ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Can't see the Forest for the fees ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:

My worst experience was on a shuttle back to the south rim following a rim-rim. There were 7 or 8 of us in the car, 3 season passes in hand, and I had already bought my next years worth, so there was $190 paid represented in that one car. Ranger Adolph called us an organized group, so everyone needed a card or had to pay $8 (as I recall the fee). Aside from his aragance (sp?), the fees were way out of line.

That is just is wrong from them to do that... Were you in one of your group member's private vehicles or were you using the Trans Canyon Shuttle service? For future trips tell em you got a season pass and that usually works for shuttle & private cars.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of back East and huge fees if you're ever near the Catskills checkout this place... http://www.mohonk.com/

From what I saw the place has 80 miles of cool trails--I didn't get to see much of the trail stuff since I waved at the guard and thought it was free to enter the Park & Resort. (nothing was posted)

They wanted something like $25/person to hike here since it's a 5+ star resort with most of the people being rich people from NY city. Web site does mention its free for hotel guests and dinner guests so maybe hit the trail and get a meal.

Anyone here ever stayed, surveyed, or hiked on Mohonk Mtn? Place is even popular in the winter with tons of winter activities too--from what I've read.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Additional info... found this using the low speed website connection for Mohonk Mtn Resort food ...

Day Meal Rates
Breakfast $29.00 - $32.00
Lunch $45.00 - $47.00
Dinner* $47.00 - $50.00
Reservations are required.
* Please note that during dinner, jackets are required for gentlemen age twelve and over, and for ladies, dresses, skirts or evening slacks.

Wow--- $30 for breakfast and upwards of $50 for lunch and or dinner.. That's some buffet probably found no where else or I want my money back!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think where you find a lot of people they start charging fees. We had to pay a bunch just to backpack into Algonquin park in Ontario and then we had to stay in the exact area and a special site every night. You could not camp just anywhere in the park. If your permit said X lake on 8-21-02 then you had to be camping in an established site in that area. IIRC I had to give them about 50 bucks for our three night four day bit of fun. I do have to say the sites were gorgeous. A moose and her calf sloshed by in the morning darkness ten feet from our tent. The loons and otters were playing and the forest was so incredibly thick you could never have gone off trail like out here.

We still have it pretty free as of now but after a few more million come, I bet we start seeing some of that here.

I'm with Sunhiker. I'm just happy to be here in Arizona. I picked up a year pass for hiking the Sabino canyon area for 20 bucks. That's not bad for parking alone. We can get into that wonderful area in about 15 minutes from home so it's convenient.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
Additional info... found this using the low speed website connection for Mohonk Mtn Resort food ...
* Please note that during dinner, jackets are required for gentlemen age twelve and over, and for ladies, dresses, skirts or evening slacks.

Hope all you ladies and gentlemen are in the habit of carrying dinner jackets and dresses in your back packs! Wink Chuckle

I want to shine!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
sam_hikes wrote:

Hope all you ladies and gentlemen are in the habit of carrying dinner jackets and dresses in your back packs! Wink Chuckle
Diane, these prices and all the pomp is sooo east coast. That's why I like the casual life in the west.

GB Cool
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/3/2004, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

At Moonhouse Ruin we encountered a Canadian couple and got to visiting about fees. He contrasted the US and Canada in that Canada gives "free" medical care but charges for recreation, and in the US recreation is almost free and health care is expensive and private. (Moonhouse is on public land managed by BLM, there are no fees there.) He advocated higher fees and more care for the public land sites. We discussed BLM v NPS and the FS, with BLM being quite primative, and unhearalded. Also, there is a sense of discovery on the unmapped and unadvertised BLM entrusted sites.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/4/2004, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am tired of the war so I guess I am no longer fighting very hard but I really hate all of the fees. I have written long pieces on other forums--perhaps on this one too. I have written to my legislators. I have written to the legislative committees that were holding hearings. A great many people agree with me but we seem to be getting nowhere. I really hate the government in business selling back to me what was mine already and not even blushing when they don't call it a tax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: