ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ug, I make fire!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Ug, I make fire! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with primitive fire making tools? I always care more than one option for making fire when I hike but I have always wanted to learn more about primative options just in case. The bow and spindle way looks the more practicle from what I have read but I think it would be hard to find the materials in the desert. Anyone have real experience with this stuff using desert flora?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/26/2004, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dont know how to make fire from bare elements, but I can give advice on firestarters, steel wool is my favorite because it takes no preparation and cost is very little. also doubles as a pot scrubber, and a kleenex if youre the John Wayne type.

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A good dry yucca stalk or the like will work perfectly for both the spindle and the base board. It must be bone dry but most times that is not a problem. All you need it some good cordage. The biggest problem is the slipping that occurs just when you are about to get a coal. The cord will start to slip on you right then as the spindle starts to bind more. You can make the bow out of any good wood that has the right curve to it. The absolute hardest piece is the bearing. I have used cross sections of mesquite and acacia. Maybe a good shaped rock would work better if it was hard and smooth enough.

When you get this method down, you can get a coal in about 30 seconds. Then you have to know how to handle the delicate coal and set it into your premade tinder bundle. The best method is to raise the coal bearing tinder bundle and blow from the side. It will get much more air and the smoke will not go into your eyes. Once you learn to make fire in this way, you will be able to made fire with matches and the like much easier as well. You will learn a lot not to mention the huge adrenaline rush you get the first time you do it.

Just to add, if you can find it, some types of cedar are my favorite materials after the yucca type stalks for the base board. There is a plant that grows out here in the washes which has some really long spindley branches. That is an awesome spindle when it is bone dry. I can't express enough that your materials need to be really dry for this method.
overrocked

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

would you suggest using bamboo instead of yucca stalks? I carry a bamboo walking stick, and am going to try experimenting with some spare stalks. I would suggest reading a SAS book or going online to the site primitive.org for other cool survival ideas.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

overrocked, I think there is a method for bamboo but not with the Bow-drill method. I have seen it somewhere but more like a fire plow. Well maybe not exactly like a fire plow but similar motion. The good thing about yucca stalks is they are not hollow so you can take your knife and make the sides flat for the base board, carve your drill depression and then the v notch where the debrie from the drilling acumulates while reaching critical heat. It also works for a spindle because it is solid. I just don't see bamboo doing it although I could be wrong. I know I have seen a method for it somewhere though.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about 4-5 Bic's scattered thru your gear and your pockets? : )
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Scout Water"........(Coleman Fuel) works for me.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I would call that primitive, Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Actually, that stuff saved my life once CV. Not how one might think though. Shocked

This isn't as hard as you might think guys. I'm telling you, the rush is awesome. Then you progress to the hand drill. If you are being practical a bic, a waterproof case of matches and a ferrocium rod/vaseline cotton ball combo is what you should have in your pack but with the knowledge of the primitive methods behind you. You can do it.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good info. Glen. As I said, I alwasy have more than one fire starting option but I think knowning a primiate method as a "ya never know when you might need it" back up is a good idea. Plus what a cool thing to learn. I'll have to check out the yucca stalk idea. They are pretty easy to find.

I also read about using the "needle" plus part of the plant on the agave or yucca to make string. I wonder if this would work for the cordage part? Also, if you take this from one of these plants, it wont harm the whole plant right?
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jamie you only want the dead stalk. If you cut it off It will not harm the plant in any way. Many times you can find them fallen off the plant. This years green stalk is no good to you anyway. It needs to be well seasoned and dry.

The leaves are pretty fiborous. The native americans used to make cordage with them so if you know a good technique I bet it could be done. I have seen how the "needle can be taken with a long strip of fiber for sewing. Your best bet would be a boot lace but primitive skills are fun. I know some people who are really absorbed by learning them.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/28/2004, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With bamboo you have to use a "saw" method and it entails a lot of work for limited results, best to stick to the yucca, there's always plenty of it around. I just got back from my outdoor survival classes field trip where we had to demonstrate proficiency with primitive firemaking (among other things) and I would say that the easiest way is a good old flint and steel with the fire bow comming in a close second. But either way you go make sure you practice whenever you get the chance. Its all well and good to know about the technique but putting it to practice is something entirely different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: