ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Let's go bike riding!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(2) (0) (2)
User
Hikngrl
GTG
User
User
jdahling
beckett
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Hikngrl
PostPosted: 5/31/2009, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Let's go bike riding!!!!! Reply with quote

I have been thinking I want to take my bike up to the Canyon and ride the rim trail and what ever else we want to ride. I don't want to do a kick butt kinda ride cause we are all flat landers and are not used to riding in those altitudes but more like a lei surly kinda ride where we can go up on Friday after work and set up camp. On Saturday morning we ride from our favorite closed road camp site into the park and ride the day away on the rim sight seeing and picnicking for lunch returning to camp when ever we see fit. Any one like the idea? My schedule is working out so I can pull this off on the weekend of July 18th and 19th with a Friday evening thrown in for good measure.... Comments?

lzyboy

PostPosted: 7/2/2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
You bike people have to check out this new trail:

http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=6953&M=6

At the risk of highjacking the thread, I intend to put it up as a GHOTM hike for peak color season.
This looks like a FUN ride for anybody, no rough and tumble about it... don't have to worry about much except having good brakes!! Downhill fun!!!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/22/2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Getting the bikes preped and getting in some base miles ?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Diane -- RU up for this in fall ?
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be interested. I have been biking more than hiking in the last couple years. You may want to consider biking the AZT on the north rim as well, most beautiful biking in AZ. I go every year in June if anyone is interested.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang that sounds fun! How techy is it? How steep? Do you carry panniers and camp? Etc. etc.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I met a couple bike riders on the AZT yesterday, just south of FS Road 418, on the segment that was finished this summer. From the tracks on the trail, it is clear these two riders were not the only ones riding that beautiful segment.
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was there last year doing trail work and there is no technical areas on that portion of the trail beginning from the snow bowl. However, the North Rim has some technical areas that is mostly loose rocks and some steep areas. More easy to moderate riding than anything. I am up there doing trail work every June and spend more time riding than trail work because there is not much to do except to move some downed trees.

One segment of AZT is going to reopen on the north rim next year (it has been closed from the warm fire several years ago) and will have significant trail work to do if anyone is interested. I will post once it gets closer.

Elizabeth: I camp in one spot near the East Rim Viewpoint, which is centrally located to the trails I ride. There is great spots to set up shuttles where you can bike and go back to base camp. There are a lot of dirt roads that connect with the AZT and the biking can be easily modified to short or longer excursions. With the elevation over 8,000, it is best to be as fit as possible prior to going so the biking is more enjoyable.

Cool weather, green meadows, flowers, Aspen trees, view points, can't get any better than the AZT on the North Rim.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just started riding in Italy, it's quite popular here. Put in a 17 mile, 27 mi and 17 mile days last week. Going to ride to work tomorrow for the 1st time, 13 miles round trip. We will see how Day 1 goes, but I would like to do it 3 times a week.
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like fun Tim! I bet the weather is much more favorable in Italy than in AZ right now.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/24/2009, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that, it's been in the 90's and humid.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/30/2009, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ride my bike pretty much daily, but have no time to go anywhere else to ride, alas. As for riding at 8,000 feet, well, I live at 7,000, and sometimes ride my road or mtn. bike up as high as 8500 right from home. And sometimes drive up to 9,000 and ride the Overland Trail, RR Grade Trail, etc. I rarely ride very much below 7,000, unless I am down in Yuma or San Diego, etc.

I'll try to remember to bring the camera to work with me today. I work at a guest ranch near Greer, and today (and yesterday) I will get there an hour early due to my carpool. Yesterday I hiked for an hour on a trail I hadn't seen before, which is some of the sweetest singletrack I've run across recently. I told my supervisor, "You've been holding out on me!" but he didn't know what sweet singletrack is, so I had to explain it to him...

So today I will use one of the ranch's fairly ok Trek 4500 bikes and ride that trail before I clock in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: