ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bright Angel Trail ( A portion..that is)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs Mike

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

And again I don't want to sound like a jerk again, but the term "japs" sounds a little derogatory to me.

Quote:

If I'm out of line, everybody please let me know.

I think you're very much IN-LINE, GTG. I totally agree with you!!
ck1

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tracker wrote:
Yeah to be "politically correct" we should call them Nipponese Rolling Eyes

or maybe we should call them....people.

tourists would also work.

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: groups of a kind and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
If I'm out of line, everybody please let me know.

Thanks,
GTG

No way are you out of line; in fact you handled it much more tactfully than I would have. I'm proud of you; I'm ashamed for Steven.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

did not realize it was derogatory to call them Japs. It's just easier than spelling out Japanese. I have never heard of a Nipponese before.
I'm the type of person that if I'm in an unformiliar place I'll leave the group anyway. If I want to see something, I dont care if my group is the only english speaking people, I'll go and see something if I want to.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I knew some would take that to heart but I don't think Steven meant it in a prejudice way. It is shorter than calling them Japanese, but what is wrong with classifying one group of people as Japanese, they are, aren't they? Of course it isn't my board and isn't my right to say whether or not we should be "politically" correct.

What is this world coming to when you can't describe people as the race that they are? Of course I do understand where you all are coming from, in today's world we just have to be careful what we say...
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I feel that politacally correctness has gone way too far. The fact is these people are still Japanese. Anyway this disscusion has gotten way off topic...
So how bout the Grand Canyon?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry, Canyon Dweller, I didn't mean to stir up the bees with a hornet's nest. It just sounded bad to me last night.

You're right, back to the Canyon.

GTG
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats ok GTG, I know better for next time. Smile

plummer150

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:28 am    Post subject: Grand Canyon N.P. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! This National Park is truely one of the most spectacular places i've been to ever. It comes close, if not surpassing the beauty and astonishing sites as does Rocky Mountian N.P. I hope to make it up to the park within the year to go the whole way down to bottom. We took a 4 hour loop trail that really wasn't that hard but with amazing views at the same time. I wanted to go to the bottom so but we really didn't have the time and we also had a huge hike on our hands the next day in Tucson so we didn't want to over work ourselves with this hike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: