ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Humphreys Peak, January 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know how far it is from the hwy to snowbowl TH?
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
Anyone know how far it is from the hwy to snowbowl TH?

7 miles.
This really pisses me off that they close the road. They used to have a sign that just simply told you if it was open or not. It's probably to keep people off the slopes since they are closed.
A few of years ago I went up there and had fun on the slopes before they were open.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like the gang from MA caught a break... Snowbowl road is scheduled to re-open in the a.m.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/news/2004/1-5-04-snowbowl-rd.shtml
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is this something new with the FS gating snowbowl road or is this part of the plan to keep everyone else off the mtn? Seems like this move started several years back when they posted the entire mtn as "no parking" I believe almost the entire mtn or at least the road area is national forest so why are they keeping the serious outdoor people out--can't even snowplay which is another sore subject.

The guy answering the phones at snowbowl said the road was open to employees but not the public and also something about keeping the tourists away for now?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snowbowl just announced people will be skiing the mtn starting Friday.

We'll have to hear the report back from the MA gang but a base/base of 13 inches doesn't seem like much snow to ski Idea
Jeff12633

PostPosted: 1/6/2004, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My guess is they've probably been grooming the heck out of what snow they have to try to get the slopes open as early as possible, and don't want anyone up there playing or trampling in it before they're ready. After so many years of lousy skiing, they must really be hurting for some business!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/7/2004, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope the gang from MA don't get stuck in a white out on Humphreys as reports indicate its snowing right now in Flagstaff.

Forecast was for maybe a little snow but things can be alot different at the 12,000ft level.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/7/2004, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The mountain was enveloped in cloud most of the day. Not too much snow, no wind here in town--I don't think the views were more than a few feet at a time.
koz

PostPosted: 1/11/2004, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Trip report posted Reply to topic Reply with quote

Greetings all:

First of all, thank you very much to all of you who responded to my request for info. In particular, I have to acknowledge sam_hikes, not only for the waypoints but for all the valuable info.

I've posted a trip report in that section of this forum, and will eventually have pictures available once all our efforts are collected and burned onto a CD-Rom.

For several reasons we ended up turning around shy of the summit. As I put it in my trip report: not that I really needed a reason to come back to Arizona some day!

Thanks again to all of you, and maybe when I'm back to claim AZ's highpoint I'll see some of you along the trail!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: