ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Links
Links
Clubs & Organizations
Flora and Fauna
Gear & Equipment
Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
Maps, GPS, Orienteering
Miscellaneous
National Forests, Parks and Monuments
Travel & Adventure
All
Clubs & Organizations
Arizona Trail Association   [7305 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The Arizona Trail Association is a membership organization, seeking active supporters of the Trail, coordinating volunteers, and providing other essential services to the Arizona Trail project.  
Arizona Trailblazers Hiking Club   [2300 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Join us for day hikes and camping trips all around Arizona.  
Canine Hiking Club of Arizona   [2810 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Arizona's totally dog friendly outdoor club. Join us for hiking, backpacking, camping, bbq's, water and snow play days, dog park play days, and just plain traildog fun.  
Friend's Hiking, Camping & Outdoor Club   [2639 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Tempe, AZ. based hiking club that offers hiking, backpacking, canoeing, camping trips.  
Grand Canyon Hikers and Backpackers Association   [2969 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The mission of the Grand Canyon Hikers and Backpackers Association is to promote, encourage and advocate the interests of the hiking and backpacking community in the regions of Grand Canyon.  
Greater Phoenix Orienteering Club   [2253 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Greater Phoenix Orienteering Club  
Havasupai Tribe   [2451 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Official site of the Havasupai Tribe. Includes reservation, hiking and hiking information.  
Sonoran Search and Rescue   [2439 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Information on Sonoran Search and Rescue, how to join, and some survival information.  
Squaw Peak Hiker   [2618 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A site dedicated to the hikers of the Squaw Peak area.  
Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona   [2388 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Organizes frequent volunteer project weekends around Arizona. Examples include building elk fence at a Forest Service campground, or the ADA trail at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Seems to be quite well-run, organized and supervised.  

Flora and Fauna
AZ Master Naturalist Blog   [2164 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    News, references, and links for Naturalists and candidates. ---Our mission is creating a corps of well-informed volunteers to deliver quality environmental education programs and to promote stewardship of Arizona's watersheds and natural environment. This is a UofA Cooperative Extension Services Program.  
DesertUSA   [2525 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    DesertUSA is an online guide to the desert regions of the American Southwest.  
Phong's Tarantulas   [2237 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Welcome to my tarantula page. I currently have 55 tarantulas in my closet along with a handful of true spiders, centipedes and other bugs.  
The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation   [2556 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation was created in 1982 by a small group that originally came together as a an informal support group for problems that were the result of traumatic experiences at petting zoos as children. This group realized that there were many others out there who were afraid to come forward with their horrific stories and wanted to find some way to help as many people as they could. The Childhood Goat Trauma Foundation is the result of their dream.  

Gear & Equipment
Backpack Gear Test (BGT)   [3023 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    THE source for backpacking gear reviews by real people who actually own and use the stuff.  
Big Sky International   [2959 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Big Sky International is home of Summit Shelters TM - "Lightest full size double wall freestanding shelter with two doors and two vestibules!"

They have quality products and their owner Bob Molen is an incredibly nice guy. He came out to our Feb. '06, GHOTM, post-hike festivities at the White Tanks Park and personally demonstrated his top of the line tents and jacket line and answered all of our questions.  
Buy | Camping Equipment | Outdoor Clothing   [1703 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    At 4 U Sleeping Bags, we carry all sorts of camping and hiking gear. Check out our camping equipment, outdoor clothing, air beds, and so much more!  
HIKING CAMPING WORLD   [1721 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Our products cover the full range from the adventure fitness buff to the family vacationer to the nature lover. We provide a secure low cost shopping experience for brand name gear fast to your door.  
Summit Hut   [7804 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A great outdoors store in Tucson.  
Tarptent Ultralight Shelters   [2857 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Tarptents are ultralight, mobile shelters that shed everything from flying bugs to summer snow. Elegant and airy, Tarptents set up virtually anywhere. Designed by and for the outdoor enthusiast, Tarptents keep you dry and sane no matter the elements. Made in the U.S.A and constructed of the lightest and highest quality materials available, Tarptents let you focus on the joy of the journey, not on the pain of getting there.  
The Ultralight Backpacking Site   [2292 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Ultralight backpacking information, resources, photos, and tips. Also has hiking adventure stories, and gear recommendations.  

Hiking, Backpacking, Camping
2az.us   [2515 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Hiking Trails and maps  
All Hikers   [2060 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Website for Grand Canyon hikers.  
Arizona Highways Hike of the Month   [2717 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Monthly hike feature from Arizona Highways Magazine.  
Arizona Highways Hike of the Month Archive   [2548 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Arizona Highways Magazine Hike of the Month features from 2001 to the present.  
Arizona Hiker's Haven   [2599 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Arizona Hiker's Haven Hiking Trails around AZ including Grand Canyon, Wilderness areas, Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff

An indexed link site categorized by areas & trails to easily help you find trails and hikes throughout the state of Arizona. Also links to groups, clubs, techniques for hiking and relevant conservation & ecology.  
Arizona Hiking Trails   [2529 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Hiking descriptions and trail details.  
Arizona Trail ebook   [2049 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A free ebook for thruhikers of the Arizona Trail. This site has the most updated info on the AZT that I've found - far better than print sources.  
Arizona's 20-20 Challenge   [2329 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Arizona's 20 highest peaks and 20 deepest canyons.  
AzStarnet.com Hiking Section   [2376 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Hiking page from Tucson's Arizona Daily Stars. Mostly covers southern Arizona trails, but has some coverage from other areas of the state.  
Bob's Rock Shop - Grand Hikes - Links   [2309 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Very thorough and informative link site for hiking and backpacking  
bodyresults   [3814 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    How to get in shape for outdoor activities.  
Canine Hiking Club of Arizona   [2810 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Arizona's totally dog friendly outdoor club. Join us for hiking, backpacking, camping, bbq's, water and snow play days, dog park play days, and just plain traildog fun.  
Climb Utah   [2564 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Good descriptions of canyoneering/climbing/hiking in Utah, including treks into Zion, Escalante, Paria, and the Robbers Roost areas.  
Compass Monkey   [2371 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Compass Monkey includes indepth features, gear and apparel reviews, tips and techniques, weather information, a community for enthusiasts, trip planning assistance, sports-related news, health and training advice – something for everyone from the novice to the hardcore enthusiast.  
Grand Canyon Hikers and Backpackers Association   [2969 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The mission of the Grand Canyon Hikers and Backpackers Association is to promote, encourage and advocate the interests of the hiking and backpacking community in the regions of Grand Canyon.  
Havasupai Tribe   [2451 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Official site of the Havasupai Tribe. Includes reservation, hiking and hiking information.  
Hike Arizona .com   [4007 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A valuable resource for Hikers in Arizona. Walkthroughs, maps, photos, discussions - all about Hiking Arizona.  
Hiking, Trekking & Camping @ ABC-of-Hiking.com   [2624 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    All Hiking, Trekking & Camping Information on our Hiking Portal. Hiking Tips & Techniques, Hiking Equipment Buying Guides and all information you need to go Hiking.  
OneDayHikes   [2551 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    "The best day hikes and hiking trails of the world." Extensive site listing numerous dayhikes from all over the world. Hikes vary from easy to strenuous.  
Prescott Area Trail Maps   [2516 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    This site has an A - Z index of most, if not all, of the trails in the Prescott area.  
Slackpacker   [2600 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The Slackpacker's Guide to Hiking Trails & Wilderness Travel  
Slot Canyons of the Southwest   [4015 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Brief trail descriptions along with gorgeous photos of various slot canyons in the southwest. Various other hiking information is available by state, then broken down into national parks, monuments, and preservation areas.  
Squaw Peak Hiker   [2618 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A site dedicated to the hikers of the Squaw Peak area.  
Summitpost.com   [3632 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Here you'll find climbing info on a growing selection of mountains worldwide. This site is built by its members. Come sign summitlogs, add your photos or add mountains and routes that have not been submitted yet. Check out the Arizona Mountains section while your there!  
Superstition Wilderness Trails   [1820 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A website published by authors Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart with descriptions of trails in the Superstitions as well as information on purchasing their trail guides.

Hiking and horse riding through the Superstition Wilderness is always more fun when you know the history of the mountains and the stories of those who lived nearby and traveled on your trail.

GPS coordinates and detailed maps with links to the text in our books will keep you on track for an enjoyable day or overnight trek into the wilds.  
Texas Hiking   [4276 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Texas Hiking is your guide to the many opportunities to experience the wonder of the state of Texas as it was meant to be, on horseback excluded of course. We're building up a database of hiking trails all over Texas and will highlight them with descriptions and photos as fast as we can. You can contribute and help encourage others to get outside and experience Texas firsthand. Currently Texas Hiking features writeups, maps, photos and official information on 405 hike areas that cover 1779 miles throughout Texas.  
The Dirtbagger's Deluxe   [2336 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    When I told Darrel I was making a web site touting the virtues of lightweight backpacking he guilted me into sharing the site with his twisted hiking style known as 'dirtbagging'.  
The Guz Guide - Trail Reviews   [2577 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    These are some of the backpacking trips I have done with descriptions and reviews of each trip. I also tried to include water conditions that I found on each trip. If you would like to add you own description to one of the existing trips or add a new one, don't hesitate to contact me at guz@guzguide.com Updated water conditions are especially appreciated.  
TheBackpacker.com   [2425 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A site dedicated to backpacking with beginning issues up to advanced topics.  
Todd's Desert Hiking Guide   [2815 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Information about places to hike, how they rate, things to carry, and some of the risks involved in exploring the beautiful deserts of the Southwest.  
Touch The Top   [4685 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Erik Weihenmayer is a world class athlete: acrobatic skydiver, long distance biker, and marathon runner, skier, mountaineer, ice climber, rock climber. He is also a prolific speaker and author of Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See.  

Maps, GPS, Orienteering
Greater Phoenix Orienteering Club   [2253 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Greater Phoenix Orienteering Club  
    A valuable resource for Hikers in Arizona. Walkthroughs, maps, photos, discussions - all about Hiking Arizona.  
Horizon Tracking Service LLC   [1852 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Tracking bio For Bob Matthews: Horizon Tracking Service LLC Much of my skill base comes from learning from my father who was a member of the Aberdaire Rangers in Kenya during the Mau-Mau war. “This is a group that was behind the enemy lines for four years with out support they lived off the land.” My main focus now is using my other skill base in the field of backcountry skills instruction. With an emphasis on my most well developed as a Tracker. I have instructed many different groups in the art/skill, As a child I spent all the free time I had to learn from some of the traditional Romany Gypsies that lived in our village; about all the ways England’s countryside would provide for good living. My own history has taken me to different areas of the world to learn more, I tracked with Hugaret Bedouine with the Israeli army taking part in border patrols as part of a tracking team. In 1982 during a visit to Morocco I was invited to travel with Nomadic Tuaregs, we traveled about 1/3rd of the length of the Sahara in South Eastern Morocco, It just coincided with the start of a war during which King Hassan II decided to gain land; this resulted in my traveling group being caught between three different armies, it was a very interesting learning curve to be on. I gained a level of knowledge and experience that is difficult to measure. With breathing being the true certification, standard of success. I have held varied high security clearances, ranging from White house background a Secret service approval in the 1980’s Also helping USFW that included an extensive clearance check. Plus Interpol background check; I attended the Conservation Law Enforcement Association conferences held in Prescott and training seminars. I have assisted different Law enforcement agencies in The USA, absolute Confidentiality is a requirement. My wildlife focused interests: I was hired to guide a team from the Philips organization’s CD rom development program, locating various rattle snakes .for which I have credits on the production team. Also been a wrangler with lizards working on a movie production,” Prey and the sequel Prey again”. As the cofounder of a small zoo in Prescott Arizona I have been involved in many rescues of injured wildlife, during which operations tracking was crucial, to safely locate and catch said animals. It was often a matter of tracking several days after the animal’s plight started. During twenty years of living in Prescott I have provided a rattle snake rescue free of charge, I have volunteered with The AZ Game and Fish in a number of capacities.  
Libre Map Project   [2023 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Libre Map Project: The purpose of the Libre Map Project is to aggregate and make digital maps and related GIS data available for Free.  
MyTopo.com   [2590 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Custom-build a printed topo or aerial photo map. From Beartooth Mapping, Inc.  
Orienteering/Compass Work   [2238 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Deals with all types of orienteering, compass work, direction, etc.  
SwopNet Waypoint DataBank   [2205 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    The web's largest collection of GPS waypoints and databases of waypoints.  
Terra Server Imagery   [2217 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    These are images of anywhere in the United States. Along with demographics, topo maps, and many other things.  
Topozone.com   [2088 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    TopoZone is the Web's center for recreational and professional topographic map users. Topozone has every USGS 1:100,000, 1:63,360, 1:25,000, and 1:24,000 scale topographic map for the entire United States.  
Wayhoo.com - GPS Waypoints   [2481 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Searchable list of waypoints for the state of AZ.  
Wide World of Maps   [2229 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Wide World of Maps is the most complete map store in the Southwest, carrying every U.S.G.S. topographic map for Arizona, along with more than one million other maps, books and related items.  

Miscellaneous
FILMS FOUND IN OLD CAMERAS   [1914 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    On the next few pages you'll find photographs I produced using a variety of cameras. There are photos taken with toy, vintage, pinhole and other unusual cameras. You'll also see photographs from films I processed that I found in old cameras. There are photos showing the same subjects decades apart.  

National Forests, Parks and Monuments
Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest   [2728 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest Website  
Coconino National Forest   [2825 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Coconino National Forest Website  
Coronado National Forest   [2501 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Coronado National Forest Website  
Grand Canyon Explorer   [2279 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Bob Ribokas 's Ultimate Guide to the Grandcanyon Backcountry. Excellent side with comprehensive information for planning backcountry trips in the Grand Canyon !  
Grand Canyon National Park   [2326 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Official website for Grand Canyon National Park  
Kaibab National Forest   [2431 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Kaibab National Forest Website  
Parks Travel Guide   [2193 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Video clips of different parks.
Plus extra information.  
Prescott National Forest   [4076 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Prescott National Forest Website  
Slot Canyons of the Southwest   [4015 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Brief trail descriptions along with gorgeous photos of various slot canyons in the southwest. Various other hiking information is available by state, then broken down into national parks, monuments, and preservation areas.  
Tonto National Forest   [3052 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Tonto National Forest Website  
U S Bureau of Land Management, Arizona   [3715 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Federal land management agency for public lands in Arizona.  

Travel & Adventure
DesertUSA   [2525 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    DesertUSA is an online guide to the desert regions of the American Southwest.  
OutdoorSnapshots.com   [1782 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    Variety of outdoor photos...many more to be added soon.  
Superstition Wilderness Trails   [1820 clicks] :: [-> Add to Favorites]
    A website published by authors Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart with descriptions of trails in the Superstitions as well as information on purchasing their trail guides.

Hiking and horse riding through the Superstition Wilderness is always more fun when you know the history of the mountains and the stories of those who lived nearby and traveled on your trail.

GPS coordinates and detailed maps with links to the text in our books will keep you on track for an enjoyable day or overnight trek into the wilds.