ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sunglasses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Sunglasses? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody found a pair that really works for them? I've been using a pair I picked up at the Mesa Marketplace Swapmeet for about $7....I've got two pairs of Smiths, both for mtn biking that I feel are too bulky....

I'd love a pair of Oakley M-Frames, but can't part with the $150 for a pair of sunglasses...

Can anyone recommend a good pair?

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usually pick up a cheap pair of fake Wayfarers at the grocery or drugstore. I'm too rough on sunglasses to consider investing in them.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same here, they are a wasting and often lost asset. Supermarket ones for me.
tracker

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always bought sunglasses from the Mesa Swapmeet, but they were always to heavy. I found a golfing shop at the Casa Grande Outlets (Tanger) They have those Eagle Eyes, the ones that take out all the blue. They cost me $15 and you get a hard case for them. They are really light weight. Any awesome addition to my outside equipment. Crazy
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 9:14 am    Post subject: sunglasses Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a $20.00 pair from Walgreens. They're what I call Sun City Sunglasses. They fit over my regular glasses and they block sun from all sides. They're not quite as big as safety glasses, but I've only seen the older folk wearing them besides me.

GTG
phrankster

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:'d love a pair of Oakley M-Frames, but can't part with the $150 for a pair of sunglasses...
Unfortunately I have to wear Rx lenses Shocked , so I splurged on a pair of Oakley M-Frames and have been very happy with them for the past 3 years. They have a good warrantee on their products and back it up too. I won't mention how much I had to pay for them either Crazy On the other hand it may be all in how you handle your glasses, if you're prone to lose or break'em then get an inexpensive pair, but if you take care of them pay the $$$ it's better in the long run or walk or hike, etc.
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Sunglasses Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer glass lenses. The carbonite and plastic ones just scratch too easily.

Having said that, I have found that Sierra Trading Post usually has good glasses relatively cheap. I bought a pair of Bolle Glacier glasses about four years ago for 30 bucks. They have "wrap-around-the-ear" temples and glass lenses. I use them for bicycling and backpacking. They have held up great for the abuse I put them through.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got two pair for twenty bucks down at a stand in Tempe. I am rough on sunglasses so it would be in my best interest to stick with the cheapos.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 5:04 pm    Post subject: shades Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got the Karakoram Model from REI. They have both polarized glass and non-polarized polycarbonate models. They have removable side shield pieces too. Under $80.

Only problem is when excessive sweat from trying to catch up to The Flash (aka Kurthzone) on an uphill trail splashes all over them. The best bet for that is an anti-fog gel for the lenses. REI used to sell one, the trade name is "Cat Crap" (Dunno why....it would be hard to see out of glasses covered in....) but they didn't have any last week.

As someone above said, it's always good to check Sierra Trading Post for hot deals....-Randy
Hopalong

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to an unwanted gift of perfume from an department store I was able to return the perfume and got myself some expensive sunglasses that are great for hiking in. I like 'em to not be too dark and to wrap around my eyes.

Now I just gotta smell good whenever the gift giver is around. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: