ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Water at Reavis Ranch and Trail access.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KellyNMav

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Water at Reavis Ranch and Trail access. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new to the Arizona Hikers community and am looking into going to Reavis Ranch from the Reavis Trailhead.
The first question that I have is if anyone has been to Reavis Ranch lately and if they could tell me if the Reavis Creek is flowing?
Next question, How is the road off of 88 to the Reavis Trailhead? I am possibly thinking about taking a pack horse and wanted to know if the parking was adequate to pull around a truck and horse trailer? I had heard from someone who had been there a few years ago and thought the road was really rutted and rough.
Looks like a great hike.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Water at Reavis Ranch and Trail access. Reply to topic Reply with quote

KellyNMav wrote:
Hello all, I am new to the Arizona Hikers community and am looking into going to Reavis Ranch from the Reavis Trailhead.
The first question that I have is if anyone has been to Reavis Ranch lately and if they could tell me if the Reavis Creek is flowing?
Next question, How is the road off of 88 to the Reavis Trailhead? I am possibly thinking about taking a pack horse and wanted to know if the parking was adequate to pull around a truck and horse trailer? I had heard from someone who had been there a few years ago and thought the road was really rutted and rough.
Looks like a great hike.

I have been to the ranch from the South a few weeks ago, and it was pretty overgrown at the time coming in that route.
The ranch area (including the corrals) was pretty wide open at the "designated" camp sites. The grass is pretty tall elsewhere.
May still be some apples available too. SE end of the orchard just off the trail on the left as you are coming in.

The North route is what most of the horseback riders take. I can imagine that there's still room to turn the trailer around, but haven't been up there myself this year to verify.
The route up 88 and the final climb to the trailhead is definitely a lot less of a pain than the coming up 172A, but parking at Woodbury and coming in via Rogers Canyon is always an option.

As far as water goes, there is plenty. You will have to water the horses on the S end of the ranch where the trail crosses the creek.
There was a lot of water when I was there. Just try not to let the horses poop/pee there please if you can.
KellyNMav

PostPosted: 11/2/2009, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info.

...And... We won't be letting the animals (or people) pee close to the creek! I have a bucket for the horse and have respect for others using the trail ( I even get off the horse to "kick" poop off of the trail).

Anyway, I do appreciate all the info I can get about the Reavis Trail. It sounds like it is a good trail for this time of the year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: