ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Saguaro N.P Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Saguaro N.P Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

I returned a few hours ago from a great hike in Saguaro N.P, Rincon Mountain Section. We parked at the Tanque Verde Trailhead on Sunday around 10:00am. We walked the road to the Cactus Forest trail, and hiked about 8-9 miles of the frontcountry trails to reach the Douglas Spring trail. This first section basically stays below 4000' and winds aroung the base of the mountains. The temp was in the mid 70s, but with the blazing sun felt very warm. Once we reached the Douglas Spring trail, it is a moderate hike of 3.6 miles to the Douglas spring campground. The trails are very deceiving as they take you up and down over the many hills. There were quite a few people hiking the frontcountry trails, but once we started ascending we only saw two other people. We reached that campground and stopped for lunch a little before 4pm. This stop afforded us of a wonderful view of Helen's Dome and a few other 7000'+ peaks. The water supply at the park was great as most of the springs were running, and snow was still melting. The next phase of the hike was more strenuous. We climbed from 4800' feet at our lunch spot up to Cow Head Saddle around 6000'. This portion takes you up two different ravines as it winds up the mountain. This is a wonderful part to see the changing of the surroundings at the different elevations. Once we reached the saddle it was another 2.5 miles to Tanque Verde Peak, which is over 7000'. This was a fun portion as it was dark by then and the peak seemed so far away in the dark. Many parts of this section were also in the snow. Once we reaced the peak we had a great overlook of Tuscon. This was not the end of our night though, as we had another 2.1 miles till our camp at Juniper Basin, 6000'. We reached camp at about 9:30pm, which ended a 12 hour, 20 mile strenuous first day. I have never seen as many stars in my life, as I saw that night. We saw a handful of shooting stars, and many constellations. The weather was mild and comfortable sleeping weather. We awoke Monday at 7:30, packed up and began the trek around to the trailhead. The trail winds down the mountain slowly and gives wonderful views of Rincon and other peaks. This section back to the truck was 6.9 miles and was a great part for taking lots of pictures. I would of taken many more pictures than I did had the winds not been so harsh. Almost the entire hike down, we encountered 30+ mph winds, with many gusts that pushed us off the trail more than a few times. We also kicked up some deer on the way down. We finally came to the last 3 miles which put us back in desert. Luckily for us the sun was hidden behing some clouds for most of the hike down. We made it down around 12pm, and thus concluded a wonderful, strenous 27 mile hike. This was my first time to Saguaro N.P., but will not be my last as I am perusing the map for my next hike there. Very Happy I will have pictures soon for this hike! Laughing
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, 20 miles on one day. And up to the high Rincons. I'm impressed. I usually aim for six to ten mile days.

There should be some more snow yet this season. The Rincons have always been good for water.

Next time, try the east side starting at Miller Creek Trailhead, up through Happy Valley and on to Manning Camp. This is the route of the AzTrail. From Manning Camp it goes on to Italian Spring then down a canyon trail to Reddington Pass.

Thanks for the report.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, looking at the map that looks like a cool hike. I want to do the Rincon peak hike that was on the old site too. I want to do just about every mile of trail in the park over the course of time. One thing that I wasn't really expecting was the fact that the trails go up and down so much, no rest for the weary. Most of my hiking has been in Pennsylvania and Montana, where things just go up! Every time we crested a hill we saw more and more, it was an adventure! I am not normally planning 20 mile days, it just happened that was the only real loop on the west side of the Rincon section. Let's just say these days after are for recuperating. Like you, I think 6-10 mile days are a good, but the body can accomplish things you don't think it can, like this trip.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:18 am    Post subject: Saguaro N.P Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, this is indeed an incredible hike. The longest hike I have ever done in my entire life. We had first planned to only 16 or so miles which doesn't sound that bad at all. Little did I know what was in store for us that sunny day in January. 20 miles the first day and then a quite easy 7 miles the next day totaling an amazing 27 mile hike up to the peak. With some mishaps during the trip including the key episode, it was great. Even with some of the mishaps for a first time long hike, it ended great. Some intersting time with a truck driver and a "rest stop" right outside Phoenix in the big boom town of Casa Grande. I suggest this hike to anyone in the area and loves long hikes. Email me with any of your questions about this hike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: