ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ducks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/27/2004, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Ducks Reply to topic Reply with quote

Came across some ducks next to a small lake on a golf course about an hour after sundown. Stumbled into them and the sentry duck stood up extended his neck, hissed and a pillow fight broke out with the slumbering flock. Honking, hissing, biting, beaking (head butt from a duck hurts) and wings flapping. Quite impressive.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/27/2004, 8:57 pm    Post subject: duck, duck chicken, goose Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ducks are feisty, I've had them run the guantlet on me before. Ever had to deal with mad chickens? Peacocks, pheasants and guinea fowl are usually more docile except in mating season, then the feathers will fly at most all intruders. Speaking of mating season, don't take the kids to the park during duck mating season, you'll have much to explain then.

GTG
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/29/2004, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Birds are really something to observe. Here is a strange pair I saw up in the Four Corners. I was out along the Animas River viewing the geese flying and these two were among some mallards.

My Granny had a Banty Rooster who was mean. I was about 4 years old and will never forget that nasty bird. It would fly up and attack me whenever I went outside. However I once I was pulling a plow in North Dakota and turned up a tiny shrew. A flock of seagulls (don't ask me what they were doing so far inland) always followed the plow for food and a huge one went after the shrew. The diminuative shrew attacked back. It was comical. It leaped at the seagulls chest. The seagull retreated and left the field of battle. The shrew won.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: