ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
10 Essentials...revised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete, the ferrocium rod is the same synthetic flint that you find on the magnesium fire starter. I don't personally like the magnesium bar either. You can find the ferro rods in different sizes. Usually one strike will light up a 100% cotton ball and the vaseline will keep it lit for a couple of minutes ( actually I use the oil loaded herbal salve in my little first aid kit). It is so easy and I do it without the cotton or oils as well, just cedar shavings or very dry grass.

I have started fire with the bow-drill method as well not to mention a 4"x6" fresnel lens (doesn't work at night or when cloudy Mr. Green ). I think practicing is essential lest one find them in the predicament you did recently and they freeze up or bumble it up.

Hats off to your performance though. You are a good textbook example of what to do when things go wrong and when to do it. I read your ordeal twice and learned from it. I too have been out there in some very bad conditions, wet and cold, know what you felt. You survived. Some would not.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 4:50 pm    Post subject: ferrocium Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Glen-
I will definitely try that idea out. Sounds like a keeper.
I appreciate you sharing
-Pete
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See Pete? You're a legend in your own mind. Ok... well... a few others too.

Nice list btw. Is that "all" you take with you? I also believe in the mini-bics. Never had one fail on me yet.

Glen, you're a whole different human all together. You sir, I would just have to invite on any trip I make. I know, I know, it would have to be down Tuscon way. We may be heading down your way the first part of Feb to do Rincon. You up for it?
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom, any friend of Lady Di's is a friend of mine. Shoot me a PM with your itinerary when it gets closer. I never can confirm until Friday afternoon as I don't know where I will be or what my schedule will be. Love to get out and walk around some though.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete, Glens idea about the cotton balls is right on. He suggested it in another forum and I gave it a try. I carry one of the magnesium bars. Yes, it is an extra hunk of metal to carry around, but I figure if everything gets soaked and I want a fire to warm up/dry out I've still got a viable means to start a fire and I don't have to wait for my bic to dry out. The cotton ball soaked in ointment lights up almost instantly, even if it does smell a little funky. Whats more, when not serving as a fire-starter, the cotton ball rides in the top of my little bottle of ibuprofen/other drugs and keeps moisture out. So it serves double duty as well (not that it weighs anything to begin with...). I also have a small chunk of trioxane that gets stuffed in there, just in case I have to start a fire from wet material, it will burn for a while with really high BTUs and dry out the initial kindling.

I also carry a small magnifying glass as well, it weighs next to nothing and serves as my third means of fire starting (bic, magnesium, magnifier; in that order). The magnifying glass also serves to examine interesting rock formations, insects, etc...

I know that may sound like a lot of stuff to carry around just to start a fire, but in a survival situation, I think fire is probably one of the most important things you can have; fire gives light and comfort, cooks food, keeps you warm, purifies water, keeps animals away from camp, and on and on. I think all three firestarters put together only weigh a 4-5 ounces.
srlatty

PostPosted: 12/28/2003, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:

But you do have to admit that the chances of the spring loaded lever being depressed and completely unloading the lighter is extremely rare.

Pete, being an ex-smoker, I have seen this happen more times than you might imagine. I used to carry them in my pants pocket and sometimes they would get lodged in there with my keys, or whatever, and empty out. It only takes about 15 minutes to empty one of those things out if the lever is depressed continuously. You just have to be a little careful where you put them and make sure they are not jammed somewhere where this could happen. Don't get me wrong, I think this is probably one of the easier ways to go, just make sure that you check it every once in a while to make sure it still works.

pfredricks wrote:

Sometimes I carry two of those tiny Bic lighters

This ain't such a bad idea either! Just my $.02.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/22/2004, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't see shelter listed on that REI list? That was definitley one of the original itmes included by the Mountaineers.

I carry all that stuff except the food container - I don't consider that essential - and I don't carry a whistle - I use my fingers if I need a loud whistle.

Not to divert too much but those of you who hike with a dog, what do you consider your doggie essentials? Obviously some of the human stuff (water, food) will work for them too but what about the real doggies items?
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/23/2004, 12:37 am    Post subject: Doggie Hiking Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
I didn't see shelter listed on that REI list? That was definitley one of the original itmes included by the Mountaineers.

I carry all that stuff except the food container - I don't consider that essential - and I don't carry a whistle - I use my fingers if I need a loud whistle.

Not to divert too much but those of you who hike with a dog, what do you consider your doggie essentials? Obviously some of the human stuff (water, food) will work for them too but what about the real doggies items?

Obviously, the usual plastic bags for doo-doo. Also, some protein like jerky, etc. But they need complex carbs, too, so shredded wheat, whole-grain crackers, etc., etc. They seem to have a better "craving" mechanism, then we do, so experimenting with different kinds of whole-wheat crackers, cheeses, etc. is worth checking. All the cereals are vitamin fortified, too. Beyond that measuring their body weight, and how much water they crave after a hike, is an essential: They will drink about 100% of their hydration requirement, where we (humans), only are at about 50% (so we have to drink more water than our thirst dictates, etc. E.G. We need to force ourselves to consume the liquids plus electrolites, etc).

Jim.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: