ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Az Trail Segement #37 Sept 25th - Sept 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(0) (1)
User
User
Suz
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
desertgirl
PostPosted: 7/17/2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Az Trail Segement #37 Sept 25th - Sept 27th Reply with quote

Dates: Sept 25th PM - Sept 27th
General Plan:
Head out & camp Friday 25th
Hike Sat AM - GrandView --> Tusuayan
Hike Sunday AM Yaki Point --> Tusayan
Head hone from Tusayan....

Length: 23.5 miles

Southern Trailhead: Grandview Point - Grandview Lookout
- GPS Coordinates: 35.95746° N, 111.95547° W

Northern Trailhead: Yaki Point - South Kaibab Trailhead
- GPS Coordinates: 36.05335° N, 112.08344° W

Trail Route Description: This passage begins at the Grandview Lookout Tower and starts out on the Tusayan Bike Trail heading west. It works its way through the forest, drops into a drainage and reaches Watson Tank. Now on forest roads, the route turns to the north and joins FR 303. It becomes single-track again, works its way over to the junction with FR 825 and turns to the north on this road. When it comes to the end of FR 825, the route becomes single-track again, passes Upper Ten X Tank, goes through a gate and then joins FR 818. It follows this road to FR 815 and then turns on to FR 814. It follows this road, passes a junction with FR 2709, and comes to Coconino Wash. It turns northwest and follows Bike Route 3 and then 2, which leads to Bike Route 1. The route curves to the north behind the town of Tusayan. A short climb and descent leads to a road junction and a turn to the west. The trail goes under Highway 64 and turns north to the Grand Canyon National Park boundary fence. After entering the park the route follows an old 2-track road until it reaches Vann Drive. It takes this road east to Highway 64, crosses it and follows another 2-track road up to SouthGate Road. From here it turns northeast on a restricted access dirt road. This road runs east and then north and connects to another dirt road. This road connects over to Highway 64 and then a trail follows the powerline corridor up along Yaki Point to the South Kaibab Trailhead.

Difficulty: Easy to Moderate ( Looked at the Topo -- I'd say more easy than moderate)

Season(s): All year (snow may be present after winter storms)

Water: Water is available in Tusayan and the Grand Canyon Village. Water may also be available in the stock tanks along the trail and seasonally in some of the drainages the trail crosses.

Sometime in August ? Who's interested ? We can find a weekend that works

I am thinking 2 days -- and long 18 miles or so from grandview to Tusayan & a shorter Yaki point to Tusayan on Day 2....

Perhaps ride a mountain bike ? This is part of the Tusayan Bike Trail
also there are many forest roads that cross this trail so we can stage it for whatever shorter distance if folks are interested

We have a killer campsite at GrandView Lookout tower ( bathroom included!) Mr. Green

hikingsunshine

PostPosted: 9/16/2009, 11:07 am    Post subject: Campground info... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was wondering if Robert and I flew into the Grand Canyon airport - could someone drive us to and from the TH? The turn to get to the tower is only .8 miles from the airport.

We could all fly and rent a car? Let me know if you are interested...would probably take about an hour to get there. We have room for 2 more passengers with their gear.

Directions
To Grand View Lookout Tower:
From Tusayan: Turn right on FR302 (0.8 miles pas Grand Canyon Airport Entrance). Follow signs along this road for approximately 16 miles to Grand View Lookout Tower
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/16/2009, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry folks -- I will not be making this hike -- Have to take my dog in for some eye surgery & he will be in recovery at this time. I have to stay around to deal with a conheaded dog Sad

I had only 2 folks left -- hikingsunshine & beckett. If you want to press on feel free. The trail is well marked at the Grandview lookout tower end -- Its across the road from where the tower is.

I will be reattempting this segment next year ... I do like the idea of flying in for the hike though!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not that it is good this got cancelled, but maybe I'll be able to catch it next go around Embarassed

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
beckett

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
beckett

PostPosted: 9/20/2009, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would still like to get out this weekend for a hike and camp. I don't think I will drive up to the canyon to hike by myself. Any suggestions to something closer? I was thinking of north to Prescott area or east to Globe area. Any one have anything planned?

beckett

PostPosted: 9/23/2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like there are no plans out there for this weekend. Bummer. I need to get out with people over the age of 9.

tibber

PostPosted: 9/25/2009, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

beckett wrote:
Looks like there are no plans out there for this weekend. Bummer. I need to get out with people over the age of 9.

Laughing
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/29/2009, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So Ambika, how is your baby (dog) ? Hope all went well for him and you.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: