ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help us FIND A MISSING PLANE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
zihuat

PostPosted: 12/8/2006, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Help us FIND A MISSING PLANE Reply to topic Reply with quote

Help! My niece disappeared in a small plane 9 miles SSW of Sedona on 9/24/06. Intensive air-searches have yielded no sign of the plane or its two occupants.
The Last Known Postion (LKP) was 34° 48' 7" N, 111° 56' 52" W
Heading approx. 350° Magnetic. Altitude 5,200' and descending at 500 feet per minute (normal controlled descent rate).
This was a sightseeing trip with no flightplan, and a pilot who liked to "zoom canyons," so the plane (a white Cessna 182 w/brown stripes) may be in an area where trees or terrain might hide it from the air. We are especially interested in a polygon defined by Prescott/Williams/Mormon Lake/Payson/Carefree. This is a process of elimination now folks, and YOU CAN HELP the search effort:
1. Send (or post) details of hikes you've taken in these areas since 9/24 (GPS coords desired, but not necessary. Photos are a +).
2. Planning a trek? Ask us about remote areas that have not yet been groundsearched (or examine our search map -- details below).
A few examples are:
Sycamore Canyon -- esp. upper reaches like Volunteer Canyon and Little LO Spring.
Casper Mtn and Buck Ridge -- esp the NW slopes, in the shadows/trees.
Mooney, Loy, Hart Well, and Secret Canyons.
West Clear Creek Canyon, Beaver Creek Canyon, and the Mogollon Rim.
3. If you were out in a remote area ON the same day the plane vanished (9/24/06) anywhere, we especially would like to hear from you. Even if you did NOT see any low flying planes -- but can give us a time and precise location -- that information is valuable to us.

Details & contact info at http://www.N2700Q.com.
Our Google Earth "placemarks" file, showing the search areas, LKP, and other important info, is available at:
http://www.N2700Q.com/googleearth (it's the "MARSI.kmz" file)
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/24/2009, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Looks Like They Fianlly Found This Plane Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am sorry for the loss but this could bring some closure -
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/04/24/20090424plane-found0424-ON.html

Quote:

Wreckage ID'd as that of long-missing plane
Apr. 24, 2009 04:23 PM
Associated Press
FLAGSTAFF - Coconino County authorities on Friday confirmed the wreckage of a small airplane with two dead in wilderness northwest of Sedona as a plane missing since Sept. 24, 2006.

Searchers found a door buried at the crash site, and detectives said a national aircraft database matched a serial number from a metal door-plate with the tail number of the missing single-engine Cessna.

The plane was piloted by Phoenix attorney William Westover, 54; his passenger was Marcy Randolph, 43.
Coconino County Sheriff's spokesman Gerry Blair said it apparently left the Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix on a sightseeing flight.

The Coconino County Medical Examiner's office has yet to positively identified the remains.

Randolph's father, Phil Randolph is president emeritus of Glendale Community College. He refused to give up the search for his daughter's remains and his efforts led him to enlist the help of a group of volunteers who had helped find the missing airplane wreckage of adventurer Steve Fossett.

Fossett, known for setting a variety of records in balloons, gliders, aircraft and boats, disappeared in September 2007. Wreckage of the plane he was flying was found 13 months later.

The volunteer group's leader came across information that led to finding the Sedona-area crash site on Monday.

Westover's burned plane was found in the Red Rock Secret Mountain Wilderness Area between Oak Creek and Sycamore canyons northwest of Sedona.

The key bit of information was a small fire reported on the same day as the disappearance of Westover's airplane.

The two hikers who had filed the fire report with the U.S. Forest Service helped searchers pinpoint the site, and they later trekked into the canyon to locate wreckage, which had slid beneath trees and rocks and could not be seen from the air.

GTG
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 4/24/2009, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"The key bit of information was a small fire reported on the same day as the disappearance of Westover's airplane. "

Sure strikes me as odd that it took this long to put those details together.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/25/2009, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ME TOO! I really wondered at that bit of info.

Anyway, very sad, and of course, I extend my condolences to the families.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: