ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Very Steep/Vault MIne Trail #77

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nativehiker

PostPosted: 8/18/2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: The Very Steep/Vault MIne Trail #77 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering if anyone has done this trail? This trial is at Madera Canyon.l I hiked this trail and it was straight up ! The first half mile you hike up 1400 ft. The trail is beautiful. You end up at Vault MIne Shaft. It is boarded up but you can still stick your head in if you dare. The trail ends with a sign that says end of trail. I was wondering how do you connect to the Agua Caliente Trail?
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/19/2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It sounds like you were on the Carrie Nation Mine Trail which ends at the mine. Vault mine does connect with the Crest Trail/Agua Caliente Trail The Carrie Nation mine trail connects with many different unmarked and not official routes to the the top all very steep!
Nativehiker

PostPosted: 8/19/2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So what is the best way to the top? We would like to go back and explore some more trails if you have any suggestions? Thanks Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go to Summit Hut or the map store and get this map: Santa Rita Mountains Arizona - A trail and Recreation Map - Rainbow Expeditions. It shows all the trails in red--very easy to read. Or order online here: http://www.summithut.com/products/southern-arizona-hiking-club-maps/

Also, if you can find a used copy online,
Hiker's Guide to the Santa Rita Mountains, by Betty Leavengood. It's out of print, and copies start at over $27 on Amazon right now! Watch for it to be cheaper than that, look for it at Bookman's, etc.

Another book, even older, is much, much cheaper, used, on Amazon. It's Hiking Guide to the Santa Rita Mountains of Arizona, by Bob and Dotty Martin. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0871087235/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250768286&sr=1-1

Incidentally, Eber Glendening, who developed the Santa Ritas map, and Bob Martin, both of whom have passed away (Bob just this year) were members of the Southern Arizona Hiking Club, as was Betty Leavengood, at one time. Info at: http://www.sahcinfo.org/

This club and several other Tucson hiking clubs do schedule regular hikes in the Santa Ritas. Sometimes it's fun to go hiking with people who really know an area. Then you can always go back on your own and explore further.

If you use one or the other of those very old hiking guidebooks you will find a few things different, but you can also learn a lot from them. Just be aware that some things, especially at the trailheads, may have changed since the books were written. Updated information can be obtained from the US Forest Service, Coronado National Forest. You want the Nogales Ranger District: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/forest/contact/contact.shtml

Hope all this is helpful. I love the Santa Ritas!
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Rainbow Expedition Map does not show unmaintained routes. I don't think Carrie Nation Mine trail is even on that map.
I would definately join a hiking club. SAHC Rocks.

The link is in azbackpackrs post.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
The Rainbow Expedition Map does not show unmaintained routes. I don't think Carrie Nation Mine trail is even on that map.
I would definately join a hiking club. SAHC Rocks.

Yup, Deborah, you're right. I have it right in front of me here, and Carrie Nation is not on it. It also is not in Bob's book (available for less than 3 bucks plus shipping from Amazon) but it is written up in Betty's book, which has gone through the roof in price (starting at $27 used) since it went out of print. Why in the heck don't they reprint that book?

In 1998 I had occasion to meet Betty. I took three of her books with me to the meeting to ask her for autographs, and she happily obliged. She was very excited that I had a copy of the Santa Ritas book, which was published in 1994 and by 1998 was already out of print. It is full of history and anecdotes, and is very interesting to read.
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was fortunate to get a copy of the Hiking Santa Rita's book signed as well.
Hiking Tucson was the first book that helped me get around Tucson. Don't know why the Santa Rita's went out of print either.
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been up the Carrie Nation Trail and have taken the unmarked route all the way to the Aqua Caliente Trail many times. The route section (between the "end of trail" sign and the Agua Caliente Trail) has at least four route intersections which can be confusing. I've made wrong turns even having hiked it before, but finally got it down pat.

Here's how I recall it from memory:
From the "end of trail" sign (across Madera Creek from the mine shaft) take the route that leads off to the south. This route follows a usually-dry creekbed (not Madera Creek) for awhile. You will pass two routes on the right leading out of the creekbed. Don't take those first two routes off to the right - stay on the route next to the creekbed. As you continue up along the creekbed you will come to a noticeably steep section of the route where the "trail" switchbacks sharply to the right away from the creek. At this juncture you leave the creek for the remainder of the climb. At the next route junction, turn right (do not continue straight). At the next route junction, go straight (do not turn right). Continue on up the route until it comes out on the Agua Calinete Trail.

Once on the Agua Caliente Trail, you have three loop options to return to the parking lot: Vault Mine Trail, Old Baldy Trail, or Super Trail - all of which are signed.

There is a map that shows the Carrie Nation Trail AND route extension leading to the Agua Caliente Trail. It is the Green Trails Maps - Santa Rita Mountains. However, the map doesn't not show route junctions/side routes, so the map really isn't much help with these intersections.

Probably the best way to hike it the first time is with someone who has done it before, as I first did. The Southern Arizona Hiking Club hikes it occasionally but I don't see it on their current hike schedule. I live near Madera Canyon and hike there frequently. I'd be happy to show you and/or anybody else the "way". I occasionally extend the Carrie Nation hike to the summit of Mt. Hopkins which is another option.

Bill Bens
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 8/20/2009, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Go to Summit Hut or the map store and get this map: Santa Rita Mountains Arizona - A trail and Recreation Map - Rainbow Expeditions. It shows all the trails in red--very easy to read. Or order online here: http://www.summithut.com/products/southern-arizona-hiking-club-maps/

Also, if you can find a used copy online,
Hiker's Guide to the Santa Rita Mountains, by Betty Leavengood. It's out of print, and copies start at over $27 on Amazon right now! Watch for it to be cheaper than that, look for it at Bookman's, etc.

Another excellent map is the Green Trails Map of the Santa Ritas, also available at Summit Hut or Tucson Map & Flag. Personally, I prefer the Green Trails over the Rainbow Expeditions maps as I find them much easier to read.

I found Leavengood's Santa Rita Guide at Bookman's last year for $12 in mint condition. Great book!

Bill Bens
Nativehiker

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi I had a book by Betty Leavengood but it was Tucson Hiking guide until my Brother borrowered it. Thanks for your advice about Summit Hut. I found several maps that are show me more trails to try. Very Happy
Nativehiker

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SkyIslandHiker wrote:
I've been up the Carrie Nation Trail and have taken the unmarked route all the way to the Aqua Caliente Trail many times. The route section (between the "end of trail" sign and the Agua Caliente Trail) has at least four route intersections which can be confusing. I've made wrong turns even having hiked it before, but finally got it down pat.

Here's how I recall it from memory:
From the "end of trail" sign (across Madera Creek from the mine shaft) take the route that leads off to the south. This route follows a usually-dry creekbed (not Madera Creek) for awhile. You will pass two routes on the right leading out of the creekbed. Don't take those first two routes off to the right - stay on the route next to the creekbed. As you continue up along the creekbed you will come to a noticeably steep section of the route where the "trail" switchbacks sharply to the right away from the creek. At this juncture you leave the creek for the remainder of the climb. At the next route junction, turn right (do not continue straight). At the next route junction, go straight (do not turn right). Continue on up the route until it comes out on the Agua Calinete Trail.

Once on the Agua Caliente Trail, you have three loop options to return to the parking lot: Vault Mine Trail, Old Baldy Trail, or Super Trail - all of which are signed.

There is a map that shows the Carrie Nation Trail AND route extension leading to the Agua Caliente Trail. It is the Green Trails Maps - Santa Rita Mountains. However, the map doesn't not show route junctions/side routes, so the map really isn't much help with these intersections.

Probably the best way to hike it the first time is with someone who has done it before, as I first did. The Southern Arizona Hiking Club hikes it occasionally but I don't see it on their current hike schedule. I live near Madera Canyon and hike there frequently. I'd be happy to show you and/or anybody else the "way". I occasionally extend the Carrie Nation hike to the summit of Mt. Hopkins which is another option.

Bill Bens

Hi that sounds great I would love to try to hike to the summit of Mt Hopkins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: