ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Full Dutchman #104

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 10:40 am    Post subject: Full Dutchman #104 Reply to topic Reply with quote

January 30, 2010
I’d planned on doing this hike since November and at 7AM, Susan, Ambika, Michelle and I set off from Peralta TH on our way to First Water. My wonderful father, Clint, acted as our shuttle driver and dropped us off. When we got to Peralta, I discovered I had left my fleece jacket at home and was freezing so my dad literally gave me the shirt off his back! When we got to the first rise on the Dutchman we were greeted by a glorious Sonoran Sunrise, all pink and oranges with high thin clouds where we stopped for pictures. Continued on and met up at Coffee Flat intersection. It was turning into a perfect day for a hike….blue skies with some clouds and enough chill in the air to keep us moving and awake. Up the hill to Miners summit and Whiskey Springs intersection…not the worst climb in the world and I knew this was going to be the only big climb. From here it was cakewalk to Bluff Spring, LaBarge Spring and on to Charlebois and through Marsh Valley. This was by FAR, the prettiest section of the hike with LaBarge Creek flowing really well and many creek crossings. And it was so green! All the recent heavy rains lent their hand in making sections of this trail covered in lush green grass and vegetation. At one creek crossing I tripped over some tree branch and nearly fell in but only managed to get my right leg submerged in water…..”nice save” says Ambika. With all this moisture it was also decidedly more humid so we dubbed this tropical Arizona. On to Bull Pass, Terrapin and finally Aylor’s Camp. I had originally wanted to be at Aylor’s Camp by 1:30-2:00 but we were having some time issues and didn’t arrive until 4:15PM with about 4 miles to go. Stopped here for 15 minutes and then set off for the last leg. Susan and I reached First Water just as the sun set knowing Ambika and Michelle were not far behind us. When we were waiting for them we started talking to a gentleman there who turned out to be Jack Carlson, co-author of The Hikers Guide to the Superstitions who happened to be out marking GPS routes that day. When he asked us what trail we did we told him we had done the Total Dutchman and he was pretty impressed. He also told us he has a new book out on the trails from Reavis Ranch east to Roosevelt Lake called Superstition Wilderness Trails East. Delightful man.
Time issues aside, everyone made it out safely……although a little sore and some of us with blisters on our feet. Total hiking time was about 10 hours per Ambika’s GPS with 2.5 hours of stopping/resting/waiting at the designated trail junctions. By the way, Ambika’s GPS marked the total miles on this to be 17.9. It was a SPECTACULAR day in the Supes with a great bunch…..Thank you for sharing this adventure with me!!! Will post a few pictures in the gallery.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Suz

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish you did a great job planning this and were even more amazing on the trail.

It was a beautiful day to be in the Supes. I loved this hike, even if my feet did not. I seem to remember whining around mile 12, laying on the ground at mile 14, becoming slightly delirious around mile 16 and finding one last spurt of energy around mile 17. I spent most of the day blowing my nose and sincerely appreciated all the tissue donations from you guys Smile Apparently the gorgeous weather, the rainforest-like conditions and sights helped my severe sinus infection because I'm feeling a tad bit better today.

Michelle you did great and Ambika you're one in a million ---thanks for all you did!

Congrats to everyone on this hike....it was a lot of miles!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Susan...Yeah I heard that whine around mile 12 and I had some extra cheese to serve with that whine (Terrapin intersection) and you laid on the ground several times between there and First Water. But you kicked it out with me after Parker Pass when I said it was only 2 more miles! I think you found my rocket boosters. I can't believe you hiked all those miles with a sinus infection and am glad I brought the extra tissues and half a roll of TP. Glad you're feeling better today.

Called Ms Michelle today and she is not completely disabled.

It was a great day. I agree that congrats are in order for the chicks who completed this hike. WE ROCK!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats to all of you - you do rock !! 18 miles is a piece of work for anybody.

Supes is best when served in cool weather with water.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/31/2010, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joe...we ran into Jack Carlson (co-author of Hikers Guide to the Superstition Mountains w/Elizabeth Stewart at First Water TH and he was doing GPS routing out there and told him he needed to get in touch with you. He's a great guy and it was really an honor to meet him. I hope he does get in touch with you.

The Supes are best served Sunny with some nice chilled H20!!!

Mr. Green

Suz

PostPosted: 2/1/2010, 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The fever is still coming and going.......just a few more days of antibiotics, mucinex, cough meds and another couple boxes of tissues and I should be good Wink

I highly recommend starting this hike in the dark so you can enjoy the sunrise, it was stunning....as many have been lately!
I added pics to the album in the gallery. These are a couple of my favorites

tibber

PostPosted: 2/1/2010, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BRAVO! You Crazy girls! What a great achievement to get to see all that scenery in one day. LIFE IS GOOD! Beer Beer Beer Beer
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/1/2010, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to say it was a Wonderful Hike. When Trish mentioned it, I said yeah I'd like to give it a try. But I had my reservations and I hesitated. I didn't want to do with a large group and delay or hinder the enjoyment of others. Almost backed out but Trish prodded/encouraged me to give it a shot. She felt confident that I could do. Guess maybe she has more confidence in me than I do. And I did it !!! Yahoo. This is the longest Hike I've ever done and I feel so good about having been able to do it.
It was a long one, but so many beautiful sights to see. I haven't done much in the Sups, but for those I have, I don't think I've ever seen so much water flowing. It was just gorgeous. Heard the rushing sounds, saw some waterfalls and Weavers Needle reflected in a small pool. Wow! And some campsites I could go back to coming in from FW TH, that I think I could do. I might consider that one. Just far enough in to spend a night and hike in further for a day and back to spend another night and out the next day.
And it was a learning experience for me on some things I knew and thought I had right, but .... Ambika was behind me at times and at one of our stops she said your pack isn't right and tight. Let me fix it. Thanks Ambika, after your adjustments it felt much better, tighter against my back and not swaying and almost felt lighter. That made a great difference. And need to work on my electrolytes. I had salty, potasium and all the things that I thought I needed, but I don't have the right mix yet. I just lose steam to keep me going and I slow up. Several things I can work on.
But all in all it was Wonderful and so glad I had the chance to experience it for myself.
Didn't take a slew of pics but I will post in the next day or so. My PC is being persnickidy, so I'm babying it until I can do something with it or may be time for a new one Shocked Oh well it is what it is.
Thanks gals for supporting me on this one and making my Day!
I'm gonna call this one in my journal "The Great Dutchman Experience"
I almost can't believe I did it.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/2/2010, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Enjoy! [img]http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albuq69&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php[/img]
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/2/2010, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Enjoy!

More Photos:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albuq69&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Now I wish I had taken my other camera. All images are from my 7 MP Olympus point & shoot
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 2/2/2010, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish and Ambika - great trip report and photos!!!
I sure hope I can make the epic hike on Feb 21.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/2/2010, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bill.

I hope you have water at the end of Feb. If not, then lots of wildflowers anyway. This was an awesome trip for us.

Mr. Green

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/7/2010, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I just posted my pics, slight delay. Mine are no where near as nice as the rest. Wow ya'll took some great shots. I saw all of that stuff, why didn't I stop to take a pic Ambika. Lovely shots gals!! You all have a Great Eye, ok 2 Eyes. Just an amazing hike for me.

For whatever the reason lately some shots I move and are a bit off, but I posted anyway. The one sunrise shot kinda gave it a weird eerie look/feel.. For whatever they are, they are my memories and keepers Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: