ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
warmer weather=lighter pack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/14/2004, 9:31 pm    Post subject: warmer weather=lighter pack Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got some new kicks today with my REI dividend. With the temps on the rise, and my pack dropping weight like the Adkins diet posterchild, I decided on some low top trail runners. Ever since I checkout out AK's five-ten shoes, I gotta say I was hooked. BUT, I opted for the Vasque Velocity, very aggressive tread and only 1.2lbs a pair. So I have a short review:
These lighweight synthetic chibbies are super comfy, with focus on a low to mid volume foot. I have had trouble with my thin foot fitting, but I can freely use the word "glove" here. No slipping off the heel, amazing lace loop design insures perfect fitting. Im gonna leave the leather Lowas and goretex Merrels at home for a while! These will enable me to literally jog the trail at Reavis.

Check em out at REI

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/22/2004, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recently bought a pair of low top Vasque and was extremely disappointed. The fit and design were fine, but the quality was poor at best. The toe protection on both shoes began to peel after only two hikes. They can't stand intense hiking. Sure am glad I didn't pay the 95 dollar price tag and got them on clearance for 23. Hope you have better luck. I will be returning to my previous brand. No more made in China crap for me. LOL
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/22/2004, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a pair of Vasque boots, gore-tex, I was SOOOOOO happy to get! Especially for $19 (originally $135!!) Really thick soles, which I needed due to all my 'overpacking of my backpack'... Rolling Eyes and for the most part I'm happy with them...I can walk along rocky terrain and my feet don't hurt, but get them "WET" Eek and the traction is gone!!!

Let me know if you find the same thing...maybe I'm just clutzy when my feet are wet! Confused

I'm STILL happy that I got them for $19!!!!!! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hope you find better footwear, Kent. My original intention was to show that by packing very light a guy could opt for low-tops. When I did the Barnhardt with Shihiyea I went at around 21 pounds, but also had to carry the whole tent. Usually dont pack nearly as heavy, so for me a nice sticky sole on a lightweight shoe does the job. I really hope the toe rand holds up, that was the major selling point for these shoes... and I only paid $1.73 for them!

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree about low tops, I have gone that route for the last five years or so and have had no problem backpacking as far as lack of ankle support.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree about the low tops also. I even were them for backpacking with a 30-40lb pack. As far as shoes, I think everybody has different feet. What works good for one person can be a blistery hell for another. I think the shoes that have lasted me the longest have actually just been New Balance 806's or 475's.
-TIM-
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wear New Balance 963's with birkenstock orthotics in them. I have very narrow foot and the NB's come in B width. Very comfortable, good traction, flexible sole's thick enough that I feel only the sharpest rocks. I'm able to cover rocky terrain in them that I felt awkward covering in my boots.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli, which orthotics do you use from Birk?

One thing I found out last year is that Chaco sandals will support me with a 45 lb load. The most important support is from the bottom I think. That goes against my previous thoughts but everything changed after our long water hike through Coyote Gulch.
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, they're the Blue Footbed Arch Support for Casual Shoes. You can check them out here under "Insoles"
http://www.birkenstockcentral.com/
Nice thing is they come in widths. They're a 3/4 orthotic, so I put a flat, cushioned, full length insole under them. I've put a lot of miles on them and they've held up well.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I shall try a pair. I have used the Birk 3/4 length foam orthotics for years but really want to try something "more".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: