ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dutch Oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/29/2004, 8:32 am    Post subject: Dutch Oven Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any one use the Ultimate Dutch Oven by Camp Chef ? This dutch oven has a cone in the center and two cast iron racks can be used inside (not much room though) the dutch oven. My brother gave it to me, he prefers a barbeque grill for camp cooking.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/29/2004, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a very old Dutch oven that my mother used and I have a book of her own recipes. It is at least 50 years old and in perfect condition. Nothing like a good Dutch oven.

Off topic but I was also given a small black on black piece of pottery made by Blue Corn, a famous native pottery artist from the San Ildefonso Pueblo. It is signed as such. My parents paid no more than $5 for it back in the mid 60s. A little about her.

Blue Corn
(Crucita Gonzales, Crucita Calabaza)
1921-1999

Blue Corn was born in the San Ildefonso Pueblo as Crucita Calabaza. She made high quality black on black, redware, carved, and polychrome pots for over 70 years. Blue Corn signed her pieces Blue Corn San Ildefonso Pueblo or Blue Corn. She won many awards from the New Mexico State Fair and the Santa Fe Indian Market in 1966-1986. She is credited for the reintroduction of polychrome whiteware pottery. Blue Corn also conducted workshops at many Universities in the USA and Canada. Current Prices for Blue Corn's pieces range from $1,000-5,000.

She worked as a housekeeper for Oppenhiemer back in the 40s while he was developing the Atomic Bomb in Los Alamos. After the war she turned to pottery.

Anyway Dutch oven cooking is great. What are you going to cook?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/29/2004, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pies, biscuits, scalloped potatoes, chilli. I use a charcoal hod to light the charcoal after about 20 min. it ready for use. When there are fire restrictions, I have been baking in a barbeque grill. Also use the dutch oven in the back yard. I am spoiled some times I will eake the hand crank ice cream machine when camping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: