ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Humohreys Weatherford Kachina Loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Humohreys Weatherford Kachina Loop Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sunday (7/12) it was 115 degrees in Phoenix. Flagstaff had a high of 85 and low of 53. At the Humphreys trailhead it was 10 degrees cooler than that and at Agassiz saddle it was another 10 degrees cooler with mild breezes. Needless to say temps on the 19 mile loop of the Humphreys, Weatherford and Kachina trails were perfect for hiking.

This was my fourth hike of that loop and probably under the best of weather conditions to date. GB and I started at 6:30 AM and finished at 4:30 PM. These classic trails have some of the best and varied views in all of Arizona. All or any part of this loop is highly recommended

On the Kachina trail

tibber

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, look at all those healthy and tall ferns. That's amazing Whoa!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you go to the summit? I'd do this if I don't have to wheeze my way up that high.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Do you go to the summit? I'd do this if I don't have to wheeze my way up that high.

Doing the summit AND the loop on one hike is a mega hike for me and I would have to be in better hiking shape and plan on about 12 hours on the trail. So we discussed going to the summit and decided that it was either the loop or the summit and not both on this trip. We did the loop.

Both of us have been to the summint several times in the past. That is not a problem at all. I would not do the summit on a direct drive from Phoenix but would stay overnight there to get used to 7,000 feet elevation in Flag before going higher. Some who have tried to gain 11,000 feet over just a few hours report nausea or dizziness or light headedness. In most cases these symptoms would not occur if you overnight in Flag or camp at the Inner Basin or nearby the night before the hike.
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've gone to the top in one day (from Phx) and I agree, it's kind of tough physically. The worst was when I drove up and hiked to the summit from the Inner Basin and back, all in one day, uff-da!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uff-da... wow haven't heard that one in a looong time. Cute Shawn

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
windymesa

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be a great loop... but no fun with the Peak in the itinerary. I went up Humphreys Peak June 27th... along with 250 other people... as the weather was lightening free. It was the most wonderful social experience I have ever had in a designated Wilderness. Met people from all over Arizona and tailgated in the parking lot afterwards for more socializing. Tried to find the 1940's B24 Liberator crash site to pay my respects with no luck, lost the cairns after 1/2 mile, and didn't have the lat/long. Afterwards.. went online, googled, found the lat/long, and plotted my track and seen that I was only about 150 feet away from it.
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like we ought to put this hike on the calendar. Anyone want to be the leader? We need a leader so we have someone to blame you know.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Sounds like we ought to put this hike on the calendar. Anyone want to be the leader? We need a leader so we have someone to blame you know.

Sounds like you are it!!! Smile Yes this would be a great hike.... Which way would you do it ?

I think this is a good one for a GHOTM --since it lends itself to varying amounts for length/difficulty...

1) Whole loop
2) Shuttle - Weatherford-Humphreys
3) Short Shuttle -- Kachina Trail ....

I am sure we can locate some camping along Shultz pass ....

I am voting for a fall hike ...the colors will be awesome!
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking of it as a day hike. But one could stage vehicles with camping gear at Shultz pass TH, then shuttle around to the Snowbowl parking lot, go up the Humphrey's trail to the saddle, down the Kachina to Shultz, camp, then finish up in the morning back to Snowbowl.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fall is a great time. The Aspen stands on the Kachina trail are spectacular. Dress for colder weather.
windymesa

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I was in the area on June 27th, Don and I checked out the mountain for potential campsites and trailheads for hiking the Kachina peaks trail and the Weatherford Trail. You might consider the 14 dispersed non pay camp sites along the FS road 522 just south of the Kachina Triail (also part of the Arizona Trail segment 34). Each has a fire "ring", and you must camp 50 feet from the sign post... I think 8 persons per camp site. At the east end of FS Road 522 where it meets FS627 (FS627 goes downhill to the Shultz Pass road) is a trail head and parking near the Aspen Spring... much less congested than the Snow Bowl with its 103 cars (only 3 cars at this one). Will save much elevation gain and mileage from Shultz Pass. You might want to start here. It would be a shorter shuttle to the Snow Bowl parking area. The area is also close to Flag if you want to eat supper or go dancing in town.. or breakfast buffet it at the SnowBowl Hotel for 7.99.

Hiking intell: Snow Bowl parking (9200) to Agissaz Saddle (11800) is 3.1 miles, Agissaz Saddle to Fremont Saddle (10800) is 3.5 miles, Fremont Saddle to FS522/627 (8800) is 4.5 miles, and FS522/627 to the parking lot (Kachina Peaks Trail) is 5.6 miles (2.5 hours). Like Desertgirl says... make your own hike... they all end at the parking lot.

There is also a road below 522 that parallels it, and there is dispersed camping, but no campfires permitted. We camped on this road so we could breathe smoke all night long. Between the two roads the USFS was finishing up a controlled burn the weekend we were there, so it was a bit smokey at night camping when the smoke laid down and flowed down hill like water, and I told Don it would... but he wouldn't listen to the old fire dog.

I like to poke around, go off trail a bit, take pictures, so Don and I will probably make a 2 day out of it... 1.) one from Snow Bowl Parking area to the FS 552/627 roads intersection trailhead, and 2.) a next day hike on the Kachina Peaks Trail/AZ Trail 34, from the Snow Bowl Parking to the FS 552/627 roads intersection trailhead. Both have a higher start elevation.

We will bring some frosty beverages for the tailgaters.
windymesa

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

p.s. how about this:... you have to camp within 50 feet of the sign at the dispersed campsites on FS522 or... how about: not more than 50 feet away from the sign at the dispersed campsites
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/15/2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the intell. 2 day will be good -- allows for more pictures and in fall this place will be wonderful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: