point of being black and blue or even falling off, it was minor, but enouph discomfort to remind me to cut them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: