ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Garmin GPS Altitude/elevation accuracy(altimeter)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfredricks

PostPosted: 1/15/2004, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin GPS Altitude/elevation accuracy(altimeter) Reply to topic Reply with quote

ON a hike recently-(I am certain that some of you are aware of this)
someone wondered why their GPS didnt exactly match the map/benchmark readings, thinking that their Garmin should have been pretty accurate.

I found out recently that the Garmin uses barometric pressure not GPS triangulation measurements to determine elevation. SO, when the weather or barometric pressure changes, so would the accuracy of the GPS. I had wondered about that too.

Suunto watches work off of the same principle.

They are pretty accurate nonetheless and while not always accurate on any given day, altitude gain/loss should be nearly dead on unless an EXTREME weather shift occured.

I know that sunnto recommends not changing the factory altimeter settings as they are based on the best possible average. It probably would not be advised to change the factory settings on the GPS with a known altitude either.

Hope this helps!
ck1

PostPosted: 1/15/2004, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Altitude/elevation accuracy(altimeter) Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
They are pretty accurate nonetheless and while not always accurate on any given day, altitude gain/loss should be nearly dead on unless an EXTREME weather shift occured.

I've used the Suunto Advisor since the year it came out, and have recently started using a Garmin Legend. I've been please with the altitiude readings I've gotten with the Suunto.

The altitude gain/loss is subject to constant movement of the device be it on your wrist or in a pocket...over the course of a hike, that movement will affect altitude gain/loss...which explains why your asc/dsc readings might not match up on an out and back hike.

"The Journey is the Destination"
pfredricks

PostPosted: 1/15/2004, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I have been amazed with the suunto-the thing forgets it's a wristwatch.
I kinda like the asc/dcs rate feature. and the hourly log thing. All very handy stuff.
I think the advisor has the altitude lock so you can lock it at an altitude??????
Like so when you are sleeping and the weather changes it stays where you left it.
I think that's the model with that feature.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/15/2004, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I utilize the heart rate monitor feature the most, use it almost every day. I was chatting with Marco at REI tempe about perhaps them offering a Suunto clinic...a how to on the different features of the watch. I was surprised by how small the manual was, it gives basic info, but could provide more.

Suunto makes a dam good watch.

"The Journey is the Destination"
pfredricks

PostPosted: 1/15/2004, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, I have just been advised that all GPS have altimeters
just some have barometric altimeters as well.
It's just that neither method is all that accurate to make a long story short.

So now I know too. Very Happy Very Happy
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/16/2004, 1:43 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just go for the altimeter or the barameter, usually both as a combination from past experience doesnt work.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/16/2004, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
Just go for the altimeter or the barameter, usually both as a combination from past experience doesnt work.

I'll 2nd that...thought the barometer feature of the Garmin Vista would give me good altitude #'s during the 5,000+ foot climb out of the GC when there's no or little GPS coverage.

My experience was it didn't work well so I went with unit without this feature & saved the extra $$.

Now on the climbs out we often just keep going and don't look back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: