ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTM: Kachina Trail Aug 7-8 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(7) (3)
User
desertgirl
Hnak
tibber
Hikngrl
paintninaz
wanderingsoul
outside1
User
azhiker96
oliverr99
Tom Treks
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 4/12/2010, 2:26 pm    Post subject: GHOTM: Kachina Trail Aug 7-8 ? Reply with quote

GHOTM: Kachina Trail - Return to a classic
Kachina Trail is a moderate-easy walk that traverses the southern slopes of the peaks.

This will be a dayhike with Car camp for 2 nights ( Fri/Sat). Hike will be on Saturday

When: August 7-8
Difficulty: 2.5
Route Finding: 2
Distance Trip: RT: 11 miles Note Change from Shuttle hike @ 7.5 miles due to considerations arising due to fire/flood related issues. You can make this any RT distance you like Smile
Elevation Gain -700 ft ( stays between 9200 ft to 8000 ft)
Avg Time for Trip: 5-6 hours

Start Time:
9:00 am ish at the Snowbowl Ski Area
Directions to trail: Drive to Snow Bowl Ski Area...From Flagstaff, drive north on US180 for 7 miles to FR516 ( Road to Snow Bowl). Follow this paved route for 7.4 miles to the 1st parking lot on the right. Kachina Trail begins at the signed TH at the lot's far end.

Camping: Freidlein Prairie Dispersed Camping
From Flagstaff drive north on US 180 for about 7 miles to FR 516 (Snowbowl Road). Drive approximately 2.25 miles on this paved road to a dirt road, FR 522, and turn right. The Dispersed Camping area begins about a quarter mile from Snowbowl Road.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/peaks/freidlund-camp.shtml

Trip Description: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=199
Map:

The FeedBag:

Saturday Dinner:
Diane: Side dish
Tracy: Fajitas ( Chicken n Veggies)
Ambika: Pita Chips & Hummus
Michelle: Chicken Posole (Mex Chicken & white bean soup) (bowls and spoons).

Sunday Breakfast:
Diane - Banana Bread
Tracy: Sliced Fruit
Ambika: OJ/ Granola/ Yogurt

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually, it was a nice day. I enjoyed just getting out again and seeing everyone too!

I actually enjoyed the rain as it diminished into sprinkly rain. Put my face up and let it hit. Haven't been in rain or cooler weather in quite a while, so I enjoyed it. Now had it been a driving pouring rain, I might have a different opinion Wink

My second DOTHM.... was fun just the same. It was pretty out there!! Saw a couple of houses and thought what a beautiful front/back yard view. And the clouds hanging over the mountain.

Took a detour down 89A on the way back. Was pretty driving through, much better than the 17. I was in No hurry to get back. Stopped and took a couple of pics winding down to the bottom of the canyon. Clouds hung soo low in the Canyon against the Red rocks and Green Green foliage. I'll post my one or two pics of that when Ambika puts up an album. They won't do justice to what I actually saw though.

I do believe Ambika was the only one with a camera out. Mine was in my Pack (forgot to take it out), we didn't need to take the packs on our (Challenge Hike) hehe

Diane and Tracy graciously took a few deviled eggs (that I forced on them). Thank you both. What was I gonna do with 24 deviled eggs? Yikes! Gave a few to neighbor and to a friend, so I only have a few left. Laughing

Had a nice Time and nice to see those who braved the storm.

Thanks Ambika for putting it up. I really needed to escape, even if only a day.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I waved to y'all as I traveled at 30,000 feet on US Airways from Vegas to Phoenix. Believe me, I would have rather been on the Kachina Trail than in Vegas.....Hope y'all had a great time though

T

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all

Thanks for the wonderful company at the 2nd GDOTH ( Group Drive of the Month) Smile Yeah- I know -- we were supposed to hike Kachina Trail but instead we ended up visiting & having a great time. Lunch was fun as was watching the train go by twice at close quarters ... Yep - we did hike RAIN OR SHINE - a 2 miler amble in the gently falling rain at Buffalo Park.

Photos later Very Happy They are hilarious!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/8/2010, 11:28 pm    Post subject: The "Rain OR Shine" Hike! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Enjoy the rest here: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albus13&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Each of you have permissions to creat your own sub-album if you want to share some pictures.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What happened ? The album has diappeared from the Gallery
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 8/9/2010, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very odd. The pictures above still show up, and if you click on the link above, the album shows up.

Looks like the database is getting corrupt, or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: