ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toughest Hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 9:58 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Lets have a poll!!! Who thinks that I have said that I was "better and faster than everyone else"? Vote here_____ I believe that I only have put times down occasionally on certain routes. Of course, I could be wrong....perhaps I am deluded....perhaps....insane!! Certainly also a "blow-hard"? Now it is getting good. The web site I have always dreamed of. Keep the attacks coming, the more personal the better!!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:15 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Sid why not slow down for once and join us on a hike? I would really like to meet you. I think it might be interesting on hearing some of your hiking stories. They are alwayes better live in person then on the internet. I would personally like to know your route on the 4 Peaks and Hear you explain it then read up on it. I do like to listen to others hiking stories.
Do you really have to race every hike? Or can you slow down and enjoy the flowers?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:26 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
Lets have a poll!!! Who thinks that I have said that I was "better and faster than everyone else"? Vote here_____ I believe that I only have put times down occasionally on certain routes. Of course, I could be wrong....perhaps I am deluded....perhaps....insane!! Certainly also a "blow-hard"? Now it is getting good. The web site I have always dreamed of. Keep the attacks coming, the more personal the better!!

How come I just knew that would be your response. Rolling Eyes

You're hopeless.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:30 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
Sid why not slow down for once and join us on a hike? I would really like to meet you. I think it might be interesting on hearing some of your hiking stories. They are alwayes better live in person then on the internet. I would personally like to know your route on the 4 Peaks and Hear you explain it then read up on it. I do like to listen to others hiking stories.
Do you really have to race every hike? Or can you slow down and enjoy the flowers?

Because, Steven, it's all a ruse to raise the gander of normal hiking type folk. That's why.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:36 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I personally don't see the point is speed hiking. You don't see anything and cannot enjoy the beauty. I can see doing it once in a while, but for every hike? Thats rediculouse. To do rim to rim to rim in one day your hiking at night most of the time and the rest of it your looking at the trail. Absolutly rediculous. People can brag about these times all they want, but I am not impressed.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
ck1

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:37 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

As my hiking times are always being questioned as well (It took you how long to finish?) I'd like to respectfully ask that the personal attacks stop. This isn't HAZ. Go fight there. Or do it behind people's backs like at the office.

"The Journey is the Destination"
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 10:52 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Boy Colin, you always ruin everyones fun don't you!

No name calling? No fighting? What are we supposed to do? Hike???

I was going to stay out of this but what they hey, right? This is getting a little personal, but I can understand why people don't appreciate feeling like they are being lied to (notice I didn't say the sid is actually a liar). Some of sids claims are pretty amazing, by any standard. It seems reasonable to ask someone who makes such claims to at least lend some creedance to the stories. In a situation like this it means getting out and hiking with other people from the site. Sid may be uncomfortable with that, but to be honest, if Sid wants us to take him and his claims seriously I think its fair to ask him to make a showing, especially (as pete pointed out) if people will be relying on his times as "possible" or "do-able". It really isn't fair to attack him personally (Unless you know something we don't Tom et al...) just because there is an element of doubt to his stories. Sid, if you want to be part of this community (which it seems by your posting here that you do) you have to fulfill your end of the "community". Its a two way street, nobody's asking that much of you, and I don't think anybody wants to race you, and really even if they do, so what? it wouldn't ruin my trip. I think you should come out Sid, I know we might slow you down, but at least the community would trust your posts again.

It does occur to me that no one dislikes being called a liar more than a liar, so if you've got nothing to hide, come on out, make an appearance, let us know that the legendary sidhayes is, in fact, out there.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 11:06 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
As my hiking times are always being questioned as well (It took you how long to finish?) I'd like to respectfully ask that the personal attacks stop. This isn't HAZ. Go fight there. Or do it behind people's backs like at the office.

Ya know Colin, I'm glad you brought this up. I was kind of wondering about your Supes Ridgeline time. Broken off Agave needle in the calf muscle?? Just remember, you can only use that excuse once... and having Todd pretend to try to extract "it" with some kind of Dr. Moreau contraption was really a nice touch...

Cool
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 11:20 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
Thanks for your opinions! I regret that I cannot join you in epic hikes as some may insist in racing me, and although I would not like nothing better than driving them into the ground, this act would bring irritation or anger in some, ( but not all), and would conflict with the hiking experience for others. I, therefore, realize that most are out on the trails for nature, and such things as competition are out of place for them.

^5 Matt (I'll jump or someone can give me a boost) for your well stated post.

^5 Pete (OK for me it's a ^2 .5) for your post. Very well stated. I believe in truth also.

I could care less about the rest of the BULLS%^T.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:01 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Why are some getting so worked up? The times are either true or not. What difference does it make to others? Many claim to be desinterested in "speed hiking" so why the concern over these times? I just do some of the trails and post the results. Who cares???
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:25 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I've got a great idea "Sid".

Why don't you post your hikes without the times from now on? You know what you did. Maybe the trail condition, weather, what you saw, or how it affected you at the time would suffice. Maybe throw a few pictures into the mix too.

That way noone will get all worked up about it, or attack you personally. Problem solved. You wouldn't even have to worry about "who cares" then.

But then again, you like being attacked personally. Hmmm. Sounds like a different "agenda" other than posting on a hiking community site to me.

Cool
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:34 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

WHOA! HOLD ON EVERYONE!

Why is everyone jumping Sid for hiking fast? Isn't the point of hiking to have fun? If that's how he has fun, who are any of us to question that? For that matter, who are we to question the truthfulness of his reported times?

Sid, pay no heed. Hike as fast as you like, and I will continue to admire your stamina while at the same time poking along at my leisurely speed (which is how I have fun).

Really, you guys. Let's be adults here.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:43 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

That's right, let's be adults... and don't feed us a bunch of b--- unless you can back it up (like joining the group and do an epic to prove the claim) Just don't like for someone to insult my intelligence. I've been on some of these hikes and know what's possible and not.

Tom's point is right on the money. Beam me up
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 7:07 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Sun Hiker, we should really think twice before calling someone else a liar. If you don't want to believe his times, you certainly don't have to. But I feel it to be the height of discourteousness to call someone a liar unless there is something important at stake, which there isn't in this case.

If someone said something untrue about YOU, for instance, that would be cause to call them a liar and issue the challenge. But no one has been insulted or injured by these claims, even if they are untrue (which has not been established).

Remember, there are people out there who are physical juggernauts, and who thrive on intense, punishing activities. Sid may just be one of them. No one has any cause to accuse him of anything, and he is not obliged to prove anything to anyone.

Unless you're ready to back up an accusation, think carefully about issuing it. You may think you're safe sitting behind your computer. But then again, you may meet up someday with a pissed-off Sid who is fully capable of everything he says he is, and would be completely justified in thrashing you for calling him a liar.

If you treat everyone with respect, everything will sort itself out.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 7:20 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Well, we made it through the first year of our AZH community without any trash talking of a serious nature; I sure would like to see that continued through our second year. Agree
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: