ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Humphreys Peak, January 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
koz

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Humphreys Peak, January 7 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello all:

First, my apologies for the intrusion of a non-Arizonan to this forum.

Four of us are flying out Tuesday to climb Humphreys Peak Wednesday and enjoy as many of Arizona's great outdoor offerings as we can before we have to head back to the cold Northeast.

I've been following as many online sources as I can find for conditions up there, but would love any beta you could provide. Last I heard the Snow Bowl Road was closed due to icy conditions and there was a foot of snow at the trailhead. Weather, conditions, suggested gear: all comments welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a hard time getting trail condition info when I climbed it last in Dec 02.

Suggest you contact Snowbowl switchboard and talk with ski patrol and snow conditions at their top/bottom... Note: their chairlift only goes to 11,400+ feet vs Humphreys Peak is 12,633.

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/

Has your group ever done a snow climb over 12,000ft before?

Altitude sickness can kill people and is something everyone needs to be aware of since it doesn't matter how good of shape you are in>>>many suggest actually camping at/near trailhead a couple days before the hike. At least spend a couple nights in nearby Flagstaff.

Let us know how the climb goes--many of the Flagstaff locals do Humphreys year-round but often have snowshoe it.

Send me an instant msg offline if you have further questions for me.
koz

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Snow Bowl and permits Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! I've been watching the conditions section of the Snow Bowl's web page, but hadn't thought to call them, since they're not open yet and the reports (as far as skiing) are not promising.

Just found out from the FS' web page & a phone call to the Ranger Station that we'll need to get permits to proceed up Snow Bowl Road and park there. Seems like a new thing.

Our group has a variety of experience and, I trust, enough knowledge among us to know when it's best not to proceed. My last experience out west was going from basically sea level (where I live) to the summit of NM's Wheeler Peak in <24 hours, so I'm hoping my resistance to AS continues.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Bowl and permits Reply to topic Reply with quote

koz wrote:
Thanks! I've been watching the conditions section of the Snow Bowl's web page, but hadn't thought to call them, since they're not open yet and the reports (as far as skiing) are not promising.

Just found out from the FS' web page & a phone call to the Ranger Station that we'll need to get permits to proceed up Snow Bowl Road and park there. Seems like a new thing.

I've had the same problem with the Forest Service and per Brian from the Peaks District FS you don't need a permit unless something has changed since last year. Parking permit is only needed when Snowbowl is open to skiing and even then many don't get them. Ask to speak to FS Brian and he'll have the answer.

FS probably didn't have any snowfall amounts but if you can reach the ski patrol they should be able to provide better info.

Suspect you might want or need instep crampons or yaktrax foot gear for better traction. Doubt full cramptons are ever needed on the mtn but snowshoes are often required.

Are you going to camp on the mtn?
koz

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Permits, Brian and camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about Brian from the FS. This all came about because the FS page says the Snow Bowl road is closed until at least 1/3, and after that you will not be allowed to head up all the way to the Snow Bowl parking lot unless you already have a permit. Don't know how they plan on enforcing this or if it's new, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

We have a cheap place booked for Tuesday night in Flagstaff, but I may have my team bring two 2-man tents for a worst-case scenario (like a locked gate across the Snow Bowl road that forces us to hike in). In that case we'd probably camp on the mountain. I don't know how much snow you guys are getting out there, but it seems to me that the Weatherford or Aubineau approaches would be 1) longer, 2) more avalanche-prone and 3) also subject to FS road closures.

Personally I have everything from snowshoes to insteps to full crampons, so I should be all set. We'll be doing final gear checks/inventories this weekend before flying out.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like FS has changed things and is using the free permits & TH registers for SAR on Humphreys.

I think this is new this year as last year it was suppose to be just a parking permit.

Hope you are renting a 4x4 as FS site claims road is very icy too and new storm is coming in tonight.

More info for FS site which you probably already saw...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/conditions/index.shtml

Road Closed (Icy Conditions) This road will open on Saturday, Jan. 3rd, but only to the Aspen Curve and parking will not be allowed there. Those wishing to hike Humphreys Trail and already have a permit will be able to drive all the way to Snowbowl and park in the Snowbowl parking lot

For Immediate Release
November 21, 2003

Backcountry Permits Now Available
Flagstaff, AZ - Kachina Peaks Wilderness Access permits, commonly known as backcountry permits, are now available at the Peaks and Mormon Lake Ranger Districts. This free permit is designed to help inform backcountry snow recreationists about travel hazards, and to assist the Forest Service and the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office with search and rescue should that become necessary. Permits are only required for accessing the backcountry from Arizona Snowbowl and the Snowbowl Road.

Backcountry permits are valid for the entire winter and are designed for snowshoers, cross-country skiers and snowboarders using the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. Permits are required to be displayed in the front windshield of the permit holder’s vehicle if the vehicle is parked at the Lamar Haines trailhead, the entrance of the Freidlein Prairie Road (Forest Road 522) or the Arizona Snowbowl Ski Area.

In addition to having a permit, backcountry campers, skiers and snowboarders who launch their trip from the Ski Area or the Snowbowl Road also need to enter information in one of three trip registers. The Coconino National Forest added a new trip register location at the Lamar Haines trailhead on Snowbowl Road last year. The others are at the ticket window at the Hart Prairie Lodge and near the top of the Agassiz chairlift.

“We want people to enjoy backcountry winter activities—but with a high degree of safety,” said Steve Jenner, snow ranger for the Peaks Ranger District. “The information we’re asking for is intended to help people avoid dangers associated with avalanches and hypothermia. When someone reads the hazard warnings on the permit, it usually makes them stop and think for a few moments, and this is often exactly what is needed to introduce the element of caution that can save a person’s life.”

Backcountry permits, which again are free of charge, are available at the Peaks or the Mormon Lake Ranger Stations during the week. Once the Arizona Snowbowl opens, permits may also be obtained at the ticket window at the Agassiz Lodge on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 AM until noon. For more information, call the Peaks Ranger Station at (928) 526-0866 or the Mormon Lake Ranger Station at (928) 774-1147.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome info sam_hikes!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One more thing FS Brian did mention is once there's snow cover there are no off trail restrictions so basically feel free to make your own trail.

This means you can ignore the no off trail hiking signs which only applies when there's no snow.

I wondered about this because I saw a new route/trail up the side of the mountain that several people had blazed in the snow which I thought was illegal. Snowshoes probably work best for going straight up the mtn.

You are also free to bring your skiis and ski the resort side or hiking area when Snowbowl is not open.
Jeff12633

PostPosted: 1/2/2004, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Humphreys Peak Snow Conditions Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oliver,

I talked to you several times before about this topic, but I don't remember if I mentioned calling the Peaks District Ranger's Office. The number is (928) 526-0866. In the past I've always asked for Steve Jenner, who is one of their Winter climbing experts.

Have you checked out the Snowbowl web site? Thet have a snow report at http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/interior/winteractivities/snowreport.html, though right now it says there's no snow at all! They're usually pretty reliable, though.

There's also a live image at http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/interior/winteractivities/liveimage.htm where you can see the conditions on the South side of the peaks (from a distance, at least) for yourself. Once the live image frame loads, just click on Start Control, and when you get control (they give you 45 seconds) select San Francisco Peaks from the pulldown menu at the bottom.

Keep in mind that whatever the snow conditions reported by the Snowbowl, the snow in the trees is likely to be a little deeper and a little softer. The trail can be hard to find where it goes into the woods, but once you find it it's usually easy to follow because it always seems to be broken by snowshoers within a day or two after a snowfall.

Warning: Snowshoes are a must if there's more than 18-24 inches of snow!!!

Jeff
koz

PostPosted: 1/3/2004, 5:31 am    Post subject: Routefinding Reply to topic Reply with quote

Finding the trail may be an issue, though I hope as you say some intrepid folks make it out there between Sunday & Tuesday to lay down some tracks. The forecast doesn't mention snow after today. The guy at one of your REIs made it sound like we wouldn't be able to find the trail through the trees (?) if nobody had blazed it yet, since there are no markers on the trees themselves. I trust if it's a major issue we can go up alongside the trees (Hart Prairie lift line?) and take a left at the ridgeline. I've also read somewhere that there are two trails that leave from that general area, one leading to a campground and not up Humphreys.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/3/2004, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know how much snow we got up on the peaks but there is just a dusting here in Flagstaff.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/3/2004, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any of your crew bringing along a GPS... I've got the entire trail gps'd from previous climbs up to the top.

Send me an IM if your interested.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from Flagstaff. At my parents there was about 4 inches of snow. I'd have to imagine that the Peaks got quite a bit up there.

BTW, there is no need for the apologies for the intrusion of being a non-Arizonan. This site is a very good informational site for both people here in AZ and out of staters. There are a few of people here that are not living in AZ. Nice for you to drop in and ask your questions.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Snowbowl road still closed to the public per FS.

Check out their page below for latest info.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/conditions/index.shtml
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/5/2004, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It has been so danged cold nothing is melting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: