ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Garmin vs. Magellan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Toys? Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
Diane, it's way cool - so small just what I always wanted! :D

GB
You guys have way more toys than me, and I'm jealous! :(( I can count my steps and factor the soreness of my feet after 20+ miles, and I can find (sometimes...), cardinal headings, (well, on occasion...depending on the cloud cover...). Anyway, sometimes I can find my way - BUT U guys can take pictures, isolate your position to +/- 12 feet(?), make InterNet calls -- and I have to figure out which canyon I'm in by guessing my position on the map and using a stop watch and compass (and/or hiking with TB... duh, OMG...!).

See U at 7a.m. tomorrow (If I can find my way to the H.D. parking lot...).
JW.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Toys? Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="JW63"]
SUN_HIKER wrote:
Diane, it's way cool - so small just what I always wanted! Very Happy

See U at 7a.m. tomorrow (If I can find my way to the H.D. parking lot...).
JW.

Bring your rain gear... Weatherman predicts 100 percent chance of rain which is almost unheard of here.

Watch we get no rain!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You crack me up JW. When is your B-Day again?

I was about to say the same thing. Looks like unheard of rain coming. Bring your slickers. And get the hose ready for your boots.

Dang, I just washed the truck this weekend too. Grrrrr

Shades
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
You got your new camera Tom?

Yeah. It's a Canon Powershot S400 Elph. 4mp. Very kewl. Have a large CF card too. Something like 2,500 pics on lowest res mode. Hehehehe

Now maybe Todd and Mike are gonna have to cut me off soon for too many pics...

Ya gotta like it.

Shades
bzachar

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Vs Magellan Reply to topic Reply with quote

joedomin wrote:

<edits>
Garmin Etrex receivers use a patch antenna while the Magellans use a quadrafiller helix antenna. The helix antenna is thought to perform better (i. e. lose signal lock less often) in obstructed environments (forests, canyons, indoors, dense clouds, etc.). When both receivers have an unimpeded view of the sky, then both perform very well.

<edits>

But its' interesting to note that Garmin went to the quad helix antenna for these models citing superior sattelite reception for this antenna.

Lest anyone misunderstand, Garmin has always produced GPSRs with quad helix antennas. Which antenna you get depends on which Garmin you buy.

Bill
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 3/21/2004, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seems to me the best features of GPS receivers for hikers are starting to settle out: simple, sturdy, light/small, waterproof, quadhelix antenna, WAAS-enabled and long battery life. The newer Magellans (Sportrak, etc) with a genuine IPX7 waterproof housing are great, though they seem to burn through batteries kind of fast. I do prefer them to the Garmin Vista and Legend with their rather fragile mini-rocker switches - that was a poor idea and Garmin seems to have abandoned it with their new models. One of the best points about the original plain-jane Etrex was its exceptional battery life at 20 hours on 2 AAs, not to mention a good tough housing. I see Garmin's new map60 has a quoted battery life up to 24 hours on 2 AA batteries - plus color display, WAAS waterproof housing, 56mb memory and quad helix antenna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: