ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Video of Kanab Creek Deer Creek Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel-Beckwith

PostPosted: 8/25/2009, 8:23 am    Post subject: Video of Kanab Creek Deer Creek Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

From a trip this past May. Sowats Point to the Colorado, up Deer Creek to Surprise Valley and Thunder River and out at Indian Hollow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouib_V4MdY , It was AWSOME!!!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 8/25/2009, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very awesome indeed! Gets me all psyched up!
Hnak

PostPosted: 8/26/2009, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great video, thanks! I'll be wandering through that area in a couple months (except we'll be exiting out Cranberry Canyon). I'm getting psyched up too!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/26/2009, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I know it is too early to get giddy already but now I can't help it!

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 8/26/2009, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, cool trip.

You can watch this video in HQ mode and almost full screen! Nice quality and great camera work.

Brings back memories.
Hnak

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Thank you so much! I know it is too early to get giddy already but now I can't help it!

Oh, go ahead and get giddy, I am. I'm really looking forward to hiking in that area again....
RC

PostPosted: 8/31/2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to view this video, very nice!

So some of the gang is heading back for round 2? Have fun. I'm hoping to do a Bill Hall / Thunder R / Deer Creek loop next fall.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/1/2009, 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went to Thunder River my first bp trip in the Canyon, 1993--haven't been back, unfortunately. Sure is awesome!
Joel-Beckwith

PostPosted: 9/1/2009, 10:34 am    Post subject: Thanks for all the kind words Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you all are enjoying it. It sure was fun to make!
RC

PostPosted: 9/10/2009, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Great video, thanks! I'll be wandering through that area in a couple months (except we'll be exiting out Cranberry Canyon). I'm getting psyched up too!

Is there a route from Deer Creek Falls to Cranberry Canyon along the river? Sounds interesting.
Joel-Beckwith

PostPosted: 9/14/2009, 7:31 am    Post subject: Here is a trip report, Cranberry to the river Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cranberry to the river, http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/show_report.php?trip=2005B , Stecks book has you going up to Cranberry from the top of Deer Creek Narrows. Don't look to bad till the slide through the Redwall above the football field. Way to STEEP for me!
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/14/2009, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that we're going to do it in the opposite direction, heading down Indian Hollow, and out via Cranberry Canyon.I don't know how we'll get over to Deer Creek, but it'll probably be as described above (dropping into Deer Creek above the narrows)...

As for a route along the river to Deer Creek Falls, that I don't know.

I'll know more in a month or so.... Wink
Huvidawg

PostPosted: 9/14/2009, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All i can say is 'Wow', this is a great video. Such beautiful scenery. I wish i had more time to do a hike like this.
"We simply need that wild country available to us, even if we never do more than drive to its edge and look in. For it can be a means of reassuring ourselves of our sanity as creatures, a part of the geography of hope."
- Wallace Stegner, the Wilderness Letter
RC

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Hank, I was just curious about the route - pretty sure we will stick to Thunder R/Deer Creek Loop. Looking fwd to a trip report from your hike!
Joel-Beckwith

PostPosted: 9/18/2009, 8:24 am    Post subject: From the river to Cranberry Reply to topic Reply with quote

From, http://www.gloaming.com/rockgarden/GCTrips/GCKanabLoop.html , "Up-river from Fishtail the route goes up above a set of Tapeats cliffs that first appear at this point. There are several tracks and all are indistinct. These converge into two tracks that cross a drainage with a spring wedged into the crack. The shade and water are a welcome break from the afternoon sun and Marshall and I stop a long time. A climb above the upper layer provides a view up-slope and reveals that this spring is located at the bottom of the drainage leading to the Redwall break east of "Cranberry Canyon," tomorrow's destination." Going up from Siesta Spring might be doable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: