ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Magic of a Ferrocium Rod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 6:58 pm    Post subject: The Magic of a Ferrocium Rod Reply to topic Reply with quote

A little discussion over reliable fire starting techniques was started in the 10 essentials thread. For anyone curious about ferrocium rods and their use, I made up a couple of illustrations. I made small files here that will load fast for you.

Ferrocium rods or firesteels come in several different packages. If you have ever seen the Blastmatch, that is a ferrocium rod with a unique striker system. It is fairly heavy though. I prefer to carry one of the models from Sweden. The Scout model is not too heavy and will produce more fire than you will need. The Military model is bigger and heavier and will produce about 12000 fires. I also carry a diminutive USA Boyscout model on my keychain. That must a at least a couple hundred fires in it.

There are two ways to produce sparks. The first is slide the included striker down the rod and the second is to pull the rod up across the striker. An intense shower of extremely hot sparks will result. They will light up a cotton ball in one go. Make sure you get a 100% cotton ball and not the synthetic stuff that is offered in some packages. The only thing you need to add is an accelerant like petroleum jelly or some kind of oil. Petroleum jelly works best and gives a pretty clean long burning flame. I use an herbal salve that contains various oils as that is in my first aid kit. It burns less clean but does the job. It also works for a quick cut and scrape protector in the field. It covers burns as well. Shocked Laughing

Here is a look at what you are going to get with a soft stroke over the ferrocium rod. A harder stroke will give you a huge shower of sparks. This is enough to light up a cotton ball. Stroke harder to light up wood shavings or dry grass.

The flame will look like this and burn for several minutes depending on how much accelerant you have used. Some people will melt Vaseline and dip the cotton balls in and squeeze out the excess. This flame will start damp tinder in difficult conditions. Have your materials that you intend to start your fire with ready to go when you light up the cotton ball.

Here is a photo of the three sizes of ferrocium rods with a lightweight Scandinavian style fixed blade. The scandi blade is light and made to cut unlike some of the sharpened prybars you see on others walking the trail. There are many kinds but I like the Frost’s Mora 2000 the best. It has a good grip and a stainless blade for high performance and low maintenance. I tuck it away in my daypack.

This photo is really too busy but I just had to use an area in our collection of rocks we pick up on every hike. We are sort of addicted to little interesting rocks. The big ones are too heavy to carry or we would surely have more of them as well. Laughing

Normally if I need to start a fire I use a Bic for it’s easy use but I am never without what I consider the most dependable backup system for starting fire, the ferrocium/cotton ball method. It is easy and anyone who can flic a Bic can do it.

Just to add, we had a couple of small campfires during our backpacks this year. Normally we don’t have any fire but like to have the materials in case of dire necessity. I prefer to cook over a small stove and do neither on a day hike. Then it’s trail food that needs no cooking.

As with all skills you should practice this in your backyard before relying on it in times of stress.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. Glen. I will be purchasing a rod.

You have some awesome rocks in your collection, too.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

VERY cool!! Ok

Thanks for the description/lesson on how to use the ferrocium rod and pictures...all quite helpful to those of us who were having a hard time visualizing what the heck you were talking about Confused

Any links to where one could pick up one of these dandy little rods?

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
mike t

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Glen. What's the deal with the striker? I see from the pic that they are attached by cord, but... if lost is there a substitute? What is the science behind the system? Thanks
evenstar

PostPosted: 12/29/2003, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great to see you posting, Glen; and a really great post as usual.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad it was of some help. Very Happy

Paintninaz, I got mine from a guy in the Netherlands called Piet. He has them from time to time and used the proceeds for his scout troup, a real nice guy. You send a USPS mail order after you get the rods. His email is phenskens@hotmail.com

I think the Scout was $11 and the Military was $15 delivered.

There are other sources for this type thing but I like these the best. The Swedish Scout model weighs 30 grams and the Military model is 50 grams. You can get the little USA Boyscout keychain models at your local Boyscout store. They are a couple of bucks.

Mike T, the striker is attached but you can use the sharp spine of some knives or the edge as well but it is hard on the edge. The back of a hacksaw blade will work too but I prefer the striker that comes with it. Don't know the science behind it though.

Arizonaheat, your recent "news" put a smile on my face. I have always told my "girlfriend" that these local forums were a great meeting place for "hiking buddies". I got extremely lucky 20 years ago and found my hiking soulmate. We still stick very close. On our hikes I like to observe her. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. She is adventurous and capable.
outside1

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great tool, I found a site that sells them if anyone is interested.

http://www.bushgear.co.uk/acatalog/Survival_Tools.html
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/30/2003, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks!! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, You are SO CUTE! I keep saying this but... One day I need to meet your Darling.

As for the fire starter, I love this idea. I think I may have to invest in one! That and I bic of course! One of those tiny ones I think...

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/31/2003, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Glen! I ordered a set of the "fire steels" from your connection two minutes ago! A scouting size and a military size. He told me they were down to just a few left so if any one wants to order from them and help out a scouting organization at the same time I would sugest you do so soon!

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Piet is a great guy. He loves his scouts and is very devoted to them. It is a good way for him to raise money. He does not charge much for the things and includes shipping. He can have a little humor at times as well. Once he posted a photo of himself in a kilt.

Let me know how you do with them Diane.
Jeff12633

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A neophyte question, perhaps, but please indulge me....

Is there something about these Ferrocium rods that makes them better than, for example, the REI stormproof matches I've been using for years? The latter have always been more than dependable for me, and generally produce far more flame than I need to light a fire in the worst conditions, provided I have either reasonably dry tinder or a sufficient amount of stove fuel! Mr. Green

Jeff
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 1/1/2004, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jeff, when the matches are working they are fabulous. I love matches but far too often they can age in a kit and when needed they can be found to be unreliable. That only has to happen once a cold wet conditions.

The ferrocium rod will not age. If they are kept wet they can degrade but if they are kept in a normal state like you keep the rest of your gear they will always be there for you. If you make the vaseline soaked cotton balls, they will light when damp. You must thoroughly soak them in melted vaseline and then squeeze out the excess for that to work. You get a good hot long lasting flame to light up almost any tinder, even when damp. Try it yourself.

I do love wooden matches. Fresh matches are great for lighting fires.
Match fanatics and others not so fanatical like those REI stormproof matches. They are tops. Good stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: