ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
looking 4 2 more Gr Cyn lovers to 4 comm raft trip in 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/5/2014, 9:00 pm    Post subject: looking 4 2 more Gr Cyn lovers to 4 comm raft trip in 2015 Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am organizing a 7 day, 188 mile, motorized commercial raft trip thru Gr Cyn in Apr 22, 2015. Strictly a sit back and enjoy the ride luxury trip with Western River Expeditions. Excellent side canyon hikes each day to spots nearly impossible to access from either rim; My third trip. I'm filling out the full raft (18 passengers/2 guides). We will sponsor a Wounded Warrior for a free trip. Other passengers are all professional people of the highest character. Cost not yet set, but will be approx $3,000/person. You pay all fees to outfitter. I pay same as you.
Motor on raft is 4-stroke, so barely audible. Guides handle raft, cooking, toilet, etc. Fabulous trip; Day 7 helicopter ride out of canyon and commuter flight to Marble Canyon, AZ or Las Vegas included in price; I will maintain a waiting list of extra passengers in the event others cancel. Outfitter asks for $300 deposit which is fully refundable until 90 days before trip start;
Message me if interested. We can exchange emails and I will provide detailed info. Maybe we can meet up for a hike/pack trip in the interim
Some pics from 1st trip: https://mywestern.shutterfly.com/grand-canyon-pictures/13998 I will be happy to answer any questions. Don
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/6/2014, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like a great trip. I wish I had the spare time off to go.

GTG
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/7/2014, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG, Thanks for the kind words. Certainly you should consider this trip when the timing is right for you. My wife and I have made the trip twice and the 2nd trip was even better than the first. She's not a camper and definitely not a backpacker, but she didn't mind the riverside camping with nice cots and tents provided by the outfitter. She even slept under the stars along side me. The food is decadent.
I've hiked the canyon numerous times and have encountered many private trips on the river. They all seem to take about 25 to 30 days. I never had a job that allowed that time commitment. The further down canyon you encounter them, the more they seem to have lost their enthusiasm. Not the kind of trip I'm ready to take. I was lucky enough to retire at 54. Just a few years back, I resumed backpacking and so have lots of SW canyon hiking to catch up on. Hope to join a few AZ Hiker trips when my schedule allows.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/8/2014, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds good -- but I have 21 day trip for late Sept this year ..perhaps next time ! Very Happy
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 1/9/2014, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Are you going the full 288 miles Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will you be going the full length of the canyon? It seems like oar boat river trips I've spoken with hit the area around Deer Creek at 21 days. Or, are you hiking out early? I'd be interested to read your trip report. Wishing you a great trip.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/24/2014, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think I'll be doing the Canyon this year, but I do have a lottery application in right now for 2015 for a private river running permit in Grand Canyon. The drawing is tomorrow (Feb. 25). I put in for 5 dates late in May of 2015. So, we'll see if I win this time. I won in 2011 for a 2012 trip. Odds aren't very good, however.

It's not difficult to get in on other people's private trips and do one per year if you have a lot of time, but like most people I have to work, at least, off and on!

This year I'm working on running the lower Colorado in my kayak, and also plan on canoeing 9 days on the Green River in Utah. Have already done two lower Colorado runs and have another one on the calendar in March. I don't do repeats, am trying for the whole enchilada from Lake Mead to below Yuma, (450 miles or so) but I don't have time to do it all at once.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/15/2014, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been through a few times.
We did a 'painless private' through Donnie Dove's 'Canyon REO' in Flag - Rented Rafts, Kitchen, Food Pack and Shuttles a few years back - About $1000 FOR 21 DAYS!
As you can see, learning to row ahead-of-time can pay huge dividends in dollars spent - PLUS, Stop where you want, HIKE where you want, Camp where you want. Lay-over where YOU want.
Regardless of your method, remember to procure my good friend, Tom Martin's books and/or maps here > http://www.vishnutemplepress.com/

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Hikerdon74

PostPosted: 7/27/2014, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: your lottery application for Gr Cyn rafting Reply to topic Reply with quote

Curious to know if you drew a permit for the 2015 river run. Per your suggestion, I may try to get on a private trip for 2016. -Don
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/28/2014, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: your lottery application for Gr Cyn rafting Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikerdon74 wrote:
Curious to know if you drew a permit for the 2015 river run. Per your suggestion, I may try to get on a private trip for 2016. -Don

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/river.xml

https://npspermits.us/grandcanyon/river/login.cfm

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: