ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Trail Meals/Dumplings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Trail Meals/Dumplings Reply to topic Reply with quote

Soup and Dumplings

General: Experiment at home with quantities. A good kitchen scale helps. I use 3 oz of bisquick. You can use bullion cubes instead of or along with the soup mix.

At Home: Put half a package of soup mix (Knorr is good) in a snack size ziplock. Make another of Bisquick.

In Camp: Boil some water and add the soup mix. Wet the bisquick with enough water to make a mashed potatoes consistency dough, mush around in the ziplock to mix to uniform consistency. When soup is boiling, bite off the corner of the bisquick bag and sqeeze out globs of dough on top of the soup. Get it on the soup as quickly as possible. Cover and simmer slowly 5-10 min. Test for doneness, dumplings will be bread like in the center.

Option: Add a 3 oz can, or pack, of chicken to soup before adding the dumpling dough. Or add a couple bullion cubes to the soup mix.

Very hearty trail dinner with restorative powers.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds yummy!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We did this on our trip just before Christmas. In fact we made it two times. The first time was fancy--I put dried celery and onions and freeze dried chicken in it. This was so good we wanted to do it again. The next time we used everything chicken tasting we had--one bullion cube, two tiny packets of chicken noodle soup and one of cream of chicken. Using the little bit of Bisquick the mice did not get into we ended up with a very tasty mess Smile I remembered you making this at Deer Creek and how good it smelled after the storm when we were all so cold and wet. Mary
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/5/2003, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I made this the afternoon of the forth day, after 3 ten mile days, in the Wind River's. We were all dragging a bit so took the afternoon off. I credit this meal with great "restorative powers" after that. It did hit the spot after the storm at Deek Creek, but, as I always and often say, sometimes that spot is a very easy target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: